New Dawn For Malaysian Badminton

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by X Ball, Mar 20, 2007.

1. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I agree with you Badminton competes with too many popular sports for money. But I think it can succeed if there is enough push for it --- it is a very good spectator sport. In fact, it compares well against tennis, which has got the mega dollars. So why is Badminton not getting as much money as tennis in terms of sponsorship.

In the Asian countries, we get full house for any tournament. Asians (Indonesians, Chinese, Malaysians, Thais and the Filipinos) enjoy the sport because it is fast and entertainiing. So why is it not popular elsewhere ?

I think generally there is not a lot of marketing in the countries outside of Asia. The World Badminton Association should promote more of the game -- by introducing it into schools in Europe or the US. I think they have done a bit of that in the US but it needs to continue. In countries such as Asia, where the game is established, the prizemoney need to increase to attract people to the sport. The badminton federation in each country need to promote the game to the corporates (for more sponsorship). No sport will survive without corporate marketing.

Having said all the above, I think the sport is now going through a cycle whereby more countries are getting involved with the Super Series, a good strategy to promote the game. It is quite good at the moment, there is a lot of hype about the game. The game is played in many countries now. The European are getting more involved with this sport, and some are getting very good at it. Perhaps in another 5 years, players from Slovakia might win the ALL-England.

WDYT ?

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Maybe its too early to confirm it's a "New Dawn".

Before the recent KKK/TBH's success (barely 6 months as a competitive pair), BAM seemed to be receiving brickbats for it's mishandling of the national trainees, not much better than its Indonesian counterpart, PBSI.

The appointment of Li Mao first, followed by Rexy has rejuvenated the men's departments and in women's singles as well. Even Rashid's girls did relatively well in major competitions. The positive forces have radiated all round! It was almost a new beginning in badminton for Malaysia because team morale seemed to have gone up a few notches.

But with the departure of Li Mao to Korea, the men's singles' aspirations, especially LCW's, appear to have departed as well. So the turning point has been blunted and the new dawn has once again to be ignited to inspire the men and women's singles to confirm an all-round development for Malaysian badminton.

No doubt, with KKK/TBH's inspiring AE success, the men's doubles department will continue to make an impact internationally. Rexy will see to it for he himself is now an inspired man. But how long will the other departments take to lift Malaysian badminton again? So the new dawn is still in the making, IMHO.

3. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Very good comment Loh, if you look at it the way you do.

When I wrote about the new dawn, I think every Malaysian will share my feelings that it is indeed a new dawn even though there is LCW's recent bad form and the departure of Li Mao.

Before the MD became a success, there was very little to cheer for even tho LCW provided some sparks now & then. Now there is so much to cheer and every Malaysian will now believe that KKK-TBH is a chance in all the coming tournaments that they will compete in. LCW, Hafiz, and the other doubles' woes are forgotten.

Human nature is such that they will expand on the positives than live on the negatives. The new dawn is a signal that Malaysians can now look forward to new successes through this spectacular pair of KKK-TBH. So what if LCW and Hafiz fail, it will still not deny them the joys that will be brought in by KKK-TBH. There is so much to look forward to, even LCW and Hafiz may be viewed in a positive light - that the other Malaysian players may turn around fuelled by this new dawn.:D Really Loh, if Singapore has Ronald firing, you will probably also call it a new dawn for Singapore too - you might even be more vocal than I:rolleyes: .

#23 X Ball, Mar 21, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I naturally join all badminton loving Malaysians in celebrating KKK/TBH's recent successes which culminated in their AE crown. That was an awesome performance by such a young pair in such a prestigious and competitive international as the AE! Mind you, it took some 20 long years since the last Malaysian men's doubles' AE victory.

Of course this has a very positive influence on the rest of the Malaysian team for now, they have seen with their own eyes that it is possible to win at the highest level, even with a pair that was formed for only about 6 months! When the more experienced LWW/CTF tried very hard over the years to take the crown but failed, this seemingly inexperienced pair have done it in a relatively short time! Yes, the confidence level has risen.

If Ronal Susilo can win the AE men's singles, the same positive feeling will also reveberate all over Singapore. We will also celebrate, no doubt!

But I can't honestly say that Ronald's win will "signal the new dawn for Singapore badminton", because there are so many other areas found wanting and will need much effort, resources, dedication, commitment and time to make them right.

Because of its generality, the description of the 'new dawn' should encompass the other related areas as well, not just in men's doubles only. Otherwise, there will be a lobsided development which impedes a more constant and consistent progress for badminton in Malaysia.

In that sense, Malaysian badminton has some way to go. As for Singapore, we are far behind even with the help of foreign imports. We just don't have the necessary numbers of our own to form a more reliable and consistent base, unlike even Malaysia with a smaller population compared to Indonesia and giant China.

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Yeah, I think "new dawn" is probably a bit dramatic. Firstly, it implies that Malaysia had long been in the dark, which is not the case. Secondly, you are placing too much burden on the shoulders of KKK/TBH, as if they are the only light-bringers of Malaysian badminton.

6. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    just hope they won't be like Hafiz in a few years time... heheheh :D

7. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

These two youngsters are worthy champions & no credit should be taken away from them. As a new pair, their opponents don't really know their game. You bet that their opponents will definitely sit down with their coaches & start reading KKK/TBH's game. As it is, they were taken to 3 games by their opponents in the last tournament which signifies the opponents making inroads. KKK/TBH has to remain vigilant, otherwise the faster the ascent, the faster the descent.

8. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

My friend, this is dramatic !!! The Sports Minister and her deputy, the BAM chairman, the politcal parties, and got knows who else were all converged at the KLIA Airport the other day to welcome the champs. For the first time in 25 years, Malaysia hailed an All-England MD champion. If that is not dramatic, I cannot think of anything else that is. Even coach Rexy said treat these two chaps properly coz they are "diamonds" (coming from Rexy, a previous champ, it cannot be wrong).

As for the use of the words "new dawn", clearly it is subjective. Personally, a new energy is happening and that to me is a new dawn -- yesterday was all gloomy, today is all happening.

9. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Hey Loh,

I Malaysia Boleh. Singapore sure also Boleh ;)
    Let the magic rub off on both Malaysian's and Singaporeans alike !

:D

TBBMBB(N)

10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Well, that's the problem, isn't it? Some success and all hell breaks loose. Failure and all hell breaks loose also. Why can't people take all these things calmly?

11. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

hahahaha, this is what it is about my friend. One success and we sing it up ! How often do you get to do this ?

And if I can borrow a saying : "it has been a long time between drinks for Malaysian fans". And if there is more to come from KKK-TBH, we will continue to make noises here about these heroes !
    :) ;)

12. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

the difference between KKK/TBH with other malaysian doubles is that KKK/TBH has faster speed and good low drives.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    My friend, you should read Rasif Sidek's assessment of this new pair to determine whether he is right or does it boil down to "speed and low drives" as you claim. ;)

14. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Really, if we want to talk about new dawns, this is not the time yet. The whole squad has to be consistent before new dawns happen. Not to take away anything from Koo/Tan and Rexy.

I've seen too much of MAS badminton to see how hopes went up and down. The only time we had consistency was that period between 1986 and 1996, and even then we only managed one Thomas Cup victory, 2nd place in World Championships, All-England and Olympics, and eventually failed miserably in 1996 Thomas Cup.

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Love for the coach(the living one, not the one for lying)

This may be a dumbass question but what did Rasif S. say? To me, most , if not all, MAS players have fantastic skills because that's how they are selected first and then they work on the fitness and the discipline. That's why MAS players are great to watch even when they break your heart after. The difference in outcome lies more in the mind: fearlessness and sheer hunger. Basically the brain directs the body and the outcome depends on whether the body can deliver. In KKK/TBH 's case, the urgency to deliver was triggered by coach Rexy's emotional outburst. They have never seen a coach so passionate, so reduced to tears and so broken he wanted to resign.( Now if LiMao could show that,LCW might be different.) So it's a good thing Rexy showed his feelings (I'm beginning to like him now) Believe me, the MAS MDs that are going to be firing are the ones doing it for Rexy, not for themselves. It's the ultimate motivation: love for the coach.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well Razif made his positive comments about KKK/TBH after their AE victory which you can find in the thread on "Players of the New Era".

He categorized them under "attack, defence, craft, pace & Power and Deception".

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41839 #2

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I think it may be more than just speed and low drives although these two are essential elements that won them games. Power and craftiness are definitely part of the winning strategy, and I suspect the ability to deliver all the above is also part of it.

These two guys (after watching the TV documentary about them recently) have been playing since they were kids. Their abilities were all coming from their years of training and I would strongly disagree with anyone who thinks that Rexy is not part of the winning strategy -- Rexy instils discipline, strength, character (including emotion), experience, and knowledge into the pair. No coach has shown such emotional involvement as Rexy -- threatening to quit to get his players to up their standards is never seen. It is a classic for me.

Rexy, if they decide to hire you for the rest of your life, it is not too long for me !!!

18. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Abedeng, pardon me but I think if you were looking at the Singles to fire as well before declaring it a new dawn, then I think you will be waiting for Sunset to come. :rolleyes: :)

19. ronnie14

ronnie14 Regular Member

yeah..hopefully LCW wil gain his confidnce back n playwell ths time around.. n well,well, kkk/tbh are doing well (we are so proud of them !!!)..btw, the thg of kkk promoting hair cream ? :p heheh,sounds cute but no, lets jst let him promote bdmtn rackets or sumthg rathr than d cream..hehe

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Come to think of it,"dawn", which is described as the first appearance of light in the sky before "sunrise" is not too much different from sunset in the physical sense. :D