New racket recommendations from Yonex ti3

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by RobUK, Jan 10, 2023.

1. RobUK

RobUK New Member

Hi all,
    I'm looking for some advice on a new racket. Little bit of history first. I started playing at 16 and carried on until around my mid 20's. I played doubles league and at some point around the early 2000's picking up the Yonex ti3. It's been my go to racket since. I didn't play much from mid 20's until late 30's. I've been playing non stop again now for around 18 months, filling in for players in the 21/22 doubles league season and now playing full time in the 22/23 season.
    I'm still using the ti3 which is getting a little old and tired after 2 decades. It's coming up to my 41st birthday and the Mrs said she would buy me a new one. This is where I am stumped. I loved playing with my ti3 up until about 2 months ago when the strings snapped, they were orange and i thought they were bg65. I had no idea what tension after all these years. So I went 22lb and bg65. I'm not happy since, one of my other rackets has orange bg80 power, so it might have been those. The ti3 is 2U G3. I like a thick grip, so this has grips on it. I've read the ti3 racket is head heavy, but it feels balanced to me compared to my doubles partners 88s play, which feels head heavy and over all heavier than mine at 4U G5. I have always had a stong wrist and backhand, so looking to keep that or improve upon it and always had good power from the ti3 smashing, not so much after the new strings. I'll progably go back to the bg80 power stings.

So any ideas on a new racket? I want to keep power in my smash, I like attacking, but need the speed of reaction at the front, which the ti3 in the past has given me, despite it supposedly being 2U. So maybe a more balanced racket, slightly head heavy for power or will the bg80 power compensate enough to keep it more blanced for the quick reactions and net play?

I've done a bit of reading and keep coming back to the 88s Game racket. But i'm not sure on the small grip, lighter weight and being head heavy.

Thanks in advance and any question let me know.

Rob.

2. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

that is so weird.....my ti3 was among the weakest smashing power in the entire yonex ti family.....regardless of string used.....how the hell do you even enjoy smashing with it

the only redeeming quality of that racket if i remember right was very good defend & easy to play.....lol.....definitely not power

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

It possible if from all range of racket available on his era up till now, TI3 is his best power racket he ever tried.
    You wont know if Burger Kings taste better than MC'D burger if you never try it.

But i guest its hard to find similar racket to those old model. Today model are way different than the old one. Not to mention its 2U & today 3U are getting closer to extinction.

badmintonpog1 likes this.
  4. RobUK

RobUK New Member

Thanks for the replies, do you have any suggestions for me on a racket?

5. pootisfoib

pootisfoib Regular Member

According to the year 2000 Yonex catalogue, Ti-3 is medium flex, and head-light to even-balance. The current Yonex rackets that match those specs would be the Nanoflare 700 (only 4u or 5u) and Arcsaber 7 pro (only 4u). Since your Ti-3 is 2u, maybe consider a 3u racket like Astrox 77 (OG non-pro), Nanoflare 800 3u or Arcsaber 11 pro 3u. The latter 2 will be stiffer than the Ti-3 though.

If you're willing to try other brands I would recommend the JNice Black Panther (3u or 4u), Victor Brave Sword 12 3u, Victor Auraspeed CY 3u, Victor Auraspeed Hypersonic 3u, Li Ning N7ii/Turbo Charging 70, or Li Ning N90iv/3d Calibar 900B. Those rackets will give you speed in the front court and decent all-around power. These rackets have g5 grips though so if you're used to a thick grip you can add more layers of overgrip to the handle.

Honestly, my top recommendation for you would be the Jnice Black Panther, and since you're in the UK, you can get it from Badminton Racket Review, which I linked above.

#5 pootisfoib, Jan 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  6. slim416

slim416 Regular Member

I went from a 2U Ti-7 to 2U Arcsaber 10's for many years. I would try the ArcSaber 7 Pro - the lighter weight might get some getting used to but the flex and balance should be similar to your own Ti-3.