Need help chosing a racket, thinking about either 88d, 99 or 100zz.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Maratox, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Maratox

Maratox New Member

Hey,

Currently im using the astrox 88s 4U, which feels quite nice, the only think it lacks is a bit of power, it feels quite weightless. The obvious alternative would be the 88d, however the 99 is really similair, so is the 100zz. Finding the differences between these is quite hard in my opinion. What im looking for is a slightly heavier, and head heavier 88s which will help me with power. However im not too experienced so also need something that i can actually use.

I mainly play singles, however it would be nice to also be usable for doubles.

Thanks for your help in advance,
    Maratox.

2. marios

marios New Member

100zz is not simliar to 88d or 99. If you want racket with high speed and recovery and solid smash, 100zz would be good choice. But for much harder smashes, 88d or 99 is the way to go. On the other hand 100zz is so much faster on the net, faster reactions on drives. So it depend how you play. For me, 100zz is better racket if you smash fast, and 88d or 99 is better for people who has slower swings and need more head heavy racket. It is litle bit smaller difference if you chose 100zz 3u and 88d 4u.
    Overal, it would be smaller gap between 88s and 100zz than 88s and 88d or 99.

3. Maratox

Maratox New Member

I like some good control at the net, for the rest i play a fair bit of drops. For both of these the 88s is a good choice. The issue comes when i want to smash. That's the gap I'm trying to fill.

4. Maratox

Maratox New Member

If you have a totally different racket recommendation thats fine too btw.

5. MoonJogger

MoonJogger Regular Member

If you like the 88s, then get the 3U 88s.

Sent from my SM-A750GN using Tapatalk

6. fufu27

fufu27 Regular Member

I
    I use 88s 3u and 88d 4u. With bg65ti 30lbs. They're awesome. For me, 88s 3u have good smashes if we have strong wrist after 88d 4u. More sharped angle smashes with 88s 3u. I'd try 88d 3u, but I dont like it cz too heavy for my arm when I use it on long rally game. So I decided use 88d 4u when I'm tired.

7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

what do you mean not to experienced? Your skill or your knowledge about racket?

If its skill, well all 3 are bad for beginner especially 100ZZ. But as you like 88S, maybe i can guest its the 2nd one.

Latest 88D & 99 are close each other spec wise but 99 are full Namd thus it carry more shuttle hold than 88D. Many say 100ZZ stand between 88D & S but its the stiffest of all 3 which im not sure if it would suit you.

As other say, how about 88S 3U.

8. badmintonpog1

badmintonpog1 Regular Member

Wannabe
    99 and 100ZZ have what is called a full NAMD frame. If you get one of the two know that it feels weird from your usual 88s. It's like an even-balanced feel on a head-heavy racket.

9. Maratox

Maratox New Member

With not too experienced i mean that im not actually good, im one of the better players in my team but i dont play nation wide or something like that. I do take part in tournaments and such, but the lower end, regional ones.

I have definitely thought about the 88s u3, but the 5mm annoy me, i dont know why but its just something in the back of my head.

10. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

I had the same problem with the Nanoflare 800 3U. I normally play with head heavy rackets, but wanted to try the NF800. It was fast, had good defense, but lacked power. I really needed to put in more effort and use much more wrist/pronation. I simply put a bit of lead tape on 12 and 6 o'clock. I now have more and easy power, but it is still fast.

I would recommend using a bit of lead tape. You can experiment placing it at 10 and 2 o'clock, maybe also on 6 o'clock. Or at 3 and 9 o'clock. Don't put too much in the beginning.

11. MoonJogger

Just like Dekkert said. You can always put a lead tape on your 88s 4u.

I used to use yonex power balance sticker to add weight on the racket head, now I just use any stickers lying arounds, they help to prevent paint chip also.

12. Budi

Budi Regular Member

wouldnt it become messy with all its sticky glue left when you peel it off?
    I use Victor Lead tape & its much easier to clean.

13. MoonJogger

No, i never peel them.

14. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

badmintonpog1 likes this.
  15. gneken

gneken Regular Member

I’ve seen many shops in UK with that price on 88D/S today , any special sale? Or is it better to wait for Black Friday ?

16. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I think Central Sports offered that price first but others changed their prices to match.

Club Rackets is a small shop that I have used a few times, I would rather buy from them than larger stores like Direct Sports or Central Sports if they can offer the same deals.

17. gneken

gneken Regular Member

Oh I see, their shipping to Sweden was ~70£ so it isn’t worth for me when competitors are shipping for ~15£.

But do you think the price can be even lower on BF? Or is 99£ the real deal :)

18. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I think £99 is as low as it will go for 88D/S

gneken likes this.
  19. slair76116

slair76116 Regular Member

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    I have the 88D and the 100ZZ I find the 88D to be the easier racket to handle. More Power and the head feels bigger sweet spot larger.

I dont like the 100zz handler it feels longer than it needs to be and puts me off and grip transitions are harder. I can go back from a serve to a smash. But I cant move forward on the grip. The handle is longer. For me its hard to get used to.

20. birdhunter

birdhunter Regular Member

Student
    Hi All, basically now i have armotec 900 def and astrox 100zz. i been trying the 100zz but still not feel heavy head like armotec 900 cause lack of smash power for doubles. any recommendation same like armotec 900 def? need your opinion! cheers!