Nozomi Okuhara ( 奥原希望 )

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Sep 27, 2011.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ha ha, back to the dinosaur era. i don't know how old you are but it used to be like that. ws played to 11 until rally scoring was implemented after 2005 wc.

i am not agreeing or disagreeing with any of your points above and i tend not to argue emotionally about rule changes installed by the sport. but i will say/ask this:
    if it is reduced to 11 points do women deserve equal prize money?

in truth they won't be playing an equivalent game... this is a current tennis argument, best of 3 for women vs. best of 5 for men, yet equal prize money for women who have done less work in a tournament.

has this case never been brought to the court of arb. for sport?

#481 samkool, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    LenaicM likes this.
  2. Pagz

Pagz Regular Member

You get the price money for winning a tournament and not for the work you put into your victory. so even in that fictional scenario, women would still deserve the same amount of price money. It's like the CEO of a big company. He/she get's paid for the success of the company and not for the hours he/she works.
    Nevertheless I am still against changing the existing rules. It would imply that women aren't capable of playing three full games withouth loss of quality, which imo isn't the case (not aymore than for men at least).

LenaicM likes this.
  3. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    on that point, i totally agree with you. the issue is always raised by the male tennis players. the popular women counter with 'my matches sell more tickets than yours', to which they have a point, depending on the players. read this if you're interested: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/11/des...nement-prizes-tennis-still-has-a-pay-gap.html ... i don't want to clog this place w/ off topic stuff.
    fictional? from 2012: http://www.badminton-information.com/badminton_lean_towards_equal_pay.html ... bobby milroy was an ex-top canadian player.
    not so. the majority of companies pay c-suite folks a salary. if the company loses money you still get paid. you may eventually get fired if the losses continue, but you still get your salary for as long as you're employed. major int'l companies will have typical bonus incentives, but again, you get a salary no matter what happens.
    agreed. it's ignorant to even consider a rule change shortening the women's game. there's no logical basis for it.

4. Pagz

Pagz Regular Member

By "fictional scenario" I meant a scenario where women only play to 11 in the third set.

Yes but a CEO will get the same pay wether he works 60 or 80 hours a week if the outcome is the same. That's why I used this example. But that's off topic, so I will leave it at that.

5. Nozomi Okuhara

Nozomi Okuhara New Member

Quick question, does anyone know what strings she (Okuhara) uses?

6. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Mizuno Altius, one of highest price rackets.

7. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Apparently, she uses M-SMOOTH 65H.

[​IMG]

8. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Well you would know Nozomi :p:p:p

Cheung likes this.
  9. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

Speaking of her Altius racquet, how easily can it be obtained if money wasn't a big issue? I understand it's produced in limited quantities only. Is it only available in Japan? I don't trust buying stuff like this online either.

10. Nozomi Okuhara

Nozomi Okuhara New Member

Lol maybe someone buys the racket if its available in Rakuten Japan. Anyone know if you can buy stuff from there as someone out of Japan? Such as the US?

11. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

It's amazing how she runs around the court. Never gives up.

Cunning Linguist, Giga01 and s_mair like this.
  12. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    A lot of valuable lessons for everyone from today's match between Okuhara vs Sindhu. I feel inspired from her attitude.

1. She never gave up.
    2. After a heartbreaking (kind of insulting) loss to PV during WC'19 finals, the way she replied today is just pure gold.
    3. She has raised like a Phoenix there. After losing 6 finals last year and losing game 1 badly, she still fought hard.
    4. Realistically it is often hard and panicky to play long rallies after committing a lot of unforced errors in game 1, she still stick to her game.

Respect.
    Take a bow.

Cheung, billiex, Justin L and 3 others like this.
  13. terrynguyen121988

What Nozomi's racket now ? I see it help her more than Tour J (white).

14. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

She's an inspiration to many. Short people are generally look down upon and taunted. Players like Nozomi, Akane, Kevin, Marcus have shown that short height players can do pretty well in sports. Nozomi never backs down. After losing first game to Sindhu, I thought it would be another humiliating loss for Nozomi but the way she fought back really impressed me. I supported Sindhu and felt very low when she was losing but Nozomi deserved the win. Good luck, I hope she wins the title :oops::oops:

15. badmintonpog1

badmintonpog1 Regular Member

Wannabe
    It is the Special Edition, Altius 01 Feel. The original colorway is white and gold, which I have :)

[​IMG]

terrynguyen121988 and LenaicM like this.
  16. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Beautiful paint job. Reminds me of the colour palette of a luxury car. Simple but works for me.

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  17. terrynguyen121988

"Good racket" but too expensive (compared with Yonex).

In Japan, maybe Yonex racket's price is also the same Mizuno, but Yonex has "SP code" for other markets in which Yonex rackets were sold with a lower price. So that, with the same money, we can buy 1 Mizuno racket or 1 Yonex racket + 1 good Yonex shoes.

For example, with the money we have to pay for buying Altius 01 Feel, I can buy a Astrox 100 zz + 65z shoes.

badmintonpog1 likes this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    See Nozomi's stunt at around 1.20. That guy was brave!

It also shows a picture of her after surgery around 2013. Looks like she had the meniscus in both knees operated on at the same time. That's quite unusual for someone so young.

19. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I was so surpised to see that video clip of NO doing some wall training in Japan :p. I have no idea what is this building and if the apartment behind that wall is hers or not but I would not dare wall training in Japan as I would be scared to disturb others with the noise pollution it would generate. May be it would be ok?! :eek:

badmintonpog1 and samkool like this.
  20. dbolf

dbolf Regular Member

Software Developer