Nozomi not taking photos now?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Magwitch, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

I assume it's because of Covid or the fear of getting sick, but the only player who said no to a photo with me recently was Nozomi Okuhara. I spoke to another group who told me she wasn't doing photos. I'm pretty sure she literally just said "No" and then smiled in my direction. Just wondering if anyone has experiences trying to get photos with her.

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You do realize that she has every right in the world to simply say "no!" to having photos taken taken with her, don't you? If she did that in a friendly and polite way, there is no reason whatsoever to drag this online and make it a thing.

3. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

1. She is learning English, I am sure she did her best not to sound rude with her available vocabulary.
    2. She might be frustrated at the moment you asked (bad personal news? A defeat? A sponsor who dropped her? Her coach who charged her a bit after a match/tournament?).
    3. She might soon go to a country where covid restrictions are still in effect (such as quarantine in case of a positive test) so she might wish to avoid contacts with people as much as she possibly can.
    4. She does have the right to refuse for whatever other reasons.

s_mair likes this.
  4. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

Yes I do realise that. I didn't mean to convey that I was criticising her for saying no. I was just curious to know if my guess on why she said no is correct. If people here reported experiences of her saying yes to photos before Covid but not after then that would indicate I was right.

5. Kaydee

Kaydee Regular Member

Your guess is just that...a guess. If you really need to feel validated the only way to know is to ask her herself.

6. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

You are right. I don't need to feel validated. She has the right to say no whether because she's sick of posing for photos, is shy, or just doesn't feel like it at the time. And I would never ask a player why they didn't want a photo. That isn't a comfortable or fair question. When she said no I just said okay and walked away.

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

What difference would that make? Just accept the fact and move on.

It's now over two years since I wrote that for you. Seems like you're still not quite there.

8. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

I have accepted the fact and moved on, if you've read what I said in response to you. If you don't think I've accepted it you are entitled to your opinion and I'm not going to try to change your mind. I don't think you're basing your views on what I'm saying in this thread.

As far as your quote from something years ago, I'm not sure I recall your name and it sounds like you are interpreting my actions this time through something posted years ago. I was mildly disappointed at the time like many who can't get a photo with a hero of theirs, but the same day I got a photo with an Olympic champ and former world number one, so that more than makes up for it. I am happy I got to speak to Nozomi.

I'd also add that I was NOT surprised that any player said no to a photo. Given how a lot of the Asian players wore masks outside it wouldn't have surprised me if a lot more of them said no to a photo. Some of the players don't speak English, so might also not understand what I'm asking. You made the insulting comment I'm still not quite there all based on a pure guess that I expected all the players to want photos.