News Articles on Beijing Olympics 2008

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by george@chongwei, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..talk about getting one's money's worth, that's indeed a long program (from basically 5:30 pm til 12 am)...:cool:

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

http://www.bharian.com.my/Current_News/BH/Wednesday/Sukan/20080806070052/Article
    Just rumors lah, the reporters so free while waiting for the action to start. The only thing Datuk Nazdmi had said earlier is he might not remain be BAM President after OG, but nothing is decided.

But if Rashid becomes chief coach, there'll be tighter countrol in MS, some heads will roll, some friciton will happen, Rashid is not Mr Nice Guy. Though he's not as bad tempered as Cheah SK.
    From updates from you all, I doubt Rexy would want to be chief, more drama X10.;)

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    aiya...anyone that willing and can help mas do better in badminton can have it...^^...

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Please take the discussions on BAM and its fortunes elsewhere.
    This thread is about news on the Beijing Olympics :)

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

History against Lin Dan winning the gold medal
    [​IMG]
    WORLD number one Lin Dan (pic) will have to defy history if he is to follow in the footsteps of his former compatriot Ji Xinpeng in securing the Olympic men’s singles gold medal.
    None of the top seeded players in the event has gone on to clinch the title in previous Games.
    Zhao Jianhua was the top seed when badminton made its Olympic debut in Barcelona in 1992 and he was beaten by Indonesia's Hermawan Susanto in the quarter-finals. Another Indonesian, Allan Budi Kusuma, went on to bag the gold medal.
    Four years later in Atlanta, Indonesian Joko Suprianto was given the top billing and he was beaten by Malaysia's Rashid Sidek in the quarter-finals.
    Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia had a crack at Olympic glory as the top seed in Sydney 2000 but he went down to Xinpeng in the quarter-finals.
    At the last Games in Athen, Taufik was unseeded but he went on to win the title. The top seed was Lin Dan but he was beaten by Singapore's Ronald Susilo in the second round.
    Whether history will repeat itself is anybody's guess but Malaysian singles coach Misbun Sidek believed Lin Dan is good enough to go all the way to the title.
    “He has been consistent throughout the year. He is always there among the top four finishers each time he competes although he skipped the Singapore and Indonesia Opens to prepare for Olympics,” he said.
    “Lin Dan also knows that this is his best chance to bag the Olympic title. There are plenty of good players in China and he may not get the chance if he misses this time.
    “The pressure is great but I think he has the experience to cope with it. The first round will be crucial and if he goes through well, his confidence will grow.”
    Lin Dan, the winner of the Thailand and Swiss Open titles this year, has a first-round bye and will play against Hong Kong's Ng Wei for a place in the last 16.
    But it gets tougher after that as he will probably go up against South Korean Park Sung-hwan. The Korean is one of the few players who have beaten Lin Dan before and the Chinese will be wise not to under-estimate his opponent.
    Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei, seeded second in Beijing, is another player who has the potential to crush Lin Dan's hopes. But before the match can materialise, Lin Dan will have to come through from a half that has Taufik and his compatriot Chen Jin.

6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The flagbearer of USA and GBR for Beijing Games

Lomong chosen as US flagbearer for Beijing Games

By EDDIE PELLS, AP National Writer
    14 hours, 59 minutes ago

DALIAN, China (AP)—Eight years ago, Lopez Lomong didn’t even have a country. Now he’ll be carrying the flag for his adopted nation, leading the U.S Olympic team at opening ceremonies Friday night.
    Lomong, one of the Lost Boys of Sudan, won a vote of team captains Wednesday to earn the honor of leading America’s contingent into the 90,000-seat Bird’s Nest Stadium.
    The 1,500-meter track runner will be the flagbearer only 13 months after becoming a U.S. citizen.
    “It’s more than a dream,” Lomong said in an interview with The Associated Press moments after he got the news. “I keep saying, I’m not sure if this is true or not true. I’m making the team and now I’m the first guy coming to the stadium and the whole world will be watching me carry the flag. There are no words to describe it.”
    He was born in Sudan, separated from his parents at the point of a gun at age 6, and with the help of friends, he escaped confinement and made it to a refugee camp in Kenya. In 2001, he was brought to America as part of a program to relocate lost children from war-torn Sudan.
    Earlier this week, the 23-year-old Lomong said he was mounting a campaign to be nominated by the track and field team for the flagbearer’s position. He said the honor would be memorable, but he also was thrilled to be part of the democratic process that might get him there.
    “In America, everyone has a chance to do all these things,” Lomong said. “You follow the rules, people will choose, and if I’m blessed to get that opportunity, I’ll get it.”
    In 2004, Dawn Staley did the flagbearer’s honors. In 2000, they went to kayaker Cliff Meidl, who survived a 30,000-volt jolt of electricity in a construction accident and became an Olympian.
    Lomong’s story is every bit as inspiring.
    He knew nothing of the Olympics in 2000, when his friends at the refugee camp in Kenya talked him into running five miles and paying five shillings to watch Michael Johnson on a black-and-white TV set with a fuzzy screen.
    At that point, Lomong knew he wanted to be an Olympic runner. He earned his spot at Olympic trials on July 6, exactly one year after he gained his U.S. citizenship.
    All three Americans in the 1,500 are naturalized citizens—Lomong, Bernard Lagat (Kenya) and Leo Manzano (Mexico)..
    “I feel great,” Lomong said Wednesday night. “I feel happy, honored. I’m feeling so blessed to get an opportunity to present the United States of America, to present the United States flag in front of my team."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark Foster to carry the flag

1 hours, 20 minutes ago
    BEIJING (AFP) - Veteran swimmer Mark Foster will carry the flag at Friday's opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics, the British Olympic Association (BOA) announced Thursday.
    Foster, 38, is competing in his fifth Games having made his Olympic debut at Seoul in 1988.
    But two years ago he announced his retirement from elite competition after finishing fourth in the 50 metres freestyle at the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne as injuries started to take their toll.
    However, he changed his mind and he won the British 50m freestyle trials earlier this year to book his place in Beijing.
    "I was blown away when I was told, it was a big surprise and a huge honour. It's fantastic," Foster, the the first swimmer to carry British flag at an Olympic opening ceremony since Anita Lonsborough in 1964 at Tokyo, told the BOA's official website.
    "Some of the most wonderful names in British sport have been Olympic flag-bearers," added Foster, who succeeds judoka Kate Howey and multiple rowing gold medallists Matthew Pinsent and Steve Redgrave.
    "I really wanted to be picked but I didn't totally believe I would be," he admitted. "My heart was pumping when the announcement was made.
    "Making the Olympic Games this time around was fantastic in itself, but this has really topped it off. It's phenomenal."
    Foster, a four-times world short course champion at 50m, when races are swum in a 25 metre pool, has a best Olympic placing of sixth in the 1992 Games in Barcelona.

7. george@chongwei

Misbun happy to see shuttlers in relaxed mood ahead of battle

MALAYSIAN shuttlers are as recognisable as China’s own players. And they are always hounded by autograph hunters and fans at tournaments in China.
    But the good news is that it’s the Olympics and the no-go zones set up makes them out of reach, even to the media, at times.
    And it’s certainly working to the advantage of the players as they go through the training sessions leading to the start of the competition at the Beijing University of Technology Gymnasium.
    The first round gets under way from tomorrow but Malaysian interest only begins the next day with the women’s doubles pair of Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty up against South Koreans Lee Hyo-jung-Lee Kyung-won for a place in the quarter-finals.
    After three days of training, the players have found no problem with the competition venue.
    [​IMG] Net play: Malaysian women’s singles shuttler Wong Mew Choo sparring with national men’s No. 1 Lee Chong Wei during a trainning session at the National Badminton Centre in Beijing on Thursday.
    National singles coach Misbun Sidek who is in charge of medal hopefuls Lee Chong Wei and Wong Mew Choo, said that both of them are comfortable with the conditions.
    “We have trained for one hour for the last three days since we got here and it’s what we expected of an Olympic venue,” said Misbun.
    “The players are fine with the lighting but they can feel a bit of wind circulating around the court.
    But these are things we should not be worried about.
    “It’s normal and other players also face the same situation. An experienced player should know how to adjust to the situation.
    “At this stage, the physical and tactical preparations are already done with. It is just a matter of getting them to remain in a calm and relaxed mood.”
    And Misbun is pleased with the vibes he has been getting from his charges.
    “The feeling is different once you are here and you can sense the competition getting nearer. The important thing is for them to stay relaxed and not get distracted at this point,” he said.
    “There will be people who recognise them and want to be seen with them. I can see they are handling it well here off the court.”
    Two courts were allocated to the Malaysian team for the one-hour session.
    Chong Wei was seen sparring with men's doubles pair Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah on one court and he was replaced by Mew Choo later while Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong occupied the other court with Eei Hui-Pei Tty.

8. george@chongwei

Magical ride ahead

THE Olympics. It’s the world’s biggest sporting event and there will be plenty of drama and magical moments recorded as the world’s best in their respective fields bid for glory for their nation and themselves.
    And Malaysia will be waiting for success stories to be written in Beijing.
    As I join the 14,000-strong accredited media from all over the globe in recording sport’s greatest drama unfolding after tonight’s opening ceremony, I would think that we are good for more than just one medal this time.
    The hope is not just to see the first Malaysian Olympic champion but also the first medal won for the country outside badminton.
    [​IMG] Net play: Malaysian women’s singles shuttler Wong Mew Choo sparring with national men’s No. 1 Lee Chong Wei during a trainning session at the National Badminton Centre in Beijing on Thursday.
    Young track cyclist Azizul Hasni Awang has shown plenty of promise since he got himself noticed with a three-gold medal achievement in the junior ranks of the Asian Championships.
    Azizul hails from the laid back town of Dungun and he is always a humble person, never failing to say thanks in our communication each time.
    But there is nothing laid back about his approach when he lines up on the starting line, as proven when he beat the Japanese and Australian riders in their own backyard in competitions leading to the Olympics.
    The 20-year-old will lead the nation out in the opening ceremony of the Games tonight and this honour will inspire him to ride like a champion in the velodrome.
    And never discount Josiah, who was the toast of the nation in Athens four years ago when he overcame adversity to finish among the world’s best in the keirin event.
    Josiah has improved but so has the competition. But what he has going for him is strong mental composure, something many of our Malaysian athletes always lack and the realisation that this should be his final shot at Olympic glory.
    But our unassuming men’s archery team could beat the track cyclists to become the first non-badminton medal winners for the country.
    The trio of Cheng Chu Sian, Mohd Marbawi Sulaiman and Wan Khalmizam Wan Abdul Aziz get into the fray at the archery range tomorrow for the decisive ranking round.
    A good performance from the archers, who had a three-week-long stint in South Korea before arriving here, will go a long way to boosting self-confidence and better prospects at surviving the elimination rounds.
    But it really boils down to their state of mind and how they handle themselves on the day.
    And that goes for the badminton players, who have been tagged as the country’s best medal prospects since the sport made its debut in Barcelona in 1992.
    Then, the Sidek brothers – Razif and Jalani – bagged the first Olympic medal for the country – a bronze.
    In Atlanta four years later, the pair of Cheah Soon Kit-Yap Kim Hock brought in the silver and Rashid Sidek took the bronze. But the next two outings have seen the contingent coming home empty-handed.
    The players carrying the hopes for a first-ever top podium finish for Malaysia this time are Lee Chong Wei and the doubles pairs of Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah. And Wong Mew Choo is seen as a good bet for a medal too.
    Cracking the Great Wall of China may prove to be a daunting task, especially when they are the hosts this time. But our players have beaten the best in the world before in Open tournaments and they are certainly up to the task.
    Singles coach Misbun Sidek has poured out his heart and soul into moulding a worthy gold medal contender in Chong Wei.
    Who comes before him should not be the issue, as he has beaten all of them before. It is his mental ability and his hunger for glory that will determine whether he will get hold of the RM1mil reward promised by the government for a gold.
    Chef-de-mission Datuk Ho Koh Chye summed it up best when he said how an athlete handles the pressure is what makes the difference between a good and a mediocre athlete.
    This goes for our two men’s pairs – Kien Keat-Boon Heong and Wan Wah-Tan Fook.
    Doubles coach Rexy Mainaky has been impressed by their conviction towards their cause in Beijing and if they can overcome their respective tough first round hurdles convincingly, a shot at Olympic history beckons.
    But for the rest of the contingent, it will probably be all about soaking up the Olympic experience. Still, I would be glad to be proven wrong.
    It gave me great pride to see Boon Heong-Kien Keat storm to the Asian Games gold medal in Doha two years ago. And I hope I will get to record another magical moment for Malaysia in Beijing.

9. george@chongwei

World leaders gather for Olympics
    Leaders and dignitaries from around the world are gathering in Beijing for the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games.
    Some 11,000 athletes from 205 countries will compete in more than 300 events over the next two-and-a-half weeks.
    But the lead-up to the Games has been overshadowed by issues such as China's human rights record, internet access, and air pollution in Beijing.
    US President George W Bush expressed "deep concerns" over human rights before flying to Beijing.
    Mr Bush, who was in Thailand on the eve of the opening ceremony, voiced "firm opposition" to China's detention of dissidents - while stressing that he wanted the focus during the Games to be on sport.
    China rejected the US president's criticisms as "interference" in its internal affairs, and insisted it "put its people first".
    Meanwhile, 40 Olympian athletes wrote to President Hu Jintao expressing their concerns over Beijing's handling of anti-Chinese unrest in Tibet.
    Most expensive, most politicised
    The 2008 Olympics have been described as the most politicised Games since the boycott era of the early 1980s, says the BBC's sports news reporter Alex Capstick in Beijing.

But after a succession of controversial issues in the build-up to the Games, the focus is now shifting to the opening ceremony.
    Having taken seven years of planning, and a record-breaking $40bn in costs, nothing has been left to chance in China's bid to show the world what it can do, our correspondent adds.
    An estimated global audience of four billion people will watch the opening ceremony.
    It will be staged at Beijing's national stadium - known as the Bird's Nest because of its steel latticed construction - and some 10,000 performers will take part.
    Jacques Rogge, the head of the International Olympic Committee, who has repeatedly defended the decision to let China host the Olympics, said he hoped the Games would help the world to understand China, and China to understand the world.
    Mr Rogge also praised China's "extraordinary" efforts to cut pollution ahead of the Games, saying there was no danger to athletes' health.
    Press freedom
    A day before the Games, a BBC reading suggested Beijing's air quality was far below World Health Organization (WHO) standards.
    It put levels of particulate matter (PM10) at 191 micrograms per cubic metre. This exceeds the WHO target for developing countries of 150 micrograms/cubic metre.
    Mr Rogge said if the pollution was bad, events which lasted more than that could be shifted or postponed.
    There were celebrations on Thursday as the Olympic torch made its final stops on a journey that has seen it pass through six continents in six months.
    Patriotic crowds lining a mist-shrouded Great Wall cheered as the torch - which has been a magnet for protesters critical of China's rights record on its six-continent tour - passed by.
    Human-rights group have condemned curbs on journalists covering the Games.
    In a statement issued on Friday, the New York-based group Human Rights Watch said: "As the 2008 Olympic Games open in Beijing, foreign journalists in China face a host of severe restrictions, ranging from harassment to a censored internet."

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/asia-pacific/7548539.stm

10. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Female badminton player, Daniel to bear Nigeria’s flag at opening ceremony Olympic Games

Thursday, Aug 7, 2008

Grace Daniel, Nigeria’s sole badminton entry in the 29th Olympic Games will carry the country’s flag during Friday’s opening ceremony.
    A Team Nigeria official told the our correspondent in Beijing, that Daniel would lead her compatriots during the ceremony, to be watched by billions across the world.
    “She was chosen by team officials for her exemplary behaviour,’’ the official told our our correspondent in Beijing on condition of anonymity.
    He said the player, a beneficiary of the IOC Olympic Solidarity Scholarship, had shown through her character and disposition that she could be entrusted with bigger responsibilities.
    “This is the hallmark of good athletes, those who will grow to become great leaders of tomorrow,’’ he said of the 24-year-old female.
    Tidesports reports that Nigeria, which made its Olympic debut at the Helsinki Games in 1952, will take part in 10 sports at the Beijing Games and be fielding 87 athletes.
    The sports are track and field, badminton, boxing, weightlifting, wrestling, table tennis, football, swimming, judo and taekwondo.
    NAN gathered that about 7,000 of the 10,200 athletes attending the Games would be involved in the parade at the opening ceremony.
    --The Tide Online (Nigeria)--

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Indonesian shuttler urged to steal the show in Olympics

Primastuti Handayani , The Jakarta Post , Beijing | Fri, 08/08/2008 10:29 AM | Sports

Indonesian women's shuttler Maria Kristin hopes to get back onto the radar by qualifying at the women's singles badminton event at the 2008 Olympic Games. However, qualifying alone will not be enough for the shuttlers.
    "Four years ago we didn't have any women's singles players at the Athens Olympics. When I first took the job to become the coach, I already said that our female shuttler will qualify for the Olympics. Now that Maria has qualified, I told her not to be satisfied only by competing at the Games," coach Hendrawan said Thursday, on the sidelines of a training session.
    "I told Maria she should keep in mind to grab a medal in Beijing," said Hendrawan, who snatched a silver medal at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
    Indonesia won the women's singles gold medal in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, thanks to living legend Susy Susanti. In 1996, Mia Audina, who later switched her citizenship to the Netherlands, grabbed the silver. She went on to win a silver for her new country in 2004. Since then, the national women's shuttlers have yet to excel at international level.
    Team manager Lius Pongoh said Maria would stay out of the national squad during Friday's opening ceremony, as she would compete on Saturday. She will meet Julianne Schenk of Germany in the opening round.

Maria is upbeat about her prospects.
    "I beat her (Schenk) during the 2004 Uber Cup championship. I gained a lot more confidence after competing in June's Indonesia Open where I reached the final and managed to defeat Olympic defending champion Zhang Ning," she said.
    The absence of coach Marlev Mainaky, will not affect her performance. "I was trained by Hendrawan before Marlev took over. It's not a big deal."
    Head coach Christian Hadinata said the national shuttlers would be ready for the challenge.

However, Indonesia is basing its medal hopes on the doubles.
    The pairing of Nova Widiyanto and Lilyana Natsir, and of Markis Kido and Hendra Setiawan are tipped to liven up their status as top seeds in the mixed and men's doubles respectively.
    "Our preparations have been good and the athletes are in good shape. They have already tried the courts and they'll be ready for the big day."
    Among the country's 11 shuttlers is men's singles defending champion Taufik Hidayat, who just recovered from dengue fever. Although he is only the seventh seed here, the 26-year-old will be ready to have a shot at the gold, once again.
    "I'm in good condition. I'll be ready for the match," he said.
    Tough challenges, however, not only come from home star Lin Dan and Malaysia's hot favorite Lee Chong Wei, but from other players including compatriot Sony Dwi Kuncoro, who won this year's Indonesia Open.
    "I just need to maintain Sony's motivation to win the gold, as his competition will start only two days after the opening," Hendrawan said.
    Earlier in the day, the Malaysian team trained at the badminton venue -- the Beijing Technology University Gymnasium. The country's biggest hopes, Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong in the men's doubles, should be a threat to Markis and Hendra.
    "Based on our results we have never lost to number one seeds before. We just plan to play our own game," Koo said.
    Like Indonesia, Malaysia also sees badminton as the most likely sport where they have realistic hopes of going for gold.
    "We are the only sport where Malaysians can hope for a gold medal. But I don't feel any pressure," Koo said.
    The Malaysians will face Shintaro Ikeda and Shuichi Sakamoto of Japan in the first round.
    "We have lost twice and won only once," Tan said. "But we don't want to think much about it, it doesn't help."
    Coach Rexy Mainaky, who with Ricky Subagdja gave Indonesia Olympic gold in Athena 1996, praised his proteges, saying they were eager and fired up to win the first gold medal for Malaysia. "This pair is ready to deliver. It's all up to them now."
    Speaking on the pressures on the pair, Ricky said: "I was three times a player and twice a coach (at the Olympics). I try to share with them. For two weeks now we have been in a positive mood. If they make mistakes, we try to encourage them positively."

12. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Czech shooter wins games’ first gold

ByNOAH TRISTER, AP Sports Writer 14 minutes ago

BEIJING (AP)—Katerina Emmons spoiled China’s bid for the first gold medal of the Beijing Olympics on Saturday by winning the 10-meter air rifle for the Czech Republic.
    Emmons, the wife of American shooter Matt Emmons, finished with an Olympic record of 503.5 points after shooting a perfect 400 in qualifying. Lioubov Galkina of Russia won the silver and Snjezana Pejcic of Croatia took the bronze.
    The big surprise was a fifth-place finish by China’s Du Li. She won the event four years ago in Athens. Du was just a point behind Emmons after qualifying.
    Du was greeted with a roar from the fans in the upper balcony of the shooting range when she came out for the final. She turned to face the crowd with a wide smile on her face, waved and bowed before heading over to her lane. However, she misfired immediately in the final round, scoring only 9.8 points on her first attempt, the worst shot of any of the eight finalists.
    Competitors can earn up to 10.9 points per shot in the final.
    Jamie Beyerle of Lebanon, Pa., finished fourth.
    Emmons won by 1.4 points, a comfortable margin for the event. She entered the final shot all but assured of victory.
    Of course, her husband was in a similar spot four years ago in the three-position rifle event. He missed out on a gold medal because he fired at the wrong target on the final shot—an unthinkable gaffe.
    Matt Emmons did win a gold in prone rifle in Athens, and will compete in both prone and three-position rifle this year.
    -----------
    Congratz to Czech Republic! Local hope Du Li has huge pressure to perform best in front of her homesoil, disappointment for the host...

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

There's already a bad news today..

...a tragic story, today, as mentioned in yahoo! news..:(

14. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    You mean..kin of US coach got killed, right?:(

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^That's the one..^^

..not only the kin of the U.S. coach, but the story as a whole and what happened to the attacker..:(
    *I'm afraid that tour site will be unavailable to the public for a while.:(

16. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Hm..whats that? tell me...

17. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

The story is reported here :eek:

18. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

The Text

Father of former Olympian killed in Beijing

By BETH DUFF-BROWN
    Associated Press Writer

BEIJING - The murder of the father of a former Olympian at a Beijing landmark cast a sad shadow over the first full day of Olympic competition Saturday, just hours after China's jubilant opening of the Summer Games.

Todd and Barbara Bachman of Lakeville, Minn. — parents of 2004 volleyball Olympian Elisabeth "Wiz" Bachman and in-laws of U.S. men's volleyball coach Hugh McCutcheon — were attacked by a Chinese man while visiting the 13th-century Drum Tower.

The U.S. Olympic Committee confirmed Bachman died from knife wounds and that Barbara Bachman suffered life-threatening injuries. She and their Chinese tour guide, who was also injured in the attack, were being treated in a Beijing hospital.

Elisabeth Bachman was with them at the time of the attack, but uninjured. Her father was chief executive officer for Bachman's, Inc., a home-and-garden center based in Minneapolis.

The assailant, Tang Yongming, 47, leapt to his death from a 130-foot (40-meter) -high balcony on the Drum Tower, just five miles (eight kilometers) from the main Olympics site, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.

The midday attack sent shock waves through the games precinct after the Olympics' spectacular opening ceremony had set an ebullient tone. President George W. Bush, in the Chinese capital for the games, expressed sadness while American athletes and Olympics officials reacted with disbelief.

There was no indication that the assailant knew that his victims had any connection to the games.

"For all intents, it appears to be a random attack by a deranged man," an American member of the International Olympic Committee, Jim Easton, told The Associated Press. "The only thing we've heard is they were not identifiable except for a small volleyball pin which would probably be invisible to a guy."

Easton said the attack has stunned the Olympic community.

"It's certainly a down day, certainly for the U.S. people," he said. "Here it is supposed to be a great time of happiness and peace and all that. That's what we work hard for, then for one person to be able to put a dark cloud on that."

The U.S. women's indoor volleyball team heard about the killing of their former teammate's father before they took on Japan in a match Saturday. After their victory, player Logan Tom was obviously shaken.

"God, we all love Wiz," she said. "It's hard to put it in words. That's not something that's supposed to happen."
    Tom then turned away, crying.

"It's just tragic," said U.S. woman's basketball coach Anne Donovan. "I don't know if there's another word for it. We said a prayer for them in the locker room. I get goosebumps talking about it. It's something obviously that just changes the events right now for the Olympic Games."

Violent crime against foreigners is rare in tightly controlled China, and the assault at the Drum Tower, five miles from the main Olympics site, occurred despite major security measures that have blanketed the capital city during the Olympics: A 100,000-strong security force plus countless volunteer guards have been deployed to protect against any trouble.

Beijing's Communist leaders are hypersensitive about anything that could take the shine off the games. China's Foreign Ministry said it had no immediate comment on the attack. It was not mentioned in the main evening news bulletin on state-controlled television, though it was reported by the official Xinhua News Agency and other Chinese-language media.

Interpol said initial investigations found nothing indicating the murder was linked to terrorism or organized crime.

"So far, our database check and preliminary analysis suggest that today's murder-suicide was an isolated, though brutal, murder of one person and assault on two others," said Interpol Secretary General Ronald K. Noble.
    Tang's name was run through computers containing more than 178,000 individuals, including 12,000 suspected terrorists, and came up blank. But Noble noted that the investigation was not complete.

Interpol said Tang had apparently recently divorced and had not been seen by relatives for two months.

U.S. Ambassador Clark T. Randt visited the victims in hospital, and the embassy issued a statement later that said the attack "appears to be a senseless act of violence."

"We don't believe this was targeted at American citizens, and we don't believe this has anything to do with the Olympics," embassy spokeswoman Susan Stevenson said.

Jennie Finch, a member of the U.S. softball team, said her heart skipped a beat when she heard about the attack, but was undaunted.

"I'm here with my husband and son, so it's not easy but we're living our dreams and we're not going to live in fear," she said. "We're going to go out there every day and enjoy every day and celebrate it."

Attacks on foreigners in China are extremely rare. A Canadian model was murdered last month in Shanghai — police said she stumbled onto a burglary. In March, a screaming, bomb-strapped hostage-taker who commandeered a bus with 10 Australians aboard in the popular tourist city of Xi'an was shot dead by a police sniper.

Shanghai and Beijing are still safer than most cities of their size. Punishments for crimes against foreigners are heavier than for crimes against Chinese, and police-linked neighborhood watch groups are highly vigilant. Chinese are not allowed to own guns. Still, the U.S. government has warned Americans against muggings, beatings and even carjackings, especially in the nightlife and shopping districts of large cities.

The Drum Tower is one of few ancient structures still in fast-developing Beijing. Long ago, drummers pounded their massive instruments on the hour to let people in the imperial city know the time. It is located on an important central axis of the city, to the north of the Forbidden City, which was home to the emperor.

19. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Hm..No more Drum Tower for Chris...it is nice place....

20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Finally, India won Olympic Gold!

Yesterday (11 August 2008) was the most memorable day for India as this country grabbed gold medal for the first time in Olympic arena.

Family leads India’s celebrations of first gold

Aug 11, 4:54 am EDT
    By Krittivas Mukherjee

NEW DELHI, Aug 11 (Reuters) - Abhinav Bindra’s mother joked that his Olympic triumph had made him “the country’s most eligible bachelor” as Indians celebrated a historic first individual gold medal.
    Bindra’s family led the party after victory in the 10m air rifle event brought joy to a nation of more than one billion.
    “He has won the greatest medal in the world,” an ecstatic A.S. Bindra, the shooter’s father told Reuters. Bindra senior is a successful businessman who has provided his son with an air-conditioned shooting range where he can train.
    Neighbours and strangers streamed in and were offered sweets at the family home in the northern city of Chandigarh.

Babli Bindra, his mother, quipped: “Now I have lots of work ahead as he is the country’s most eligible bachelor.”
    Already, the 25-year-old shooter’s female fan base is growing.
    “Abhinav, will you marry me? My parents will have to buy that much less GOLD now,” read one congratulatory message posted by ‘Kaveri’ on the Reuters website.
    The family held a special prayer session on Sunday and brought out a newspaper advertisement urging people to pray for their son.
    Bindra’s victory eclipsed everything else on Indian TV channels which hailed it as a morale booster for a country with few global sporting stars.
    People poured on to the streets in several cities, strangers hugged each other and exchanged sweets and congratulatory messages after the victory.
    As the shooter fixed his gaze on the final target, the moment condensed the hopes of an entire nation starved of a solo Olympics gold.
    He hit a near perfect 10.8 in a brilliant final shot to pull ahead of Henri Hakkinen of Finland, who stumbled in his last shot allowing China’s Zhu Qinan, the favourite, to take the silver.
    India had only won four individual medals, none of them gold, since sending their first team to the Summer Games in 1928.
    The Indian men’s hockey team have won the Olympic tournament eight times, but the last time was in 1980.
    “We perhaps did not expect a gold and had long resigned to the fact that India performs poorly in the Games,” said Subir Mukherjee, a Kolkata resident.
    Former Indian athletes stars hailed the victory, saying the gold will now spur the Indian team in the Beijing Games.
    “It is a great achievement,” Vasudevan Baskaran, captain of the 1980 gold-winning hockey team told Reuters. “I’m thrilled, more than when we won our last gold medal.”
    “It is important we won a gold medal at the early stages of the Games.” he said. “This will change the way our athletes perform whether it is shooting, archery, boxing or badminton.” (Additional reporting by Jatindra Dash, Geetinder Garewal, Sujoy Dhar and N. Ananthanarayanan; editing by Keith Weir)