Need help on footwork

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ahhs_1980, May 1, 2005.

1. ahhs_1980

ahhs_1980 Regular Member

Student
    Hi, i noticed that pros like Chen Hong, and Lin dan etc... move around the court very fast. then it hit me, i realized how important foot work was. in my opinion its the most important aspect of the game. they get the drops and hit the high clears with no problem.
    i have been practicing footwork for a while and was playing doubles but recently changed to singles. i discovered there was massive running in singles. i couldnt reach the drops that well, and clears were so weak when i was returning a baseline clear. im a freshman at my school. can anyone show me any techniques, drills, etc.. that can help me move around the court faster?

2. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    ur certainly right about footwork being the most important aspect in badminton. some basic points i can make is try taking larger steps or take a skip hop action. Skipping helps alot to build stamina and speed.

3. synkro

synkro Regular Member

The deciding factor in who wins a badminton game is basically who is faster. Train your speed through footwork drills, mix it up and always do it at ur full capacity.

Sets of 20 reps....20 second rest in between sets, and do this for 5 sets. Then move on to the next footwork drill, another 5 sets.
    You decide which steps you'll be performing.

Easy: Center to a corner and back = 1 rep
    Hard: Center to back corner, rush to front, rush back to center = 1 rep

This is also part of shadow badminton, to make sure to do the appropriate swings with full power. Each of these sets are suppose to simulate a rally.

4. ahhs_1980

ahhs_1980 Regular Member

Student
    wow great advice, i also would like to know if there is any non aerobic excercises like weight lifting i should do to help my speed?

5. RaymondLin

RaymondLin Regular Member

Student/Badminton Player
    I don't think weight training helps lol
    To me footwork is the most important thing in badminton. Without footwork you can't even get to the bird.
    You should just keep practicing your footwork everyday until you are familar with it and then add more speed to your footwork.
    Skipping also help!