National Sports

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by paul, Mar 6, 2002.

1. paul

paul Regular Member

manager of sporting goods company
    Does anyone know if Badminton is the national sport of Indonesia and a source where this can be verified.

2. Jan

Jan Guest

what's a national sport?

The biggest? The one with the most traditions? One which origins in the country? or the one that the country does best in?

3. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    i am an indonesian and i can say that in indonesia, badminton is a very popular sport there...

it is relatively cheap..

badminton is first. soccer comes next

4. Dan

Dan Guest

I think most countries have an official national sport, like a national anthem or flower.

It's not always the most popular or the one they're best at, just the one that is most closely associated in some way with the country.

Look at Britain, cricket is our national sport, even though there are far more popular sports like football or rugby. Actually, in terms of registered club players, badminton is the most popular sport here.

5. Dave G

Dave G Guest

I disagree that Cricket is the British national sport. I would think that if you ask 90% of the British population they will say that Football is our national sport. Just because cricket is seen as a traditional 'English' game doesn't mean it is our national sport. Generally, the national sport is the most popular sport with 'the people' of the country concerned.

Sorry this has nothing really to do with badminton, but I just wanted to give my opinion.

6. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Does the term "official national sport" really exist? I always thought that "national sport" was an informal term that was used for many of a country's most popular sports...

7. Iwan

Iwan Guest

well I can tell you that badminton is the only sport the Indonesian is capable of winning a gold medal in the olympics, as for now at least. So yeah, I'd think that it is the national sport of Indonesia, though boxing gets life coverage EVERY NIGHT!!! (Indonesian boxers ofcourse... fighting against Korean boxers or other asian boxers etc.)

International Boxing every Sunday and they even preview Ultimate Fighting Championship on Sunday night.... hahaha :) Oh, well even Soccer gets more life covering even though its only the nationals soccer game...

However... you don't get any tv broadcast on badminton matches unless its an international game... Hard to say what is the national game really...

8. Phil

Phil Guest

Canada's national sport

Canada's national sport is Lacrosse! I was surprised when I heard this the first time, I figured it would be hockey or something more associated with being Canadian! I've never even played Lacrosse!

Phil

9. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Half right

Phil, Cooler and I already discussed this - lacrosse is Canada's national summer sport. Hockey is its national winter sport.

10. May

May Guest

When I become President, i'll do everything in my power to make sure that the national sport(s) of my country will be Sleeping and/or Eating.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that's because you want your subordinates obtuse and obese so you can remain in power. Thanks god u won't be bringing back the strap feet policy.