NEWS : Roslin beats his brother to march into third round

Discussion in 'World Championships 2003' started by kwun, Jul 30, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    UTUSAN Online

Roslin beats his brother to march into third round

BIRMINGHAM (England) July 30 - Muhammad Roslin Hashim beat his brother, the All England champion Muhammad Hafiz Hashim in a straight set in the second round of the 13th World Badminton Championships at the National Indoor Arena here on Wednesday.

Roslin, ranked 31st, took 42 minutes to edge Hafiz 15-11, 15-8.

Both the Kelantanese were the victims of the International Badminton Federation (IBF) bad draw, which forced the brothers to meet in the second round after beating their respective opponents in the first round on Tuesday.

In the third round Thursday, Roslin will face Korea's top singles, Lee Hyun-Il, the eighth seed.

"I feel sad at winning. Hafiz is in top form, everyone knows that.

"Maybe Hafiz is giving me the chance especially in the second set where I collected one point after another," he told reporters.

But Hafiz denied that he hand handed victory to his elder brother.

"There is nothing of that sort. It is just that Roslin played well today. I'm sad because I lost to my own brother in a seven-star competition," he said.

Malaysia's badminton queen in the making, Wong Mew Choo meanwhile failed in her mission to march into the third round when Chinese Gong Ruina outclassed her 11-6, 11-3 in 21 minutes.

The country's top women singles earlier led the fourth seeded Gong Ruina 6-0 before the Chinese change her playing style to leave Mew Choo 11-6 in the opener.

In the second set, Mew Choo failed to play her normal game and only had 3 points before Gong Ruina ended the set.

The following are the third-day results involving Malaysian players at the 13th World Badminton Championships at the National Indoor Stadium here on Wednesday.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Muhammad Roslin Hashim (R) hugs his brother Muhammad Hafiz (L) after defeating him during their match at the International Badminton Federation, World Championships held at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, England, July 30. - APpix.

Attached Files:

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I think if Hafiz had beaten his over the hill brother and ended his career as such

he would have to live with the guilt and be heavily critcised by people in their

very conservative community.

4. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Hafiz did seem to play conservatively and reservedly. I was expecting a 3 setter at least. I guess this may be Roslin's last chance...

5. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Anything to do with Hafiz giving way to his brother for his last shot on the world title? I remember seeing this happening in the AE Finals once when an unheralded player in an all-Chinese affair winning it. I don't remember who it was, but he looked a little like Zhao Jianhua, minus the aggression and speed. It happened in the 90s, I remember.

But this one, I remember reading somewhere that it had something to do with giving the young guy some points so that he could play in the WC that year.

p/s - Was is Dong Jiong vs Sun Jun?

6. andy

andy Regular Member

Student
    Hafiz vs roslin

irrespective of the result it was a bitter sweet ending to the Hashim battle.

its unfortunate that two good players had to play each other so early on the WC, but its great for msia that they progress into the next round.

from wht i'm reading from other postings, i hope there isn't any foul play in terms of one brother letting another win and not playing to the highest level. Only the best of players some with the greatest of luck will emerge WC holder. I hope roslin will fly the Msian flag high and continue his run. If he doesn't win, i hope he beats one more high seeded player.

on another unfortunte note, its sad to c how the korean squad came down with injuries.