No gold, but accolades for Choong Hann

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2006 Badminton' started by ants, Mar 26, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    March 27
    TheStar
    NATIONAL top singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei and top men's pair Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat lived up to their top billing to win the gold medals in their respective events at the Melbourne Exhibition Centre here yesterday.

But it was veteran Wong Choong Hann, who received the loudest cheers yesterday.

Debutant Chong Wei continued to show that there was a huge gulf in standard between him and Choong Hann after breezing to a 21-13, 21-12 win in the men's singles final.

Immediately after the win, Chong Wei, the world number two gave due credit to Choong Hann.

Wong Choong Hann and Lee Chong Wei show off their men’s singles medals.
    “I do not know where he gets his energy but Choong Hann has really been playing so many matches here. He probably would have given a better fight if not for his hectic schedule,” said Chong Wei.

“I came here expecting to win gold and I am happy that I have achieved it,” added Chong Wei, who is the seventh Malaysian men singles champion in the Games series.

While Chong Wei was celebrating his victory, Choong Hann rushed to get ready for his second final of the day – the men's doubles against teammate and top seeds Chong Ming-Kien Keat.

Except for several exciting rallies, Choong Hann-Choong Tan Fook went down tamely to their younger opponents at 13-21, 14-21.

For Chong Ming, the win puts him in the record book as the second Malaysian after Razif Sidek to defend the doubles title in the Games with different partners. Chong Ming had won the doubles gold in Manchester 2002 with Chew Choon Eng.

Choong Hann, however, can walk tall despite his defeats. He is the only badminton player to have won three medals in Melbourne.

Besides the two silver medals, he also played in the mixed doubles for the team that won the gold medal last week.