Need help deciding on Gamma XLT or X6FC/602FC + Wise 2086?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by asmd6230, Feb 24, 2021.

1. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

Have scoured threads here and on tennis forums looking to make some informed decision.
    Would really appreciate some input regarding both of these setups.

Im really keen on the Gamma XLT but its a all in one and cost about 800$ more than the other option.

X6FC/602FC are more modular and if and when if the tension head should crap out, seems easier to send for service.

I believe from reading posts here that the wise 2086 will directly fit onto the x6fx/602fc with he drop weight adapter plate.

Any thought between the X6FC and the 602FC. Do the clamps that come with it work with badminton rackets? there seems to be some confusion re supplied clamps.

Would love to hear from experience from x6fx/602 + wise 2086 owners... pros and cons.

Also what other bases are recommended to go with the wise 2086 tension head. Preferably available in the USA.

Appreciate any and all replies.

Regards.

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I'll limit my answer to this question since I don't know the XLT. I would always prefer the X6FC since it gives a lot more robust impression. The 602FC has that huge red plastic base plate which makes gets scratched easily and makes it seem super cheap.

Also, it should be easy to mount a WISE on both machines using an adapter plate. Personally, I'm a huge fan of a modular setup since you can change the components later on if you want to. The WISE is the industry standard and especially with the latest upgraded versions it's a dead solid solution for the money.

3. khoai

khoai Regular Member

On paper, X6FC seems better than 602FC but to be honest, it's really down to personal preference. I have X6FC + wise and they work well but the X6 has plastic cover on the 2 ends (with a drawer) and strings can easily be caught up in the gaps. I can see that's not an issue with 602FC.

The clamps came with my X6 are 5-tooth universal clamps. In general they work fine except space between teeth is a bit narrow for crosses and sometimes causes damage to the mains. You can either order badminton clamps (4 teeth, cheap $70 each) or universal 4-tooth clamps which are default on all high-end Gamma machines. I like badminton clamps a bit better because they are cheaper (of course) and also they have slim profile so you can easily use it near racket frame, e.g. last mains or last cross. Its design is not as modern as the universal clamps and seems to have a bit less holding power.

Now onto the wise head, it's a fine piece of equipment but if you want speed, it's not a fast puller especially with pre-stretch on. But you don't need to worry about it until you get down to 20 mins per string job. By then, you'll probably want to sell and get a new machine already. On the other hand, XLT doesn't mention anything about quick closing or speed so it's not necessarily better.

Imho, if you are first time buyer, just go with the cheaper option with wise head. Think about yourself right now, it's a lot easier to find somebody like you to sell and upgrade later.

4. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

Thanks for you replies... i just realised how BIG the Gamma XLT is. Not quite the portable table top i was looking for. I dont have a dedicated spot for it, so it has to be easily moved.

Have decided on the wise 2086 and the gamma base.

But for what im spending, the difference does buy me a whole lot more machine in the XLT. Practically speaking, they are going to do the exact same thing except in a more compact form factor.

TQ.

5. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

For those who are also looking at the same things i am, here some pics to help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. khoai

khoai Regular Member

7. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

Thanks for the reply.

ah, ok. so ill need two of those to replace the ones on the 602fc.

i currently use these plastic load spreaders...
    https://mybadmintonstore.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=492

will they work just as well on the 602fc?

Optional items i need to acquire so far are
    1 - gamma badminton fixed clamps.
    2 - gamma badminton load spreader.

also, what about these.. https://www.opentip.com/Gamma-Badmi...t-Adaptors-p-7719861.html?ats=product_landing

V shoulder supports.

TQ for y'alls time, wisdom and replies.

8. khoai

khoai Regular Member

You only need one load spreader at the top. Of course plastic one works but it breaks very often and much bulkier. If you encounter those rackets with the last cross very close to the top, e.g. JS10, you'll understand the usefulness of the Gamma one. See it in action here:

https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...-spreader-question.167581/page-2#post-2508784

Badminton shoulder sleeves should come with the machine, no need to buy them separately.

9. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

Got it.
    Thank you for the link.
    Pictures paint a thousand words.

will invest in the gamma load spreaders. GAM-MBFS11 for the 602FC.

what im not entirely clear about is as to why only one is needed at the top? Wouldn't one at the bottom also more securely hold the bottom part of the racket?

Currently i dont clamp the rackets i string at the throat as the load spreader and side supports adequately hold it in place. but of course, different machines means having to learn the machine.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    both type of 6/12 o'clock supports will hold the racket securely as long as you have side supports to secure it. If you don't use side supports, then this type of support is not appropriate. you need hold/clamp down type support instead.

the racket frame is hollow and is particularly thin at the top. so the 3+ prong support is absolutely necessary to avoid damaging the racket frame.

the racket frame is bulky and solid at the t-junction so a 3 prong support is not absolutely necessary (but will still be nice to have).

I have been using the gamma 3 prong support at 12 oclock for years and it is totally nice. thin profile, strong and never damaged any rackets.

khoai likes this.
  11. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

already ordered MBFS11 frame support x 2 from open tip and badminton clamps as suggested from tennis machine pros.

looking forward to receiving everything next week.

Does anybody know wrt to height of wise 2086 and 602fc stringing plane? do i need the optional height adjuster plate sold by wise to bring it up to the same plane?? do i lose 360 rotation... bit unsure of this.

12. khoai

khoai Regular Member

Just get the drop weight adapter together with the wise head and you are good to go. 360 will be there. Don't worry to much, gamma 602/x-fc + wise is one of the most popular combos. Lots of ppl have it.

13. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

Ok, so everything except for the badminton specific clamps have come in and ive put it all together and im at a bit of a loss...
    With the badmiton shoulder adaptors on with the gamma load spreaders, nothing sits right.
    Is there something im missing?

See pics below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The racket doesnt sit flat against he load spreader. And if does, then it wont sit right in the shoulder supports.

Whats the solution to this?

Attached Files:

14. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

looks like this may have something to do with it...

i got the mbfs 11 as suggested, which as it turns out does not fit.
    will return those, but more to the point which one is the right one that fits mine?

MBFS 14?

Attached Files:

15. khoai

khoai Regular Member

#15 khoai, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  16. khoai

khoai Regular Member

I got MBFS14 but my machine is X6FC and it's listed in the manual. Not sure if it fits your 602FC. Best to check with Gamma first. I called them before getting that and they referred me to opentip.com.

17. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

@khoai , no worries, it happens. :)

spoke to Gamma, and they said i need the mbfs 14.
    the 11's are going back to open tip.

also, one more question. is it possible to have a fixed clamp that keeps its height when locked?
    instead of it always wanting to fall back down?

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

No machine I know of has this as a function - you want to be able to unlock the base by dropping the clamp into it - but you can fudge it by putting springs under the clamp heads. My first machine had them so the clamps wouldn't cause damage if dropped into the bases.

You could stretch the springs to get the clamp heads to the height of the string bed, but you'd have to actively push the clamps down to be able to move them around.

19. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

Ah, ok.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Was thinking in a situation where having the clamp hold its height when clamped (to string) using it as a starting clamp at string bed height instead of it wanting to drop down.

Am thinking a rather large nylon C clip inserted between clamp shaft and base would sort this out. (3D print?)

Anybody else thought about this that way i have?

Ideally, id rather the clamp just hold its height when clamped to string where the string clamp lever locks to string and also locks the shaft height.

20. khoai

khoai Regular Member

If it's just for starting main, you should see how it's done here by Kakinami at 4:45. You should watch the whole video anyway, it's a classic with a lot of good tips. As soon as there's some tension on the clamp, it won't drop down.

If you don't pre-weave, you can follow what Kwun does by double pull first.

kwun and s_mair like this.