Need help for a new racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Approachable, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Approachable

Approachable New Member

Hey guys, I started playing badminton 4 months back and now play almost 2 hours every other day with beginner-intermediate players. I mainly play doubles and in the back-court with some occasional singles.I would consider myself to be a beginner as I still make a lot of mistakes and need to improve my form and technique. I can generate decent power for my smash even though my form is not good. I'm planning to join badminton coaching classes this summer.

That said I'm planning to buy two new rackets a budget racket (below 50€) immediately and another one in two months as a gift for myself, both as a backup and a future upgrade. So far I've been using the Senston N80 strung initially at 24lbs and then at 26lbs (after the string broke, maybe because of a miss-hit?), and today I broke the racket during a clash. I liked this racket although it feels too light for me (at 78g) and I would like something that feels a bit more solid? From my initial look, it seems a good cheap option would be the Yonex Nanoflare DRIVE B/V (which I can buy in decathlon) for 30€. Is this a good choice or should I consider something else?

And for the second racket as an upgrade/backup let's consider there are no budget restrictions, which would be the best Yonex racket for my case? I guess I should be looking for a medium stiff shaft and a balanced or slightly head heavy racket? From what I've read these seem to be good candidates although I'm not sure. 1) 88D Pro 2) Arcsaber 11 3) Nano flare 700 ( I know it's HL but seems like it's very easy to play with for beginners?).

I'm currently in Spain and would be buying it online. Don't know of any physical store where I could try them. Thanks for any and all help :)

2. foodtruckfan

foodtruckfan New Member

I was in a similar situation/playing level to you. I'd suggest you buy an 88D Play for now to see if you like the head-heaviness. The 88D Pro is similar but much stiffer, I strongly suspect you wouldn't enjoy using it without more experience under your belt.

In a few months if you find yourself wanting to go back to an even-balanced racket, the Auraspeed 90S is a great high-budget racket that's good for newer players and also would not hinder you at all as you improve.

Approachable likes this.
  3. Approachable

Approachable New Member

Hey, thanks for replying. I took a look at the 88D Play but couldn't find any reviews for it. Also, the badminton racket selection in Spain seems to be very bad and the only online store where I could find the racket was https://www.directbadminton.co.uk/ in which I would have to pay 20€ for delivery and is currently out of stock. Meanwhile, when I was searching for this racket I found the Astrox 99 play for 65-70€ online and considering it has a medium stiff shaft is it worth considering as an alternative?

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

For now as you are new to this one, dont overcomplicated thing like racket spec.
    Believe me... Over time you will be more & more picky than now.
    Just get any racket with your budget range. Normally the cheap one are quite user friendly. For example Astrox DG series, Astrox Play/Games series.

In long run when you are getting better & found out your play style, you might want to consider getting another racket that support your style. So in mean time while improving yourself, borrow & try every racket your friend own. This will give you insight of what kind of racket you like so you are not confused the next time you want to invest an expensive racket.

5. Zalmon

Zalmon Regular Member

As a beginner focus on your technique looking for something with medium stiff/HH if you need extra power. Those stiffer shaft are pretty good when you are in control of the rally , but most of the time people are struggling because they arent in control of the rally. For example , you need to be able to play deep corners shot and backhand. Otherwise, the stiffer shaft are not very forgiving. 88d pro is a very incredible racket. Due to my shoulder injury, I have to change to NF700 also a magnificent racket if you dont care about durability. 88d has a lot more power , but NF700 is faster. The 88d pro is a lot better in power shot. However, NF700 gives me a lot of fun to play with. I feel a bit faster too since its HL. Only downsides of 700 are durability and power (but it has impressive repulsion). However, for a beginner without the correct technique, I wouldnt recommend a HL racket since you wont be able to generate much power and steepness out of it. You need to learn finger power and how to transfer power into shot then you will find yourself having fun with a HL racket.
    I had a nanoray900 back in the day , but I wasnt this good. Most of my smashes were flying flat.

Approachable likes this.
  6. Approachable

Approachable New Member

Thanks for the suggestion everyone. Ended up buying the Yonex Nanoflare DRIVE B/V for now as the main racket.

Regarding the upgrade/backup racket haven't made a decision yet but obviously have some time before I need to narrow down. Considering the Yonex Astrox 99 play, seems to be a decent step up and a good choice for beginners.

7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

no no...
    No racket are the best or step up or down from other racket. My best racket are always sledge hammer kind of racket as im back court offensive style player. Doesnt mean i cant play with other racket like headlight one. It just my style supported by my physical form works better with head heavy racket as it support my power when attacking from the back. But my close friend that grow with me, he goes to the path of patient. He is more on control rather than power & he likes racket that is opposite to me as it support his style.
    So takes your time to find & awaken your inner beast. Learn what kind of beast are in you & then find a suitable weapon for your beast.:D
    Last, dont get caught by marketing world nor by whos pro using what racket. Mind sometimes love to trick ourself. Forget the hype on 99 or 88 pro, its very tempting for sure but dont let your mind trick you. As mentioned use your time to try friend racket to get insight how it play.

Approachable likes this.