Need for tactics

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Ketan Patil, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Ketan Patil

Ketan Patil Regular Member

I seem to have a 50-50 win ratio with a very good Badminton player.
    I know that I have the potential to beat him everytime :)but he gets the match die to his deception:(. He uses deception almost everytime I hit the birdie back.
    Please someone tell me what should I do to improve my performance against such players.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Move faster to the shuttle

ucantseeme likes this.
  3. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

There is a footwork drill where two players stand at the same side of the net. One stands by the net and points to a corner and the other (working) player has to move there and mimic a shot. It's quite standard.
    The pointing player can try to decieve the working player (make it look as if he's pointing to corner A but in the last second switch to corner B). This forces you to practice changing directions. It might feel awkward at first but you will improve at it and it's a very common and effective drill to make yourself less vunerable to deceptions

Ketan Patil likes this.
  4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

50:50 mean when you are in luck for being able to move in the right location & not getting tricked. The other 50 is when you are tricked i guest.

Deception can only be done when one can get the shuttle early. Unless you give your opponent easy bird most of the times or your opponent is twice faster than you, its not easy to always doing deceptive shot.

Or you are to much predict & guesing your opponent movement. The best way to handle trickster is to not predict their next movement but to normalize your formation faster. Normalize i mean a position where its the most neutral area, where you & your partner (if double) can cover bigger area & be ready for any shot your opponent might be played. Why? When you think something, your body unconciously sync with your mind & move to what your brain think & theres the weakness. You move to early, your opponent see it, then change their shot, & you getting out of position.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

50:50 win ratio does not mean 50:50 moving in right direction

Ketan Patil likes this.
  6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

no, it just my random guesing that come out of my mind. :D.
    Maybe 50:50 coz its 50:50 that his prediction is correct or wrong.

7. Ketan Patil

He seems to be able to use it even when he is late to the shuttle.
    Not too much late.

8. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I have a friend, he have a very good wrist & strong arm. His play style when i play agains me few time is deception shot. But he is a coach, so it wouldnt be much surprise. His stroke is consist of swing, stop, & hit. Basically his hitting only with arm power & simple snap back movement. He stop his racket as its about to hit the shuttle, see how his opponent react & hit with just little snap in very short range but powerfull enough to reach clear back to back line. You wouldnt know what shot he play until he hit it.

But maybe your friend is more simple than that. I guest its not actually deception as it might be just good wrist & placement play. & my guest its just you over thinking about opponent next movement.

Simple trick that i do agains beginner & work most of the time. When i return a serve, my hand throw it to the front right corner but im moving myself to the left leaving the shuttle on the right (i know its bad, it just for fun with beginner). Many2 times even when i repeat those same trick, they will follow me to the left. Their focus is on me & not the shuttle. They unconciously mimic my movement thinking im throwing it to the left.

So, try to not predict his movement but get back to neutral position faster & be ready to get any shot that are coming.

Ketan Patil likes this.
  9. Ketan Patil

Thanks for the reply.
    I too use deception at times but I can't reach the shuttle in time sometimes.
    Could this be enough or should I do something more?

10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think that you should improve on your timing and anticipation/reading skills beside beeing faster. Deceptions get their immense power from opponents who move because of the "informations" the opponent give them and not from the shuttle. Waiting of a few milliseconds can help beside beeing faster. Some people also have habits/pattern with their deceptions. Try and learn to read them.

I think you want to beat your friend more often. This involves where do you make it hard for him and can you implement it a bit better in your game? What is the sequence of the last 3 shots, which make him to win the point? A 50:50 ratio can mean tight games. Any pattern and built up can mean up to around 3 points for you in each set, which can have a huge impact to make the 50:50 a 55:45 or 60:40. IMO you shouldn't be too related to your friend. Also what helps to pause 3-4 weeks to play him and play others. This can give you some creativity to structure the game against him different. Especially people who know them too good will stuck in the same habits to play each other. I think that his deceptions are just 10% which hold you back to beat him more often.

11. Ketan Patil

Thank you for the reply.
    Do you mean that I should wait until he is done with his deception?

12. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Yes and no!! U will have to read his style and play accordingly. Remember Opponent plays a deception because u give the opportunity to do so. Small example wherein u can play his deception is like- be ready to move quickly to your right while pose to opponent that u will be towards ur left, this should be a one movement altogether. With your movement the opponent will assume that ur going to move to left and he might put the shuttle in right. Now ur movement will be towards right so u could play the shots. This is one type by which u could undo this deception shot. But if u fail with your foot work or if u look so obvious or if ur too slow then opponent can read u and make fool of that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ketan Patil likes this.
  13. Ketan Patil

Thanks for the answer!

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Excellent summary in this video

speCulatius and Ketan Patil like this.
  15. Ketan Patil