New Dawn For Malaysian Badminton

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by X Ball, Mar 20, 2007.

1. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The question is this, are we so easily made happy with Koo/Tan's achievements, without concern with the overall state of affairs? Sure, Koo/Tan did great, the girls and an ageing Roslin performed very well, but that doesn't make a great overall team performance. How do we even harbour the dream to win back Thomas Cup and make an impact in Uber/Sudirman Cups?

What happened to Hafiz after his All England victory, why keep pointing fingers at Misbun alone? LCW's rot started way before Li Mao left, what was the cause? KBH never actually recovered from his TC failure, should he still be in the squad? Why are the grassroot BJSS players not stepping up quickly enough? Why after 5 years are we still relying only on WMC and WPT/CEH in the women's squad, what happened to the other girls who share the same coaches? These are questions to be answered.

Unlike PBSI, BAM don't have funding issues, they can and have hired the best coaches time and again, but results are not forthcoming since Tan Sri Elyas Omar was pushed out. Koo/Tan are just exceptions to the rule.

2. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Abedeng, in life we must not ask too much or else we will not be happy. Similarly in badminton, we have come a long way with our doubles, and we should be happy.

You are not happy because we have not achieved in every department of badminton, and to you it is not a new dawn....maybe a little sunrise perhaps?;) :)

3. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Loh, sunrise, sunset, dawn, ...what does it mean to you ? Nothing.....because there is no dawn, sunset, or sunrise in Singapore's badminton.:D Sorry friend for being :rolleyes: . :)

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think that is a bit too harsh.

I personally think that Singapore Badminton has made marked improvement over the decade. If we can produce a Ronald Susilo (WR 24), though we can't claim 100% credit since he came here only during Secondary 2, which is equivalent to about 13 years' old, who can beat Lin Dan (WR1) during R1 of the last Olympics and your very own LCW (WR4) during the recent Swiss Open, your description which is tantamount to "no future" does not hold ground.

If our very own Kendrick Lee (WR 27), can give your veteran Roslin Hashim (WR 19) a good fight in 3 games during the Swiss Open, Singapore Badminton can't be that bad.

Though we can't expect much from tiny Singapore, our SBA has a viable programme to train badminton talents, both from locally and abroad. The support from our government and sponsors is still available. Our Sports School will soon produce its first graduates which can add to the supply of badminton players to the small talent pool for the National Team. Hopefully, the other schools can add a little more to the pool.

So, there will still be pockets of sunrise here and there to sustain the interest of our badminton fraternity. Hopefully, we all agree that badminton is not a sunset industry. :D

5. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    X_Ball, Loh deserves more respect than that. And just because SG hasn't made a breakthrough doesn't mean it will remain that way forever.

Bear in mind that S'pore had produced outstanding players before, they can do it again. In fact they had quite a good tournament in Swiss Open.

Your definition of too much is my definition of not enough. I've seen enough from the mid-70s when an untalented Malaysia beat Denmark to the TC final 1976 on the strength of team spirit alone (even though we eventually lost to Indonesia in the final). That same spirit + some talent + better coaching carried us through the 88, 90 finals before we eventually won it in 92, beating stronger opposition.

Now, we have more talents + even better coaching, but few talents are as spirited as the old Thomas Cup teams. And mentally, we just could not reach gold in WC and Olympics. As bad as the situation is in PBSI, Indonesia had always won Olympic Gold from 1992 to 2004, and I'm sure they will again next year.

#45 abedeng, Mar 27, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

By golly, you are talking my language, sunrise, sunset.:) ;)

Anyway, Singapore may one day develop a champion(s) but I don't see it on the horizon currently. I know how frustrating it is not to get someone up there to win something for Singapore (and no :rolleyes: intended here).

I still maintain that it is a new dawn - the fans have been waiting for someone to come along where they consistently win and give them something to cheer on. If you ask any Malaysian fan today, it did not matter to them whether LCW or Hafiz is doing badly....all they know and care for now is KKK-TBH, the champions. It is like a hurdle had been crossed.

The excitement is back in Malaysian badminton, whereby it did not matter if LCW loses his singles, there is still KKK-TBH in the Finals to cheer for !:p

Right guys ?

7. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Abedeng, stop sounding so pessimistic.....it is not all doom and gloom. Currently, it is more boom and bloom ! Malaysia Boleh !

The Asian Championship in Johor soon will be another glorious event where KKK-TBH will shine (we expect nothing less). I am pretty sure the other Malaysian pairs want to prove that they can be as good --- we might see some real sparks then.

LCW, the ex-Kampong Jaguh (Village Champ), will rise to claim his status again. Wong Tat Meng vows to be as good as Li Mao...so let us see ! BTW, LCW has 'bottomed out' --- he has hit the lowest status he can go, so I think the only way is UP for him.:D And I truly thinks he can do it if he plays strong and aggresive. Expect something new from him -- he is not about to lie down and fade away !

8. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Abedeng, stop sounding so pessimistic.....it is not all doom and gloom. Currently, it is more boom and bloom ! Malaysia Boleh !

The Asian Championship in Johor soon will be another glorious event where KKK-TBH will shine (we expect nothing less). I am pretty sure the other Malaysian pairs want to prove that they can be as good --- we might see some real sparks then.

LCW, the ex-Kampong Jaguh (Village Champ), will rise to claim his status again. Wong Tat Meng vows to be as good as Li Mao...so let us see ! BTW, LCW has 'bottomed out' --- he has hit the lowest status he can go, so I think the only way is UP for him.:D And I truly think he can do it if he plays strong and aggresive. Expect something new from him -- he is not about to lie down and fade away !

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    We need to talk your lingo to make you understand better. :p

Actually Singapore has produced champions before, it depends on at what level and your time frame for "horizon".

If I were a Malaysian fan, I definitely would like both Hafiz and LCW to be doing better than before, especially for LCW who has most of essential ingredients of becoming a champion again.

As someone has said, KKK/TBH have not tested the might of the Koreans yet and also remember other notable pairings have also taken the Malaysians more seriously and will do their homework to beat them at the next outing. Ups and downs are expected irrespective of how good a team is.

That's why it is important for Malaysia and other aspiring countries to develop a more balanced team in all the competitive events in order to maintain a truly good all-round standing. A lopsided development may not achieve the desired impact and success.

That's why I can't fully agree that a new dawn in Malaysian badminton has evolved.

10. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Loh, Malaysia is well advanced in its doubles program and its ladies are coming along well (despite the fact that I believe the current crop of players are not the best in training).

Sure the singles had a set back but is it the end of the world - LCW, Hafiz and WCH are still up with the top 10. If you have a reasonable expectation like mine, you would say Malaysia's success is other countries' demise (especially Singapore's).

Malaysia has swept 4 MD titles out of 6, even the dominant Chinese top pair has to 'kow-tow' to the Malaysian pair (KKK-TBH). With time, this pair might even be more daunting with more wins. Sure you talk about the Korean pair but tell me what have they done so far for KKK-TBH to fear them ? Did they win 4 titles out of 6 ? And don't tell me it is because they have not met KKK-TBH in the last few tournaments else KKK-TBH would have not won so many titles --- you might be accused of making suppositions. The fact is KKK-TBH beat all other players whom the Koreans lost to --- in fact, it is sad they were not good enough to get into the Finals to meet KKK-TBH. KKK-TBH wanted to meet them so badly but it was a case of the Koreans being not good enough --- so please don't make it look or sound like the Koreans would be a threat to KKK-TBH when they meet.

Learn how to face the truth and accord KKK-TBH the respect they truly deserve. Don't try to convince everyone that there are other teams about to spring surprises on KKK-TBH any time in the future. We waited in the last 4 tournaments (MALAYSIAN, ASIAD, ALL-ENGLAND, SWISS) and these teams have not surfaced ---- in fact so much so Rexy is scared that our players would be lured into complacency. But no chance, Rexy and the boys are prepared (they are more prepared now than before).

By the wayy, do you know the more you try to convince me the new dawn has not arrived, the more you sound like sour grapes. ;) :D

11. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

in my opinion, Razif exageratted a little. KKK/TBH are not perfect players yet. They have a lot mote to improve on. If some pairs break their winning streak, i guess it is hard for them to win back to back titles again. I can only wish KKK/TBH good luck rather than comment on their skills. Must improve more! :)

12. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

sorry, double posting due to connection error

13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    X_Ball,

There is no point gloating about our MD 4 wins. Did u see China happy with 3 or 4 titles per event? No, what they want is to dominate all. And from that desire, comes hunger, from hunger, comes the effort to make it happen. Sure they can and will fail many times, but they won't give up.

Your "reasonable success" cannot be expected to hold. As Loh mentioned, other pairs will do their homework to try and prise open KKK/TBH's invincibility, and Koreans have already partially succeeded. How are our doubles program considered well advanced when other pairs are not improving, and Choong/Lee are still better than most new blood at the tailend of their career.

And why all this talk about other countries' demise (Singapore in particular)? This is not the forum to look down to others' perceived lack of progress.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well, first I must thank abedeng for being fair and neutral and supports some of the points I've mentioned.

There is no way that I feel like sour grapes as I have acknowledged that Malaysia has a more superior programme and a larger talent pool in place for a much longer period. In fact that was what I've stated in post #24:

"In that sense, Malaysian badminton has some way to go. As for Singapore, we are far behind even with the help of foreign imports. We just don't have the necessary numbers of our own to form a more reliable and consistent base, unlike even Malaysia with a smaller population compared to Indonesia and giant China."

As for your remark on according respect to this young pair, I have also done so in the same post as follows:

"I naturally join all badminton loving Malaysians in celebrating KKK/TBH's recent successes which culminated in their AE crown. That was an awesome performance by such a young pair in such a prestigious and competitive international as the AE! Mind you, it took some 20 long years since the last Malaysian men's doubles' AE victory."

Maybe you have not taken note of what I've written before you made your accusations. ;)

15. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Abedeng and Loh, let us not go tit for tat. I can go on with this but I think I would give it a rest. :D

For me KKK-TBH have done their job, my view not yours. Let us keep it that way.:cool:

16. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

No not Singapore again:crying: :crying: :crying: The way they were sent packing in AE is like quicker than the <FED EX> logo printed on team China's uniform:p :rolleyes: :cool: :D
    But that's not the reason why i am here. How is Kendrick holding up?:crying: :crying: :crying: What? No more players after Kendrick:D Gee, i am very nervous on your behalf:crying: :crying: :crying:

17. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I think this thread has been blown out of proportion. I would have to agree with X Ball that I think this is indeed a new dawn for Malaysia, because we now have a pair that are truly world beaters. They will lose sometimes, but I think they will dominate for the next few years. It is a new dawn because others will want to emulate these 2, it is a new dawn because racquet sells are going through the roof, it is a new dawn because our top players will draw strength from these successes. In this context, it is a new dawn.

Loh, I think Singapore is doing the best job in trying to keep up with Badminton powers. Offering a home to potential youngsters who have no chance in their own country is a very noble effort, this should be lauded and encouraged. X Ball, I think we have to acknowledge that Singapore has done some good work here. However, to be perfectly honest with you, if LCW is performing to his optimum standard, he would not have lost to Ronald. No offence, but LCW's repertoire of shots and skills should have overwhelmed Ronald, but the fact is, he made way too many mistakes whereas Ronald kept his cool.

Coming back to the issue, I think it would be better not to dampen the euphoria that we are feeling right now:). Winning consistenly is something Malaysian badminton has been grappling for a number of years. X Ball, myself and lots of Malaysian badminton fans have been waiting for this moment for a long time....

#57 wl2172, Mar 28, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  18. malaysian19

malaysian19 Regular Member

student/part time coach
    winning,prize money, fame etc to me is consolation .. sometime people judge a team and be happy by their winning tlttle.. i think that is secondary, primary is to judge a team by their perfomance . i.e , if LCW beat lin dan on the next tournament, can he beat lin dan again on the next coming tournament? here is the difference between winning on LCW and KKK.. y are coach and players in malaysia more happy than ever on KKK winning compare to LCW past winning?, because they know KKK pairing can continue winning and its all on their ability and skill..here is 1 that need to be proud of. this is said by my coach working in MSN and i totally agree with him,,