NEWS : Siblings Roslin and Hafiz aim to shine after several dismal outings

Discussion in 'Hong Kong / Chinese Taipei / China Open 2003' started by kwun, Oct 25, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    The Star Online > Sports

Saturday October 25, 2003

Siblings Roslin and Hafiz aim to shine after several dismal outings

By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: The Hashims – Roslin and Hafiz - will be out to make it a brothers' act in next week's Hong Kong Open after enjoying contrasting fortunes in international scene this year.

The brothers stole the thunder at the All-England in February but since then, Hafiz has crashed out early in every Open tournament while Roslin has achieved one or two good results.

At the All-England, Roslin reached the semi-finals while Hafiz went on to win the title after beating Chen Hong of China in the final.

Roslin, who reached the World Championships quarter-finals and entered the Danish Open semi-finals, hopes that they could bring back the glory days of the Hashims in the US$250,000 Hong Kong tournament.

Malaysia are only represented by four singles players.

Besides Roslin and Hafiz, Naza Kia-sponsored Sairul Amar Ayob and Pei Wei Chung of Tiara Club will be involved.

Said Roslin: “It will be great if both of us can go far in the tournament. We did well together at the All-England and hopefully both of us can achieve better results together again.”

Roslin, ranked No. 12 in the world, is also determined to do well in the Hong Kong Open to collect qualifying points for the 2004 Athens Olympic Games.

“This is the last Open tournament for me. I am not competing in the Taiwan and China Opens.

“It is important for me to do well and get as many points as possible. Currently, I am on the right track to qualify for the Olympics,” he said.

The first two rounds will be easy for Roslin at the Hong Kong Open.

But he is expected to play second seed Lee Hyun-il of South Korea for a place in the last eight.

“I have beaten Hyun-il in the last eight of the world meet. Hopefully, I can beat him again,” added Roslin, who is expected to play Indonesian Taufik Hidayat if he clears Hyun-il.

His younger brother Hafiz however, will have a tougher time.

He is drawn in the same half with Danish Open champion Lin Dan of China and Asian Badminton Championships (ABC) champion Sony Dwi Kuncoro of Indonesia.