new club house has born

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by passmore, Mar 27, 2011.

1. mkm_player

mkm_player Regular Member

:eek:

Dude! Take a chill pill.

This is a forum and people are just sharing their own experiences about the club. Not saying that they are right or wrong - but by sharing, we get an idea of what the place is like through the eyes of people who have gone there.

You yourself said you've never tried out the place - so please let people who have gone there share their thoughts.

If you hate Agincourt so bad, please make a new thread and rant all you want there.

Thank you.

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Actually, there is a thread for Agincourt! :D
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/81455-Re-New-badminton-club-in-Scarborough

I've been following this thread (passmore) ever since Passmore started it, and I must say it sounds interesting. I would just like to share my opinion here: this is after all a public forum, and I appreciate that Passmore is trying to use the forum to popularise the club. Nothing wrong with that! :)

But then, Passmore must be prepared to accept criticism along with praise, and maybe not be so abrasive at times. There's nothing wrong with people asking for some pics to be posted. It saves a lot of people a lot of commute time. To deride such a request is not a smart thing to do. If a forumer shares a bad experience he has a right to. But Passmore telling the forumer to "stay at home then" or compare badminton with ice hockey is a little over the top IMO.

If a club house charges a nominal or very reasonable fee, then it is likely that you will find some sort of compromise being made in terms of facilities, and sometimes, even management of resources. I think a player should be prepared for that. On the other side, an owner should be prepared to accept some criticism without coming off as arrogant or unresponsive, and maybe act positively on any justified criticism. The correct attitude always helps reputation or business in the long run.

All my opinions. Sorry, I didn't mean to sermonize, either! No offense meant to anyone.

3. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

If you saw my wife's cooking you wouldn't say that.

WTF are you talking about? I grew up playing hockey and I still have all my original teeth! But, what the hell does that have to do with someone stating that there are nonplayers interfering with play on a badminton court? Having these players siting within a foot of the lines is a hazzard and is a hell of alot more dangerous than hockey.

There's a big difference between the risks associated with playing a game and risk coming from outside factors. Colliding with someone who is intruding on the court is fckn dangerous. Are you on drugs?

Less then what? I haven't had any chess injuries. Besides, I thought you just said risk taking will offer excitement? Are you now saying that badminton is boring?

Telling potential customers to stay at home is a pretty stupid business strategy.

4. thunder.tw

wimp :D

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    9pm. behind the warehouse. alone. :p

6. thunder.tw

Why bring your s-e-x life into this discussion? ..... and ew! :p

The word *** is censored? Are you kidding me?

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Speek fer yerself! :D
    And yeah big guy, this happens to be a family-oriented forum. Family. Oriented. Get it?

8. thunder.tw

LOL family oriented is one thing but, I'm pretty sure that particular word is in the vocabulary of most 10 year olds. Sign of the times I suppose. The Simpsons have surplanted the Cosbys.

9. stevie 1

stevie 1 Regular Member

hay do anyone know the phone number of passmore badminton?

10. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

11. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    After going to Passmore about 10 times during the summer I have a few comments about the club.

The court as you enter the main entrance may be the best court. The two courts to the left of the first court are horrible. One of them is right up against the wall. If someone hit the bird to that corner you win the point because no one will risk their racquet with the high chance of breaking it. They have foam padding incase you run into the wall but you can't even play on that court.

The second of the two courts is alright, the only thing is the net is way too low. All the nets are held up with high-grade plastic tubing attached to a metal base bolted to the ground. The tubes bend to an extent and the net is lowered as a result.

One of the four other courts' rubber mats are not secure to the floor. I experienced and previously watched a player push the mat off the ground by lunging to the side, it could not withstand the force. The part of the court was raised and flopped back into place after the player took his feet off that section of the court.

The lighting is pretty bad. The ceiling lights are bright, covered with a white cloth screen. The light shines through easily but it is way too bright. Some lights are also mounted to the side of the wall above a court. While this may help that one court, if you are at another court facing the lights, it prevents you from clearly seeing the bird.

The receptionist/secretary is a nice lady. I am not sure if there are more than one but this is the one I encountered all 10 times I was there. While nice, there seems to be a huge lack of professionalism and organization. A few friends bought memberships because it was cheap, we could do drills and it got the job done. The way the lady judged if we had to pay or not was by looking at our faces. She never once checked a computer or record to see if we were actually members. One of my friends didn't even have to pay once.

Drop-in is mixed with court rentals. For the first hour that a couple friends and I went to drop-in, five of the seven courts were booked leaving the two crappiest courts that I first described free for drop-in. This was hardly enough to facilitate all the players. It was busy, humid but there was nothing you could do. Eventually the court rentals ended so the drop-in players could disperse but it was very dissapointing.

12. ibm88

ibm88 Regular Member

I have a few comments myself. Most people are honest and that they will pay their way and not try to cheat other people or business that are struggling. It is not a perfect facility but it is a start. If your friend likes to steal well then we know what kind of person he is. If you knew how much it costs to run the business then maybe you will understand why the facilities are they way they are. Lets be fair and reasonable to these clubs.

13. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    Who said anything about stealing? Infact you have no idea the type of person he is. I never stated whether his not paying was intentional or not. Infact we remembered after we left, this was unintentional.Regardless of the cost to running a business, there should be a certain amount of organization which is not there. The receptionist should be doing a full check to see that the player has paid before entering the court but she has not done this when we played there.Let's be fair and reasonable when judging others.

14. ibm88

ibm88 Regular Member

I believe the best policy for anybody is to owe up to paying first then playing. If your friend forgot to pay then he should go back and pay for the use of the courts that would be nice. The owners are very friendly and trusting lets leave it at that.

Thanks for your input

15. Limited328

Limited328 Regular Member

Can anyone comment on this club house? A group of us are thinking of switching from "everyday badminton" to a new location.

16. Tornoni

Tornoni Regular Member

Finance
    You are the best judge for yourself and your group.
    Go in there and look or play a few games, then decide whether it's suitable for your liking.

17. FGmode

FGmode Regular Member

I'm looking for someone to play with at that club, I walk by there everyday since I work near there, and courts are always available

18. Limited328

Limited328 Regular Member

I live in the area, but haven't played badminton for a few months, and I usually play doubles=p
    I could play singles to get back into shape, but could have gone a little noobish
    haha

19. FGmode

FGmode Regular Member

Do you want to meet up, what's your schedule like, I can play from Monday around 5-6 pm, Tuesday and Wednesday preferably around 10, I can play dbl's but a bit sluggish in singles

20. FGmode

FGmode Regular Member

That's 10 am for both Tuesday and Wednesday