Notorious Korea Open

Discussion in 'Korean Open 2004 / Japan Open 2004' started by tama-aki, Mar 22, 2004.

1. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Years after years there have always been reports that the line judges and referees in this tournament are big issues. When home players are in action, the verdict always in favour of them.

It happens in other countries too, but from what I read there's nothing like Korea Open. I remember the last Asian Games where Taufik Hidayat refused to play in the middle of the game after line judges make repeated false calls in favour of Shon.

Only after a hard lobbying from the organiser who didn't want to ruin the game's reputation, then Taufik finally continued the game.....after more than 4 hours delay.

Hope this year isn't the same........

2. da ding

da ding Regular Member

Student
    Indeed... I remember the Korea Open finals last year... especially in the game between Kenneth Jonassen and Park Tae Sang in the mens singles final, even such a sporting and composed player like Jonassen was infuriated by the numerous outrageous line calls in favor of his Korean opponent. He had an understandable outburst in the middle of the game and after that, the line judges were slightly more cautious wtih their calls--on a few shots, they first made incorrect calls in favour of Park, and upon seeing the expression on Jonassen's face, quickly changed the call!

hope this doesn't happen again..it really undermines the spirit of the game

3. SmartCivet

SmartCivet Regular Member

SOFTWARE ENGINEER
    Same with you!

4. silvia

silvia Regular Member

Korea will never change....forever of doing that............nt only in badminton...
    they are just so so so afraid to lose................

5. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    i think it already happen alot of times..... n yup i agree with silvia, it's not only in badminton.... the world cup (soccer) a couple of yrs back was also the same....

but i was wondering.... if they r so unfair n bias
    y shld the rest of the players play in korea???
    they'll never get their fair share of judgements n scores... it's like wasting of time n energy :mad: :mad: :mad:

juz some of my 2¢ views :cool:

6. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    why??
    the answer's easy : it's a 5* tournament and there are lot's of world ranking points to gain!

even Taufik is playing in Korea... (normal, he needs points!)

7. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    yah.... but the game is obviously in favour to their korean players....
    tat's y i say the other players r not getting their fair share of judgement n scores :mad: