Newton's Law...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ALI, Aug 21, 2000.

1. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    <html>Hi! I'd read a book on badminton (Basic Skills Of Badminton, to be exact)and in the footwork section, it states that according to Newton's 1st and 3rd Law, "in order to jump up, you must firt bend your knees and lower your body. To move forward, you have to bring your legs back quickly to destroy your balance and let your body fall forward. By destroying the balance, you make use of gravity and the momentum of falling forward to propel you forward."<p>What I don't understand is, what does it mean by bringing my legs back quickly? Does it mean that I should lower my upper body and put it in front (somewhat like bowing), or should I jump and put my legs back(this way, I am really falling forwards, but quite unstable)? The second one also looks very akward.<p>So, what do you think by Han Jian's(the author's) writing? I hope you can help me with this, as I have to improve my footwork. Thanks.<p>P/S : Please share any knowledge and experiences on how to improve(either mentally or physically) my footwork that is, although having the correct steps, but rather not agile, heavy, slow and unrelaxed. Thanks again. <p><br>
    </html>

2. paul

paul Regular Member

manager of sporting goods company
    <html>: Hi! I'd read a book on badminton (Basic Skills Of Badminton, to be exact)and in the footwork section, it states that according to Newton's 1st and 3rd Law, "in order to jump up, you must firt bend your knees and lower your body. To move forward, you have to bring your legs back quickly to destroy your balance and let your body fall forward. By destroying the balance, you make use of gravity and the momentum of falling forward to propel you forward."<p>: What I don't understand is, what does it mean by bringing my legs back quickly? Does it mean that I should lower my upper body and put it in front (somewhat like bowing), or should I jump and put my legs back(this way, I am really falling forwards, but quite unstable)? The second one also looks very akward.<p>: So, what do you think by Han Jian's(the author's) writing? I hope you can help me with this, as I have to improve my footwork. Thanks.<p>: P/S : Please share any knowledge and experiences on how to improve(either mentally or physically) my footwork that is, although having the correct steps, but rather not agile, heavy, slow and unrelaxed. Thanks again. <p><br>It's is very difficult to explain movement in writing. I think in terms of badminton movement it is sort of crab like. I mean the legs should be kept bent at all times. The angle really depends on your body type. When jumping you would bend your legs again in mid air and land with legs bent ready to spring again. <br>With reference to your point about bending over. I think the body should be kept fairly upright with a sligth forward bend to compensate for the bend of the legs. Obviously when reaching for the shot the torso can bend even to 90 degress but the legs must spread wide to maintain balance.<br>One point I'd like to share about footwork. For example when standing in the central base and the opponent hits a clear into your forehand or backhand corner your inintial movement can actually be quite small (i.e. just moving your racket leg in the direction of movement) and then with one jump reach the corner. My point is that if the initial movement is too big it will slow you down. Even from the net the movement doesn't have be too big if you jump is strong.<br>I guess footwork is different according to body type, level of play, and the sort of tactics you wish to employ. When you look at people like Yang Yang play you can really appriciate how amazing the movement is. He often took just one jump (without any adjustment) to reach the forhand corner for a smash - even from a good lift. <p>
    </html>

3. Joseph

Joseph Guest

Re: Newton's Law and footwork

<html>Hi Ali:<p> Just a tip that might help your footwork. I don't think you should confuse yourself by trying things like "destroying your balance" or incorporating physical principles. One of the best ways to move quickly is early racquet preparation. As the bird is hit by your opponent, swing your racquet forward or backward (and upwards if a clear has been hit) depending on where the bird is headed and you will feel your torso being dragged in whatever direction you swung your racquet. Your legs will follow next naturally, as long as your preparation was good. Then, just step to wherever you're going as you know how to... Hope that helps...
    </html>