Need clarification on the legality of a serve

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by krishv88, Mar 12, 2017.

1. krishv88

krishv88 New Member

Hi guys,

While serving, sometimes I serve from the right side corner of my short service line to the receiver's left side corner of the long service line. While doing that, the shuttle will fly over the receiver's partner's court area but lands where I expect it to be. Is this serve legal? Yesterday one the guy with whom I was playing against started telling me that this is not legal. I couldn't find anything mentioned about the shuttle crossing over the
    non-receiver's court. I have attached a picture so that you can understand I am saying.

Please help me out in this

upload_2017-3-13_15-25-40.png

Attached Files:

2. iAsianGuy

iAsianGuy Regular Member

Technically this is legal. I don't know why'd you do this.

krishv88 likes this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes. It is definitely legal.

To disturb the opponent's mental state with a novel serve. It can be quite hard to return.

Saru and krishv88 like this.
  4. phihag

phihag Regular Member

In these cases, I've found that the tried and true method is to hand the guy a copy of the laws and ask them which law he is citing. The German rules used to come in an excellent DIN A 6 booklet which fits into every sportsbag. An alternative is of course a smartphone or tablet.

Diagram A in the laws corresponds to the diagram you have added here. In both it is quite obvious that there is an undivided service court, opposite the receiver's court.

Saru, krishv88 and Cheung like this.
  5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Yup, it is is perfectly legal.

And presumably the reason you use this serve is best reason: Because it works on this opponent. :)
    At everyday-mortal level so many things can work: unorthodox serves; trickshots; and my favourite, the winning clear.

krishv88 likes this.
  6. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

The serve is legal. The only reasons where this would be illegal is if you're stepping on the singles sideline to serve in singles. However, you may step on the singles sideline to serve in doubles, because in that case, the singles sideline basically ceases to exist since it is not part of the boundary of the court in doubles.

Saru, Cheung and krishv88 like this.
  7. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    It's legal and probably he was complaining because you were winning points with the serve ;). I see this serve a lot at league and social level, you can win easy points against weak opponents who don't know how to return it effectively.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    When dealing with the insane, the best method is to pretend to be sane.

Cheung likes this.
  8. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Regular Member

Assuming that the red line is the path of the shuttle looking directly from above so that the upward path is not seen in the 2d picture, and that your feet were within your service court.

Consider the following relevant section of Law 9 -

9.1.9 the flight of the shuttle shall be upwards from the server’s racket to pass over the net so that, if not intercepted, it shall land in the receiver’s service court (i.e. on or within the boundary lines); and ...​

Remember, the net is the section between the posts that are placed on the outside tram-lines.

Since your service was delivered while you were within the boundaries of your service court, nothing wrong there. Unlike sovereign countries of PM residences all over the democratic world, there is no protected air-space on a badminton court to violate during the delivery of a serve, as your opponent believes. The shuttle must pass over the net. (A few years ago, shuttle could be hit around the post into opponent court, like they still do in tennis with the ball, but this is now illegal.)

Watch doubles elite-level videos, you will see that the server's feet are properly placed, but during the serve, the shuttle could start its service-flight from the server-partner's court, or, even from within the short service region. Remember, the law does not specify where the server's racket should be.

#8 juneau-AK, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  9. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Regular Member

When everything else is equal, a player will try and find something, anything, that would provide even the slightest tactical edge.

As shown in the picture, the server is attempting to find the back corner of the receiver, who is most likely right-handed; this would not be effective service to a south-paw. Giving another angle for opponent to work with, the server is aiming to capitalise on the 3rd shot to finish the rally.

#9 juneau-AK, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    So, how did your opponent react when asked to state which rule he was referring to? :)

11. krishv88

krishv88 New Member

No words from his mouth

12. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

not unlike words from your keyboard, after a-l-m-o-s-t two years <grin grin>

13. krishv88

krishv88 New Member

Yeah that’s right. I met with an accident and returned to thinking about and playing badminton a couple of weeks ago....

14. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Thanks for clarification. Enjoy your times on courts, badminton needs people like you!

15. migueluski

migueluski Regular Member

Legal (word from referee). But better oponenents will take advantage of your serve position v easily.