New Zealand Open 2013 - getting attention from the big boys

Discussion in 'Australian / New Zealand Open 2013' started by cobalt, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer Regular Member

Though I'm in Auckland, I only know a couple of names like Chance Cheng and Joe Wu ;p

And I heard of the name Emma Rodgers too (but not Adelina) lol.....

2. Higher

Higher Regular Member

As someone posted in another thread couple weeks ago, better for him to find another job.
    Badminton is almost certainly not suitable for him :D.
    Now it's not fun anymore ;).

3. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer Regular Member

I don't think any of the above NZ players are in national squad.

4. Higher

Higher Regular Member

I am afraid he is too big headed after winning against the World No.1 last week.
    He should stay focus.

5. Higher

Higher Regular Member

I remember that, it was very shocking news back then. An unpredictable upset.

6. Higher

Higher Regular Member

Are you sure? I watched the match. LCW might be not at his 100% form, but for sure not "clearly off". LCW was at very good form as I noticed.

7. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

here is the funny part, his father believe that he is one of the player that can win a BWF Level 1 competition....

i can imagine that he is being put on thomas cup and pray that the other players win for him...

8. bigying

bigying Regular Member

ERP Consultant
    first of all, LCW def was not at his peak, but his 80% is better than most of the field, which explains why/how he got to the SF at the australian open.with that said, i think THW lost because of a combination of factors.1. he must be physically drained from his participation in the AO. he was prob a bit lucky to be able to get to the finals of he AO (his path to the finals prob was not as hard fought as some others), but he did have to play SF and men's singles Final, which is 2-3 matches more than any others.2. he may have taken his opponents lightly,3. (we will never know) LYB may have asked him to do "as much as he physically could" in this tourney, but relent the finals crown to someone else such as his teammate in the AO mens singles final. so as far as the chinese mens singles team is concerned, this singles title will not be won by THW, decision made right after he won the AO. we may never know LYB's grand scheme for his chinese team, unless he decides to write a memoir.

9. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Riky Widianto/Richi Puspita Dili progress to the QF after beating another Chinese pair in rubber-set. Up next will be the home pair of Ross Smith/Renuga Veeran.

10. fathonezic

fathonezic Regular Member

Consultant
    too many excuses...
    the only reason why tian houwei lost was because the opponent is better than him on the field.
    anand pawar is simply better than tian in tuesday

11. Agile_Monkey

Agile_Monkey Regular Member

Student
    Sam takes on the badminton challenge – breakfast tvnz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Tg5Flan_nPY

TVNZ Breakfast Weatherman Sam Wallace takes on the Badminton Challenge at the SKYCITY New Zealand Badminton Open, attempting to match up with NZ No1 Joe Wu and former world No2 Ong Ewe Hock.

"Joe aims for the camera."
    "Ong demos the Double motion stroke."
    "Sam shows how to defend."
    :D

12. budibadibu

budibadibu Regular Member

Student
    It's nice to see Ricky/Richi quite in form again after very good run at Q4 last year.Hope they can take the title here =)

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Riky's injury during the Macau Open GPG affected his form in the first quarter this year. Yes, I am hoping for them to lift a GP title this week.

14. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Lol..I'm going to say I'm as bad as yours..I was last involved with the NZ players way back in like 2009! So has been a while. I see though Vicki Copeland is the sole NZ rep making it to the second round of ladies singles. When I last played Vicki, she was like this 18 or 19 year old. It was in an inter-club singles match. I was leading 9-4 in the rubber set (when we used to play to 11) when I went to hit a shot at the back of the court and then SNAP! I thought someone hit me at the back of my left leg but alas, it wasn't that..I tore my achilles tendon and was out of action for like 12 weeks after that..sigh! Happy memories! :p

Most of the top players that I know have now retired and I see all those juniors now coming up the senior ranks! I remember poor Vicki was crying and feeling bad like she caused my injury lol. So after that walkover, my head-to-head against her stood at 1-1..darn it! :p

Against Emma Rodgers...good lord, we had a few tough 3 set battles but she prevailed more than I did. She's definitely the better player for sure! I just happened to occassionally used the right tactic and placement to blunt her power lol..in short, the wise old lady having to outsmart the young quick fox! :)

So can't provide you with much more insight than that except to say most Kiwi players are really down to earth and cool people! Those of you at the tournament should go up to them and have a chat :) If you do see Emma, tell her Adelina says hi from Brisbane :p

A

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Well, actually a couple of things kept repeating themselves in my mind when I watched the LCW-THW match. LCW seemed to have ragged breathing almost from the start of the match. And he was loath to use full-powered smashes from the baseline or thereabouts, except on the rare occasion. These two together indicated (to me at least) that there was a cautionary approach to his play. His footwork and movement otherwise, was "normal service." :D

Not to take away anything from Tian Houwei, who played perhaps (so far) the game of his life.

16. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Yet another blow for Goh V. Shem/Lim Khim Wah as they lost in R16 to Li Junhui/Liu Yuchen.

17. badMania

badMania Regular Member

What a disaster for Renna Suwarno as she lost 15-21, 18-21. She was about to force rubber-set at 17-11 but was taken aback by Ayumi Mine's recovery and only won 1 more point since.

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Ajay Jayaram is down 14-21, 4-7 to Hong Ji Hoon. A very puzzling display from the talented Indian.

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
  20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Great stuff! Some really hilarious comments! Thanks for posting!