New Z-Slash smash speed record

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Blitzzards, Oct 19, 2009.

1. vming

vming Regular Member

Engineer
    Maybe Tan Boon Heong and Naoki Kawamae are only able to perform the hardest smash during the testing session, but Fu Haifeng is performing it during the match... :D

2. weird4ever

weird4ever Regular Member

Student
    He did the smash in a match. right? or i read wrongly.

Originally Posted by asriwn [​IMG]
    King of smashers Boon Heong holds record

RAJES PAUL reports from ODENSE

MALAYSIAN doubles shuttler Tan Boon Heong was on a high after being hailed as the world’s hardest smasher but Mohd Hafiz Hashim was down after being dumped in the second round of the Denmark Open yesterday.
    It was made official yesterday that Boon Heong now holds the fastest speed record for a smash at 421kph, which was recorded in the Japan Open in Tokyo last month.
    And bouyed with the acknowledgement, the 22-year-old Boon Heong is inspired to continue taking his game to a higher level.

3. weird4ever

Student
    He did smash in a match right. It says recorded in Japan open last month. Unless i read wrongly of course.

4. roy b

roy b Regular Member

No, during an out of match testing session. Presumably using the same flawed measuring technique used previously with the ZS.

These figures cannot be compared to previous figures for other rackets as a totally different way of measuring is used - measuring only the first couple of cms from the shuttle hitting the racket. See thread on ZS racket reviews for more details.

Since this is a flawed system of measurement, sorry but nobody can claim any world record. Just put it down to Yonex marketing.

5. weird4ever

Student
    ic.wow that clears things up.=p

6. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

i wanna see Fu hai feng try beating that :p

7. weird4ever

Student
    Yup no harm for yonex even though he is not with yonex anymore. It's still marketing for yonex if he uses yonex rackets.=D

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I believe..

..it was done during an out-of-competition testing; not during a match. If not, mistaken, there is another thread which discusses abt this news.
    That 421 km/h must probably be recorded when the shuttle left the racket. Different than the one recorded for FHF.
    Here is the news (start w/post #1015):
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73213&page=60
    ..i thought you'd call him the DATO OF SMASHER??..:confused:

#28 ctjcad, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  9. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Better than nothing bro.

If cant win the majors, at least got something to be proud of.

They are still young. I believe, as what BAM believe, they can do it, they can win majors. All we have to give them is confidence, time, and chances.

When a player like HH can still MAS 2nd MS, nothing is impossible.

10. Weily

Weily Regular Member

Assistant Quantity Surveyor

HAHAHAHA.. this is so true!

11. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Your first paragraph is not reasonable...

The speed checked in a test condition would definitely be much faster than those in a real match. Because in a test condition you can measure the speed earlier, due to the fact that you know where and when the racket will hit the shuttle. And we all know how quickly a shuttle slows down once it leaves the racket.

In fact, such measurements are kind of meaningless if not done under the exact same situation. For example, in 1997 AE, DJ's smash is recorded at 199km/h. Can we conclude from this that DJ is not as powerful as Zhang Ning, whose smashes reach 230km/h? Of course not. The major reason ZN has higher smash speed should be the improvement of speed-measuring machines. Newer machines can catch the shuttle at earlier times than old ones, and thus show much higher speeds.

Maybe we should set up two records: FHF holds the record in a real match, while TBH holds the record in test situation (of course, many people believe it will be broken once FHF decides to try such a test himself).

12. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

All the "speed" is recorded when the shuttle left the racket. Otherwise we would see many people die in badminton matches. :D:D

13. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I think KKK is going downhill. He is not as fast as before (or as he believes himself to be).

Let's pair TBH up with Hendra Setiawan. That pair should be able to beat the crap out of any other pair. :D:D

14. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Bros: if compare The latest Yonex Z slash vs Li ning Fu haifeng N50, which will will be the better choice?

15. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

They measure a whole load of things, looking for high stats to put out there. But I think basic shuttle speed is measured using distance/time, therefore giving the km/hr or something like that.

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

did you ever see any kind of recording device(s) placed next to FuHF when he delivered his "used to be record breaking" 332 km/h smash??:confused:
    If not, where did they put the speed gun and how did they record his smash??..:confused:

17. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

As far as I understand, it's some kind of high-speed camera. Thus to record the highest speed, you need to be able to aim at the right place at the right moment, which is much harder in a real match.

Furthermore, in another thread I saw someone saying that usually the speed is measured later than what Yonex did this time. So no wonder TBH got a much higher number than FHF.

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Exactly..^^

..thus 2 different scenarios, different conditions and set-ups.

19. roy b

roy b Regular Member

Forum member Jerby first mentioned this in the Arc ZS Review thread in the Equipment review section.

FHF' s smash was recorded by looking at the first 15cms or so of shuttle flight after being stuck by the racket.

TBH's smash was recorded by looking at only the first 3 cms of shuttle flight after being struck by the racket - the moment of maximum speed only !!!!!

No wonder TBH's figure was much higher !!!!!! It didn't take into account the significant deceleration affecting the shuttle over the longer distance in the case of FHF .

Oh so sneaky Yonex. Great marketing though.

Unfortunately, most people on this forum are ignoring the simple fact that the system used when measuring the Arc ZS smashes is fundementally flawed and designed to deceive. People just WANT to believe desperately that this racket is the new messiah so they turn a blind eye to the simple facts.

20. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    Another yonex style to impress people ... I wonder if Malaysia Boleh!! Yonex Boleh?? I hate their style, but I love their product but not the price . But yes , Li Ning have much ridicilous price!!!Junior brand(in badminton) but more ridicilous price then yonex . Im not confidence with Li Ning technology myself , but they dont do any market strategy(yet?) like yonex are doing/having right now ~~~