New world record !!!!

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2005' started by Syaoran_Style, May 11, 2005.

1. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

So with the shuttle deceleration as Mag mentioned ;does the argument shift to 'Is badminton the world's fastest racket sport?'[tell me quick yes or no]

2. Ben Beckman

Ben Beckman Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    if the shuttle decelerates that much for fu's smash then it must be decelerating at more that 100km/miliseconds, thats pretty quick so how can it be true.

if he hits it at 336kmph and it hits the floor at 30-40km/h then it has slowed by 300km/h in bout 0.2-0.3 seconds,that 100km/milisecond so how can it reduce so much?!don't think it is possible.

so a deceleration of 300km/h in about 30ft. that means the shuttle slows down 30km/h in a foot!

i need an explanation!

i also think chen hong has a 200mph smash in his armoury, i've seen him live and jonassen live and chen hits it a lot of harder than jonassen.

#42 Ben Beckman, May 12, 2005
    Last edited: May 12, 2005
  3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

yeah but no but yeah but....

how about which racquet sport has the shortest average time between each player having to play a shot...

4. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

I agree. But, the player still needs to judge the speed, direction/angle of the smash and react to it all in that 0.2 second. In case of world-class players, most probably also where to place the return. That's awfully quick, IMHO. And, again, I'd be interested to know how it compares to reaction times in other sports.

5. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

That's what I think too. IOW, the "fastest racquet sport" term is slightly misleading. IMHO, it more refers to the overall pace of the game rather than simply the speed of the shuttle. Although, as the latest measurements show, the shuttle does travel at a considerable speed too, if only for a split second. Combine that with the sizes of the court, the shuttle and the racquet, and the three dimensional aspect of the game, I think badminton absolutely deserves the title "the fastest racquet sport."

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Well.. I think its faster.. But harder???? Probably not :p

/Twobeer

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    but u forgot about deception :eek:
    If only i can read striker's shots all the time :eek:

#47 cooler, May 12, 2005
  8. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    yes :cool:

/Twobeer

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yes, fast should be referenced to the player's reaction, not the absolute speed of the ball or other projectile.

eg. a missile is even faster but it can be shot down
    Hunting is a sport, does it make it the world fastest sport?
    (to a hunter no, to a bird or hunted animal, yes :D )

tennis vs badminton
    just go watch some Tennis Doubles and you'll find how 'slow' it is compare to badminton doubles.

#49 cooler, May 12, 2005
  10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think you have a valid point.. the thread about the smash hitting the floor at 40km/h was made in the 70's and it was said it was hit from the baseline. But important facts like the angle of the smash and speed of the shuttle is lacking to draw any major conclusions from that numbers i think (if that isn't publicised elswere).. If the angle is really flat (imagine a smash from the baseline hitting the opposite baseline (or even going out) would most probably have rather low speed hitting the floor than a steeper smash ;-)..

At least to me it's obvious that a smash on a short lift hits the floor on the oposite side at a repectable speed (=more than 40km/h) ;-D

my 2 cents.

/Twobeer

11. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    i defo agree with this. i mean - did the 70's guy jumpsmash? i'd imagine that would make quite a difference - i'm sure fu's smash was no where near the baseline, and a jumpsmash at that. both of these would dramatically affect the distance the shuttle has to travel, which ultimately affects the amount the shuttle slows before it hits the floor. i mean - if you jumpsmashed from the service line there is a fair chance the shuttle would hit the floor at about 200 - 250 km/h

my tuppence worth :)

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Shuttlers put tennis stars to shame

TheStar

BEIJING: Badminton can firmly stake its claim to be the world's fastest racquet sport with smashes reaching speeds of up to 332kph (207mph) so far in testing during the Sudirman Cup world mixed team championships here.

The International Badminton Federation (IBF) are conducting speed trials for the first time at one of their major events with microwave sensors recording the speed of smashes on the main court.

Chinese doubles star Fu Haifeng has clocked the fastest smash of 332kph so far while world number two Kenneth Jonassen of Denmark has recorded the fastest smash for a singles player at 298kph (185mph).

And with women's doubles shuttler Huang Sui hitting at 257kph (160mph), tennis star Andy Roddicks world-record serve of 246kph (153mph) is some way off of badminton's blistering pace.

The equipment is currently only able to record speeds of up to around 350kph (217mph) and today's star shuttlers are already pushing the limits. – AFP

13. badplayer2004

badplayer2004 Regular Member

yes,as mentioned in another thread ,in the all england against the danes....noticed their ((fu/cai) speed was unearthly :eek:

yes..sometimes when watching tennis...it does look like slow motion :D

14. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    According to the report in worldbadminton.net, Simon Archer's old record was 260kph. Only a difference of 3kph. :eek: :eek: :eek:

15. franxon

franxon Regular Member

if the max speed for the microwave detector is 350km/h, where is the 364km/h of Yonex armortec from?

and, if Fu Haifeng smashes at 332km/h, does a max speed of 364km/h for armortec have any meaning to most of us?

16. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    The funny part is Fu is not even using AT's, he and Cai uses Ti-10. I wonder where they took that also...

17. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    I forwarded the artcile from Worldbadminton.net onto BAdminton Australia and got this response:

Hi Stuart

Thanks – you may be interested to know that Alex Loccisano is the software developer and works in Melbourne – he has been using our squad training to test out the radar gun and software over the past few months and is up there in Beijing doing what you have reported on.

He is also developing some onscreen graphics for future use to make the sport more accessible to a television audience.

Cheers

Stuart Borrie
    National Executive Director
    Badminton Australia
    15/8 Techno Park Drive
    Williamstown VIC 3141
    www.badminton.org.au

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it is just my guess (guessing yonex's marketing mind), since the fastest documented speed was by Jim Laugesen at 364km/h, yonex probably used this speed as reference.

if u read yonex brochure, they showed photo frames. They dont use radar or microwave methods. However, MV is much more conveniene to use, great for tv as results in almost instanteous. It would wow the crowd if the MV meter blinks repeatedly with 350 km/hr, overloading the MV machine LOL

19. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Interesting to learn they are working on making the sport more accessible to television audience.
    I'm really looking forward to watching live badminton with cool "on-screen graphics" and all!! :):cool:

20. fanatico

fanatico Regular Member

Student
    i think the point Neil Nicholls vbmenu_register("postmenu_242796", true); brought up is valid. he is not questioning the expertise. he is merely curious hence i see a reason for him to ask. i wanted to ask that question too :)