NEWS : I beat Hafiz fair and square: Roslin

Discussion in 'World Championships 2003' started by kwun, Jul 30, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    NSTP e-media

I beat Hafiz fair and square: Roslin

Graig Nunis

TO be a true champion, one must overcome all the obstacles in the way.

Hafiz Hashim, unfortunately, still has a lot to learn in this aspect.

In an emotional battle with his elder brother Roslin, Hafiz – the reigning All-England champion – clearly did not play to his true potential as he lost 15-11, 15-8.

But that is not to say that Roslin didn't deserve to win. In fact, the one-time World No 1 showed glimpses of his old form and was able to read his brother's move.

He, however, was forced to admit: "There was no fix-up or agreement before or during the match.

"I know I gave 100 per cent but I felt that Hafiz just did not play his usual game.

"I'm not accusing him of throwing the match but maybe, the pressure and tension got to him.

"I'm sad that one of us had to go out so early in the tournament. Hafiz had the potential to win the title. Now, it is left to me to carry the family name." Roslin's victory yesterday assured him of a third round match-up against South Korea's Lee Hyun-il. It is also Roslin's best ever achievement in the event.

"I believe I have regained my old form," said Roslin, who lost out in the second round two years ago.

"I am slowly but surely getting used to the old 15-point system which I favour. I stand a good chance against Hyun-il and will try my best to reach the quarter-finals.

"It was certainly an emotional match but one I hope Hafiz will learn from." Hafiz, meanwhile, denied throwing the game and said Roslin knows his game too well.

"My brother knows how to play me. That is why he won," said the 20-year-old.

"He may feel that I did not give my best but that is only because he outplayed me. It was his brilliance which made me look bad.

"I have nothing to be ashamed of, except, maybe not winning a game and taking the match into a decider." Whatever it is, there is no denying the pressure will now be on Roslin to ensure his brother's sacrifice was worth it.