New racket for singles (but still sometimes doubles)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by phantan123, Apr 25, 2019.

1. phantan123

phantan123 Regular Member

Hey guys, i needed to get a new racket because i find that my current astrox 7 to be a bit too light for me now so i was thinking of getting a replacement and keep the astrox 7 for doubles so i can focus more on singles .Since it was too light, i was thinking of something beefier,definitely a 3U or a more head heavy and stiff 4U..

So far, i have taken these rackets into consideration and would like you guys to give me your two cents on each, i know there are more options also suitable but these are the ones i can remember that my local shop probably has.
    Arcsaber 11 (i am a bit hesitant with this one cause my usual tension is a bit higher than what it can hold)
    Duora 10
    Astrox 88D 4U and 88S 3U (ideally i would choose these rackets but the 88 series are selling like hot cakes where im from so they're most likely out of stock ://)
    Astrox 77 3U ( since the 7 and 77 are pretty similar i thought that maybe getting a heavier one would do the trick but my local shop might not have the 3U version and dont know how it will feel with 4U)
    Victor JS11 3U and HX900 3U (last time i checked on my shop's website they still had these but currently not so sure)
    There is also a z force 2 and a 99 but those are definitely way above my league and budget (99 especially)

#1 phantan123, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  2. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

AX 88S 4U is a good compromise. Definitely perfect for double but still packs a great punch for singles. I would say if you go 3U the downside in doubles would be larger then going 4U in singles.

That's all I would suggest out of that list you have. The JS11 isn't really a singles racket IMO. If you are looking for good rackets for all around I would suggest looking at the following:

YY- AX 88S -4U
    YY- Duora 10
    YY- NanoFlare 700
    Vic- TKF -4U
    Vic- Auraspeed 80x(possibly? I heard it is decent for both)

phantan123 likes this.
  3. phantan123

Thanks for your opinion but theres one thing thats bothering me on your recommendation of thr Nanoflare. To my eyes, i think it is too light plus the fact its not a head heavy rackets means that although it is quick but wont pack a big enough punch needed for singles. Is that true or am i missing something?

4. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

I used one a few days ago only for 1 session. It was definitely even to slightly head heavy. I would say it felt very very similar to holding my JS12. I am 6'3" and 235lbs. I didnt have much issue generating power at all. I mean it took more effort then my TKF but it was still easily doable for club play and transition to doubles like you want.

I was assuming we were talking about club/fun/semi competitive play here. Hence transitioning between events. If you are playing super competitively and focusing on pure performance then I would say no to the NF700

phantan123 likes this.
  5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Last few month im looking for 2nd racket & been able to try dry swing (not actual stroke on the court) some few racket.
    For me, i had simillar feeling for AX7. Its to light for me being 4U & slight head heavy.
    AX88D is good but my wallet crying out loud. The cheaper one might be AX68D but havent been able to found one here.

So my choice come down to Victor TK770HTi 3U. Its stiff racket while AX7 is mid flex. I could feel i got underpowered abit with it (this is my 1st time using stiff shaft, so its as expected), but i found another level of accuracy in my shot. So with this my atk is abit less powerfull but alot more sharper. I think its a good tradeoff & i just need to train my muscle abit to get my power shot back.

Btw my preference racket is that i love the feeling of wielding a hammer than a feather & i like heavy/solid BANG (not the sound but the impact feeling) when hitting the bird. So maybe you can look for TK770HTi & see if ot suit you or not. It have 3U & 4U variant.

phantan123 likes this.
  6. phantan123

Thanks for your opinion.You surprised me when you said it was easy to generate power but it probably wont change my mind about it.Since its only a 4u i dont think i will be satisfied with the feeling of it since i have already used a 4u before.

I think you said exactly what i had in mind ;) Budi. My shop sadly doesnt have much variety so i dont think i'll find something else suitable from a different brand as it mainly focuses on Yonex (because of its reputation with pro players and popularity where im from, and yes...it only has Yonex strings :(( ).

7. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Apacs virtuoso performance, lethal 60II are good options too and without breaking the bank. The new and nice black and yellow AVP particularly is selling ng for about RM 135 only and yet this racket is fast but beefy.

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

phantan123 likes this.
  8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I demoed the 4U AX88S and to me it was a very light racket. Nothing which is beefier than an AX7. You must go into 3U territory or need a real banger like VT80 E-tune as 4U. I recommend to look at the Voltric DG series. You don't need to spend much and can get a 3U head heavy racket. VT7DG is a nice and heavy racket for your singles game and in your budget.

phantan123 likes this.
  9. phantan123

Thx for your suggestion...i've used an apacs before...actually it was my first racket and i was satisfied with it...but this one...holy cow is the paint job hideous :// (the virtuoso btw)

The thought crossed my mind too but the last time i checked my shop...the only voltric there was a z force 2 -_- .Either way i think im going to buy a 3u balanced racket first to get a feel for a 3u again like the duora 10,which is also a bit head heavy and if im still not satisfied then i'll work it out in the future :).
    Im not gonna close the thread yet as i havent got the money and would like to hear more of you guy's opinions also.

10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Well, if you come from a 39.5g head weight AX7 and buy a 41g head weight Duora 10 you get the same feeling with some lead tape without risking much money. You live in Vietnam so ordering from an other asian country shouldn't be an issue. You don't must loyal to the shop around the corner. This 3U vs. 4U thing is not like night and day. Since you feel your AX7 as too light, you can play a 3U without issues. I suggest to play rackets from friends first to get an impression of what you really want bad. To me it seems that you want something more weight but fear to get something too heavy. To eliminate this demo from friends and mates.

phantan123 likes this.
  11. phantan123

I understand what you are trying to say...i also would like to be able to make online orders too but due to some issues i havent got something like a credit card yet so it limits my options greatly :(.
    About the demoing other peoples rackets thing, i have tried a lining aeronaunt 4000C from a friend and it was nearly what i was looking for. I just wanted something with a little more head weight and the duora 10 fits the criteria the most for me.

12. phantan123

Today i had an opportunity to try a friends 3UG5 DZS.At first i thought it will be hard to use because of the stiff shaft and compact head but i actually found it to be quite manageable.
    Of course i had to change my timing a bit and although i did make a few mishits,overall it didnt leave a bad taste in my mouth.I wanted to try it more when playing singles but court was busy today so i could only try it in doubles.Now on to a more detailed report:
    Hitting clears was actually satisfying and was more effortless than my astrox 7.Note that although it was 3U, it felt natural to me, it felt like something i really needed in a racket and my body was prepared for it.Doing drives was also great but not much difference from my 7.Maybe i didnt hit close enough to the sweetspot ://.
    Defense was also good but naturally i couldnt do the high lift shots to the baseline as easily as the 7(i like to do these shots alot as i have quick reflexes and a good wrist) but other shots were fine.
    On attacking, this is where the real difference lies,because the 7 was a 4u i could make snappier smashes that carry good speed but with the Z strike it obviously wouldnt be as quick hence my smashes felt and LOOK slower.When i do a full rotation jump smash, again it felt the same but not as noticeable,this is not the rackets fault as i still havent got used to the compact head yet.
    Overall, considering the little time i had with the DZS and how vastly different it is compared to the astrox 7,i am actually quite pleased with it.Definitely it would feel better if i was playing in singles.Now this experience has led me to the choice of either a 3U 88D or a 3U 88S as i still want my rackets to be head heavy.Do you guys think it will be a good choice or i should get something more user-friendly.

13. Waba

Waba New Member

I don't know if you're still looking for a racket. Considering you're needs you should get the Mizuno Fortius 30. It's the best singles racket in the Fortius serie. If you have money to spend you should look into the Mizuno 10 power. It's a 4u racket stiff shaft but is extremely powerful. I would personally say it's more powerful than the Astrox 88d. The Fortius 10 power is the best racket for doubles backcourt made by Mizuno. You can also play it in singles due to it being really versatile. Hope you can do something with this information!