Need Racquet Recommendations

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Dan, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Dan

Dan Guest

I started playing badminton outdoors with a friend of mine several months ago. We play every week and use the Mavis 300 or 350 shuttle, I can't remember which one. I've been using a Yonex B550. I am a finesse player, with a lot of wrist action. I smash when needed, but I dink and direct the shuttle to beat my friend. There's so many racquets out there to choose from and I've read about them all, but it's hard to determine the best one for my style.

What's an intermediate level racquet for less than $125 that might help me get better and enjoy the game more? Looking for opinions.

P.S. This game is quite fun and the calories do get burned.

Thanks, Dan

2. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Mate, I presume that u are willing to spend $125 US. I think for the kind of wristy game that u have u could probably choose one of the Carlton rackets as they are very good if u are a decent wrist player.

Go ahead and have fun!

3. jim

jim Regular Member

How to train up your wrist?

Hi yogesh
    I find that when i do a clear or smash, the power is pretty weak, i can't get that explosive power that advanced players have.

i suspect the problem is my wrist. Do you know any way to strength your wrist? Can this be achieved by simply play more badminton or some weight training maybe ?

Thanks for your input.

4. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    Re: How to train up your wrist?

try putting on the cover on and just swinging the racket with your wrist for a while.

btw, i am talking abt the cover that only covers the head only.... like those they give free with cheap rackets =)

5. jim

jim Regular Member

Re: How to train up your wrist?

IRIS
    thanks for your suggestion, i will give it a try.

About clearing, would you clarify the correct way of arm/wrist movement in smashing/clearing for me?

this is what i understand about the arm/wrist movement, please tell me if i am wrong

1. holding the racket with V on the edge of the racket
    2. in preparation, the wrist bends up, palm faces inward, elbow up. racket head almost touching the back
    3. with shuttle at hitting point, turn shoulder, strike the racket at the shuttle "edge on", at the point of impact the wrist turns so the palm is now facing "outward" so it forces the racket face the shuttle "string on".

is my understanding of wrist movement in smashing/clearing correct ? "I think" i have done so but my clearing is still short...am i missing something or my wrist is really weak ?

Thanks for your advise, hopefully i can learn the secret about proper clearing soon!

6. Avatar

warming up with frame cover on racket head.

Iris, i used to warm up by putting the frame cover on the frame head too. it's a good idea but u have to be careful not to go too hard as it can put a lot of pressure on the T-joint. u don't want to break your racket.

7. jim

jim Regular Member

i think i got it figured out!

i had another practice session with my friend again tonight. i think i have found out why my clear was so weak.

there are two main reasons for this,

1. i didn't have enough wrist movement
    2. my wrist was indeed too weak.

i was playing with my carlton ab450, it's 95g and it is too heavy for my weak beginner's wrist, so in order to "move" the racket, i had to swing my arm extra hard and this results in limited wrist movement. My clear was pretty sad and i could only reach 3/4 of a court...

Tonight i had a chance to play with a Yonex Ti 5 light, it's a lot lighter so i was able to move my wrist more freely. When i was consciously swing the racket with my wrist when striking, i was finally able to clear from baseline to baseline!!!

i realise i need a stronger wrist in order to have a good smash, i am working on that. At least now i know what my problem was.

hope others find this info useful.

Cheers