Off the court tidbits from the venue

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2003' started by kwun, Mar 24, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    During the China vs. Indonesia WD match, I walked around the court to look for alternative camera angles. While I walked behind the stands next to the practice court, I saw Candra and Sigit, both sitting at the floor next to the wall. Since they just lost to the Chinese in the match, they were obviously disappointed and their coaches were there apparently counseling them. They must have expected to win and to have lost it in two straight games must be disappointing indeed.

The mixed doubles game wasn’t played as China already won the match. However, after the match was over and before the Denmark/Korea semi final, I saw Gao Ling and Zhang Jun come out to the court to do some drills, along with them is their coach (Chen Hing Dong??) and Li Yongbo. As they won’t be playing any matches, they won’t be playing at all today, so it was a good idea for them to stretch their muscles a little bit. In the beginning, it was coach + Zhang + Gao. With Gao + coach on one side and Zhang running all around the court retrieving the shuttle. Zhang while running all over the court, he didn’t show much tiredness. I also noticed that he did lose some weight and no longer as fat boy as he was a few months ago. Zhang was looking really sharp.

After a few minutes, Li Yongbo came out and chatting a little bit with the coach, afterwards, he took off his jacket and started playing against Zhang. The drill was Zhang has to cover full court and he has to return every shots back to Li who stands at the front corner. And while that sounds hard, add on to that Li’s shot was so deceptive it was lethal and mean at the same time. It was a very nice stroke display from Li indeed. I was so tempted to go out and ask if we can go and hit a few shots with them. How about a Zhang/Gao vs Kwun/Janet? I was too chicken and in no time, the Korea vs. Denmark match was about to start.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here is Candra sitting down on the floor talking to his coach. the guy on green is talking to Sigit who is off the picture.

Attached Files:

• cs.jpg
      cs.jpg
      File size:
      28.5 KB
      Views:
  3. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Obvious dissapointment from them both..