NEWS : IBF plans to make badminton attractive

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Me think this thread is going to get merged pretty soon... :p

2. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

Yeah it's kind of an extension of the 'IBF plans to make badminton more attractive' thread alright. Although sometimes when a thread has couple hundred posts in it eventually it gets stale and a fresh start is a nice point to start a discussion from :) .

3. lohtw

lohtw Regular Member

I guess there is nothing much wrong with the game currently. Probably a bit subjective on my part but I feel the current point system works fine. That is how the game is. What it lacks is "Marketing". I saw a photo of one of our forummers in which he was playing a game in a shopping mall. That I feel is cool and a good marketing tool to bring badminton to the public. (Of course the players must be of a good standard).

Just my 2 cents worth

4. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Sudiman Cup is not an interesting event, because of the nature of the competition there is only 1 winner at the moment. Fans will generally go to watch an event for mens singles and mens doubles and will only watch for the womens / mixed events if they have a particular favourite playing. Since there is only 1 mens singles and doubles in Sudirman Cup match the potential for good games is limited. Gone are the days when Korea or Indonesia won major womens singles titles.

Also the name "sudirman" is unhelpful, few English club players would even know what it was. Conversely it is the one team cup event where England have a good chance against most countries.

5. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    We need Sudirman tournament

Even though Sudirman Cup is not as glamorous as Thomas Cup but I do think it's important as we get to see more players in all five events in action in all different groups. Now I know better about players from Hong Kong, Singapore, Netherland, Japan, UK, Germany even youngsters from Indonesia, Korea. The only problem is China is just too strong.

6. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Yes, I think Sudirman Cup must be maintained.
    I also think more teams must compete for the title : 12 teams per group would be much better (4 pools of three, then semi-finals and ranking matches).
    This way we would have a first group with Malaysia, Japan, Netherlands, Singapore ... much more interesting! :)
    Also with four pools and only the pool winner in semi-finals, none of the pool matches would be "thrown up"...

7. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Completely Agree.

8. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

I suspect all this rule changing stuff to reduce the duration of a match by the IBF is simply coz only a few tv channels are coming forward to telecast the Sudirman/Thomas/ Uber cup.Dont they understand that while the rule changes to cut the duration of the match might help only these three tournaments,all Opens[All England,China,Indonesia,Singaporetc ]will suffer.

9. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

NeWs.

This may not be directly related to the thread but i did n't wanna start a new one for this and this is about rule changes,so i am posting the news here.

Well it seems that law 16.5.1 has been removed by the IBF and this will be applicable from 1st august.What it means and what implications it has is something that is really confusing me.I checked the rules and i am not sure what to make of it.
    So can someone verify on this and let us know.

10. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

May be IBF's simply saying that coaching the sideline will be allowed?

BTW, just curious, where'd you hear this from? I can't find the announcement on the IBF website, though that doesn't surprise me as they are notoriously behind most of the time.

11. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

What do u mean by coaching the side line??i dont quite understand.explain in detail.
    And as for the source,it is this-
    www.badmintonindia.org
    it does not have any news on this as such,but u can see it on the moving news update on the top of the home page.

12. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Sorry, that should've read: coaching *from* the sideline. Just as it says on the website you provided. I believe right now coaches can't shout, signal or otherwise give instructions to their players except during intermissions (i.e., between set breaks).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.