News : Sutiyoso revamps PBSI board

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by jkusmanto, Aug 1, 2004.

1. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Sutiyoso revamps PBSI board
    Sports News - July 31, 2004

Moch. N. Kurniawan, Jakarta

Newly elected chairman Sutiyoso revamped the new board of the Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI), trimming the number of officials by more than half to 26 from the previous 55.

The number of portfolios in the organization has also been trimmed from the previous 13 to only five in a move "to seek efficiency and effectiveness in the running of the organization."

"I want my executive board to be slim, effective and efficient," Sutiyoso said after the announcement of the board lineup at City Hall here on Friday,

The new board also reflects Sutiyoso's policy of accommodating more of the country's former champions during his term, which runs until 2008.

While the appointment of MF Siregar as the secretary-general is hailed by many as a good choice, his appointment of Ferrial Sofyan as his deputy could raise eyebrows as the retired Army officer has never been known to be closely involved in badminton.

Sutiyoso, who is the Jakarta governor, defended his choice, saying that Ferrial could be relied on and would be able to deputize for him.

"As Jakarta governor and the leader of several other associations, I have only limited time to spare on the PBSI. And Ferrial will be able to make up for my shortcomings," Sutiyoso said.

"But I will cut down on my leisure time and give as much time to the PBSI as possible," he said.

Tan Joe Hok, who became the first Indonesian to win the All England in 1959, has been appointed to the board as research and development director.

Eight-time All England champion Rudy Hartono has been given charge of the organizational and regional development division while 1983 world champion Icuk Sugiarto is tasked with supervising national training.

G. Sulistiyanto remains in his foreign relations post, and has been given the additional task of supervising tournaments and refereeing.

The funding and sports business division is led by Tri Hatma.

Serian Wijatno has been maintained in his post as the organization's treasurer.

Sutiyoso, who replaced the forced-out Chairul Tanjung a couple of weeks ago, pleaded with his aides to be serious about their work.

He said that he would give them blank resignation letters as a signal to them that they might as well quit their jobs immediately if they were unable to work hard.

"These letters are warnings to them to take their work seriously, particularly during the first six months. Otherwise, they will be forced to resign and we will seek new more capable people to fill their shoes," he said.

Meanwhile, discussing his future plans, Icuk, who is the chairman of the PBSI's Jakarta Chapter, gave details of those who would take charge of the training center.

Indra Gunawan would coach the men's shuttlers. The women's shuttlers would be trained by Hendrawan, women's doubles by Atik Djauhari, men's doubles by Christian Hadinata and mixed doubles by Richard Mainaky.