News : Susi Susanti Gets Hall Of Fame Award From Ibf

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by kwun, May 15, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    SUSI SUSANTI GETS HALL OF FAME AWARD FROM IBF

Antara
    Saturday, May 15, 2004 11:13:15 PM

Jakarta, May 15 (ANTARA) - Indonesian former badminton champion Susi Susanti was awarded a "Hall of Fame" award by the International Badminton Federation (IBF) here on Saturday.

"I was happy to accept the award and thanked all the Indonesian people who have made it possible for me to receive it," she said in a short speech made after the handing of the award by IBF chief Korn Thapparansi. Susi Susanti (33) and her husband Alan Budikusuma were the first Indonesian badminton players to win gold medals from respectively women`s and men`s single events in the Olympic Games in Barcelona in 1992.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i wonder what took INA so long to recognize their national hero :rolleyes:

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    IBF is not Indonesia.

if it were to be up to Indonesia, it would've been awarded in 1992. ;)

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

oops, my speed reading isnt up to snuff. (I shouldn't be cooking supper and reading BF at the same time :eek: )

#4 cooler, May 15, 2004
    Last edited: May 15, 2004
  5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

I read in Chinese press that it was only last year when Megawati

took over that the rule that all INa Chinese were no longer required to

carry special passes to identify themselves.Also Hendrawan only became

a citizen after 2002 Thomas Cup .

Previously all INa of Chinese oriigin were traeted like foreigners by

immigration,everytime the ina team travelled the Chinese in the team were continuously harassed by their immigration.

And that is the truth, of course you cant expect the victims to say this, as they will be condemned.

6. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    Susi Susanti truly deserves it. She was one of the badminton legends :)
    Shame I was'nt that good in badminton nor rich nor live in Indonesia otherwise I would have proposed to her... :D I love Susi :)

7. mourits

mourits Regular Member

I do not think that was true....

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I don't want to start a political debate here but only to reply to the above statement with media articles. If you disagree, please direct your view to the journalists or the authors.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.infid.be/chinesecorruption.html

The Straits Times May 22, 2002
    Racial bias? It's graft in Indonesia

Chinese Indonesians are discriminated but the real problem is corruption, and they contribute to it by being too quick to pull out their wallets
    By Robert Go STRAITS TIMES INDONESIA BUREAU
    JAKARTA - Surabaya businessman Lukman Hartono knows he is a marked man in the eyes of predatory immigration officials in Indonesia.
    As an ethnic Chinese, it is: Pay up and get paperwork 'expedited'. Refuse to pay, and face probing questions and hassle.
    'I travel frequently to other Asian countries for business. I often get this treatment when I come home. They see me, and they take me to a side room,' he said.
    'I know what they want, and they know I know. I just smile and take out my wallet. They stamp my passport and let me go.'
    Indonesia's ethnic Chinese complain of discrimination in their own country even four years after the fall of former president Suharto and the beginning of the reform era.
    For example, processing citizenship papers - such as in the case of badminton star Hendrawan, who saved his country's Thomas Cup bid last weekend - or other basic documents could prove to be an arduous process which takes years to complete.
    Government universities, it is said, reject ethnic Chinese students, who can be spotted easily by information on applications: Their names, special characters on their identification cards, their religious affiliations, and so on.
    But some prominent figures within the minority group also say that while racism exists and presents hurdles for the ethnic-Chinese community here, the true problem is Indonesia's rampant corruption.
    And the ethnic Chinese, these observers argued, make themselves easy targets. They contribute to the problem by reaching for their wallets too quickly when facing potential trouble.
    Mr Enggartiasto Lukito, a politician from the Golkar party who is also one of the few ethnic-Chinese members of Parliament, told The Straits Times that corruption, not racism, sits at the root of many situations that can be construed as discriminatory.
    Indonesia's government has taken some key strides in recent years to improve the situation for the ethnic Chinese.
    In 1999, former president B. J. Habibie banned discrimination based on a citizen's place of origin.
    President Megawati Sukarnoputri has also declared next year's Chinese New Year as a national holiday.
    Mr Enggartiasto said: 'We see discrimination, but it is not as pervasive as it used to be. Things have improved. But corruption does target us on a daily basis, and we contribute to that.
    'We pay up too easily. Often, it is we who seek special treatment in exchange for bribes. That's a big problem.'
    Mr Frans Winarta, a prominent Jakarta lawyer who is also an ethnic Chinese, said previously that Indonesia has to revise many discriminatory provisions in the constitution and the country's legal codes.
    But other observers make the case that those discriminatory laws remain in the books precisely because they help bureaucrats - at all levels of government - fill their own pockets as they process the basic documents the ethnic Chinese need.
    A mid-level officer in Surabaya's court system yesterday said: 'Civil servants ask everyone, not just the Chinese, for bribes. It's true, however, that the Chinese can be made to pay more.'
    The Jakarta Post May 21, 2002
    Chinese-Indonesians still discriminated against
    Muninggar Sri Saraswati, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta
    It was a sad irony that top shuttler Hendrawan who saved the country in the Thomas Cup championship had to struggle to get his citizenship certificate before heading to China for the tournament a mere two weeks ago.
    Hendrawan, the 2001 World Champion and the 2000 Olympics silver medalist, had complained publicly about the difficulties of getting his Republic of Indonesia Citizenship Certificate (SBKRI).
    Hendrawan filed the SBKRI request last year, but it was not until President Megawati Soekarnoputri, who learned about the problem from the media, stepped in and helped him, that he got the certificate.
    Hendrawan was born in Malang, East Java, 30 years ago, while his parents were both born in Pasuruan, also in East Java.
    But why was it so hard for Hendrawan to be recognized as an Indonesian citizen despite his birth and his considerable achievements for the nation?
    Because Hendrawan is a Chinese-Indonesian.
    As a Chinese-Indonesian, he is required by law to apply for the SKBRI to be officially recognized as an Indonesian citizen.
    If a star such as Hendrawan had such difficulties getting the certificate, just imagine what happens with "ordinary" Chinese-Indonesians.
    Ernawati Sugondo, secretary to the Advisory Council of the Society of Chinese-Indonesians, said there were no less than 12 bureaucratic institutions involved in the process of issuing an SKBRI before the certificate can be signed by the president.
    The institutions are the neighborhood unit, the subdistrict office, the district office, the mayoralty office, the gubernatorial office, the police subprecint, the police precinct, the city police headquarters, the prosecutors' office, the district court, and finally the Ministry of Justice and Human Rights.
    "It takes tens of millions of rupiah all along the way to finally get the certificate," Ernawati told The Jakarta Post.
    She said that the applicants have to provide the money in order to "accelerate" the process.
    "Even if they have handed over millions of rupiah, the process may take years. Without the money, it would probably never happen at all," she said.
    Hendrawan's brother reportedly applied for the citizenship certificate 20 years ago, and to this day, he still does not have one.
    An SBKRI is needed to process many other documents, including passports, business licenses, credit applications and even university enrollment.
    In the case of Hendrawan, he had previously obtained a passport only after he attached a copy of his father's SBKRI.
    One ordinary Chinese-Indonesian, Ling Ling, 19, told the Post that two years ago she applied to a private university here. She had passed the entrance test, but the university rejected her just because neither she nor her father, had the SBKRI certificate.
    "That's the most terrible thing I've ever experienced. I was born and grew up here, I only speak Indonesian, I've never stepped foot in China. Why would people doubt my loyalty to this country?" asked Ling Ling in an emotional voice.
    Ling Ling, who had wanted to major in economics, now studies political science in another private university which did not require the SBKRI.
    In 1996, former president Soeharto issued Decree No. 56/1996 stating that the special requirement of an SBKRI was no longer necessary.
    The decree was strengthened by his successor B.J. Habibie who issued Decree No. 26/1988 ordering government bureaucrats to give the same service to everyone.
    Later in 1999, he also issued Decree No. 4/1999 ordering all government officials to follow up on his earlier instruction barring government agencies and officials from discriminating against Indonesians based on their ethnic background.
    To date, however, the decree has not been implemented in the various government offices. They are reluctant to implement the decree due to what they claimed was a lack of technical instructions on how to impose it.
    Lawyer Esther Indahyani Jusuf alleged that government officials intentionally maintain the discriminative regulation in a bid to get bribes.
    "SBKRI is a gold mine for many civil servants," she said.
    She said that the Chinese-Indonesians have no other choice but struggle to get the SBKRI, otherwise, they would face difficulties the rest of their lives here.
    Recent history of Chinese-Indonesians
    1955: Indonesia and China signed an agreement on dual citizenships, which allowed Chinese people who lived in the country to hold both Indonesian and Chinese citizenship.
    1958: Indonesia approved the citizenship law, which stipulates naturalization.
    1959: Indonesia and China agreed to a repatriation process for 140,000 Chinese descendants.
    1965: The Indonesian Communist Party attempted a coup d'etat. Jakarta accused China, which was denied.
    1967: Diplomatic ties with China were frozen. This abruptly halted the repatriation. About 100,000 people were stranded here and considered stateless.
    1969: Indonesia decided not to impose the dual citizenship agreement. A Chinese person whose parents held China citizenship could only hold Indonesia citizenship by naturalization, which was proved by the issuance of SBKRI.
    1990: Indonesia resumed ties with China.
    1992: Beijing said that they would issue passports in January 1993 for the more than 240,000 stateless Chinese here.
    1996: Soeharto issued a decree on the annulment of the SBKRI requirement. The Chinese-Indonesians could instead use their ID cards, birth certificate and family card (kartu keluarga) for education and business purposes.
    1998: Habibie issued a decree ordering government officials to treat all Indonesians the same.
    1999: Habibie issued a decree banning the discrimination against Indonesians based on their origins.

More from:
    http://www3.telus.net/arts/wunbu/ht_stateless.html
    http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/display.article?id=3706

9. flikflak

flikflak Regular Member

too pity.

yes, true that SBKRI policy had been erased, but the fact is that there are many departments or instances which still persistently ask Chinese people to show their nationality proof, it is, SBKRI....

why? of course all related to corruption things, u have to bribe he/she so she will allow u to go overseas or bribe for making passport and SBKRI itself which will take sooooo much time to complete!

Even the Indonesian badminton heroes cannot obtain SBKRI THAT EASY then what about u, Chinese commoner? Ironic.....

Anyway Susi Susanti really deserves this greatest award from IBF, proud of her. bravo. ;) Not many players can enter the Hall especially woman.

Her peak achievements together with Alan at Barcelona Olympic 1992 influenced most children and people to play badminton that time. People often watched their performances enthusiastically on TV. Until now, Susi is the most famous badminton player, surpasses Rudy Hartono, she's still popular even for teenagers.

Years after declaring her retirement, she and Alan have three healthy children and work as Sport Equipment Distributor, I heard it called ASTEC, stands for Alan Susi Technology.

She still receives many awards! from Olympic Committee IOC, Herbert Scheele Trophy from IBF, Hall of Fame, and becomes Olympic 2004 Torch Runner together with Allan.

10. SDK-MSN

SDK-MSN Regular Member

awww...:eek: good ol' susi susanti
    now the indonesian women's team is nothing..no susi, no mia, etc etc..:(