NanoSpeed 8000 Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by cooler, Jan 20, 2005.

1. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    Or... is it sour grapes??

2. Arcos

Arcos Regular Member

ever thought that Yonex made them use Nano rackets to promote their latest range of racket?

generally it will make people think "Wow so many pros are using it, it must be better then <insert racket model>" :D

3. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    That's how racquets are advertised :D

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Of course they are not. They are sponsored to hold them. A few of the players may even prefer the NS rackets, and continue to play with them. But most of them will return to their previous rackets.

I'm sure the NS rackets are good. But you can sell a good product more effectively with good marketing (also known as good lying).

If you re-read my post, you will realise that I do not imply that anyone who buys a NS racket is a gullible fool. Just quite a lot of them are :D

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Actually i disagree that good marketing is ( good lying ) per se. Good lying is telling or informing the customer something more than what the real product can deliver. If they buy the lie , then they are called gullible.
    Marketing is all about teaching, transfering knowledge to consumers about benefits of a certain product. Its how the consumer feel and attracted to the product only will make them buy it.
    Showing the pros using the rackets are known as advertising,endorsing or product awareness. Not nessesary marketing per se.

6. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    :D Well... Even though I may be subject to a possibility of being a fool, I still maintain that I really like the power of Nanospeed 8000, much much better than the Nanospeed 7000.

And... well... may be I was a bit fooled to purchase, and only after that then I realized that it is really a masterpiece!

Thanks.

7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I like you comments on marketing vs lying. I just want to add a little more of my thoughts. Marketing is to tell you what a item can do in certain situations. They do not have to tell you what it can do in every situation. And often time marketing people will tell you their product can do at the best situation. Never the less, it is "A" truth even it is not the whole truth. Also a company can get in legal trouble if they tell you something more than a product can ever delivered. In that case it become a lie.
    NS8000 can do many things. (I am still trying to convert my old still frame racquet with piano wire into a BBQ grill) However, can it make me play better? Maybe. Marketing is to deliever the the idea that I should try it because of that "maybe". Did YY lie to me? No, they only deliever the info they want to let me know. It is the buyer need to make the decision that they need it or not base on the avilible info out there.
    I think showing a pro use it is a part of marketing scheme. Or they would not expense it under marketing budget (I am guessing).

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    gollum, i think you're more than 75% wrong on this one. Marketing does serve some useful purposes, to inform, to demonstrate and upheld a company image. Nike, titliest, sony, toyota, and even gov't and charity organization does marketing too. Good marketing also promote its market sector itself, like badminton to the general public. The recipient role is to be educated so he/she doesnt get misinformed by ANY companies. Do u agree that knowledge is a way to avoid bad information and advertising?

Yonex's new technology is usually backed by statistical or photograph illustration. Since fakes and most clones dont do marketing, are they better because of that? If u fully understood what went into NS8000, u prolly appreciate the reason why ns8000 is so high up in the chart. Of course, it doesn't mean ns8000 work great for every player but dont diss something just because it cost more and/or that a product level is different catergory than what u perceive to be.

#208 cooler, May 9, 2005
    Last edited: May 9, 2005
  9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

On the BF Official Chart of Wrongness, does that place me above or below you? ;)

Clearly marketing is not (only) lying; that was a flippant comment, and I thought you might spot it as such. Marketing does, however, involve manipulating people's attitudes. Sometimes they are manipulated in a purely informative way, and sometimes misleading gloss is applied too.

I expect that the Ns8000 is an excellent racket. I think is foolish, however, to swallow all of Yonex's marketing and rush out to buy the racket.

When you choose a racket, don't just look at the official chart for your decision. Try it out, and see how it feels. If that's how someone chooses his Ns8000, then he has a good reason.

If he just buys it because it's Yonex's latest, and because they put it at the top of their chart, then he is a gullible fool. I'm sorry if you don't like the sound of that, but I believe it's true.

#209 Gollum, May 9, 2005
    Last edited: May 9, 2005
  10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Gollum, By looking at your Nick-name here I'm inclined to put you well below on most charts ;-D

I would say.. If you are smart just skip the charts!! Try it out.. If it feels good it is good.. Doesn't matter if Lin dan likes it or not.. It's you that is going to play with it not Lin Dan ;-)

I don't agree.. I buy rackets just becuase it's Yonex latest.. Simply to try them out (I can afford it ;-) ). Doesn't mean I am gullable believing it's better because just because it's the "latest" (I didn't like the NS7000 so I sold that off, But I love the NS8000 ;-).
    Btw I buy most high-end rackets from other vendors as well, just to try out for fun ;-) (Still hoping to find that perfect racket that never misses a shot, and puts every smash to the floor ;-) )

/Twobeer

11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Just a joke on the followup. For the girls who are dating right now, make sure you try out the guys to see if he measure up. Some people are not as crack up to be. Make sure you get to try out a racquet before you buy one. However, you can always get a devorce if the other does not perform up to par. Just like you can go out and buy another yy or something else. All together, you can change to tennis like a switch batter...:D Kwun, you can delete this one after you read it.

12. roby2003

roby2003 Regular Member

NS8000 review

Specs:
    Racquet : NS8000 3UG4 US version, no overgrip.
    String: BG68Ti @ 24 lbs.
    Shuttle used: Nylon Mavis 300, Feather (speed 77).

Borrowed one to try out for club’s Mixed Doubles tournament. Initial impression….

Control:
    Excellent control. Net play was superb. However, I think the string tension was a bit high for my taste. A few net play turned into net kills for the opponents. Need adjustment there.

Offense:
    Great racquet to generate smashes. Few smashes ended up in the net due to poor timing. This is acceptable to me as I know beforehand it will happen when I switched from MP 99 to NS8000.

Defense:
    Excellent racquet for defense in doubles.

Cosmetic:
    The colour system is better than NS7000 no doubt. I question the durability of the racquet since the frame is of slim design. New grip design looks good.

Conclusion:
    As primarily a Doubles player, I recommend this racquet. Overall, a good performer.
    My personal ranking of these 3 racquets in comparison (NS8k, NS7k & MP99):
    Power: MP99, NS8k, NS7k
    Control: NS8k, NS7k, MP99
    Durability (?): MP99, NS7k, NS8k.

Current indicative market prices of these 3 (string inclusive) :
    MP 99 = C$235
    NS8k = C$280
    NS7k = C$260

For the small price difference of the NS series, I’d settle for NS8k. In some respect, NS8k is quite similar to MP99 (3Us).
    Would I buy this racquet ? Yes.
    Would I pay Cad$280 for this ? Yes, because of my style of playing.
    Anyone interested in getting this racquet should check out alternate source eg. SP, TH, TW version.
    Final word – TEST THE RACQUET FIRST. C$280 is a lot of money to spend on 1 racquet.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i havent finish testing the NS series yet but those would be my initial comments too, with similar control and power rankings. Dunno why yonex went with slim design for the ns8000 but surely for reason as they should remember the slim10 weakness. (ns8000 is slimmer but not as slim as slim10).

Pics posted so far in sudiman pic thread (by Ants):

NS8000 user: bao lai, Ra, chen hong
    NS7000 user: Gao ling, Mette SCHJOLDAGER, Mia Audina

14. roby2003

roby2003 Regular Member

The slim design is a sore point for me. Most of my partners racquets are Ti10, AT800 and CABs. Since I play doubles mainly, I doubt NS8k will survive a clash with either one of those.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

your crude ns8000 perception was based on slim10.
    however, my crude stress test says otherwise :)

16. adidas_lee

adidas_lee Regular Member

Regional sales manager
    Ns8k

Hi,
    What do u mean for durability, u rank NS8k as 3rd? How do u compare n rank them?
    Thanks
    Lee

17. powerball

powerball Regular Member

im buying 2 nanospeed 8000 tomorrow and deciding on the strings

i was thinking to get BG65ti strings mainly for smashing is that good + durable

how many lb should i string it? I've used 18 to 22lb in the past and 22 was alright. How would 24lb compare to 22?

thanks guys:eek:

18. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    Well... since the rackets are new, it is better to stick to the recommended tension limit for the time being... 24LBS X 24LBS should be more than sufficient for you to have a good smash...

I found that using 0.66 seems to generate more power when smashing... but... you may break your strings too often. :D

Thanks.

19. powerball

powerball Regular Member

so you saying bg66 is better for smashing because it's thin .66?

iread this chart http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7206&stc=1 don't see bg66 on there

but do you think bg66, bg65ti, bg80 which one is better for smashing? bg66? bg65ti too thick?

the bg68ti is the default string the racket comes with at the place i'm buying
    on the chart it shows bg68ti to have good repulsion but more for control play rather than hard hitter

ok this is so hard to decide

I've only used bg65(no power) bg80(pretty good smash) and bg85(not bad) strings

#219 powerball, May 15, 2005
    Last edited: May 15, 2005
  20. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    That chart is definitly wrong.
    BG68ti should be WAAAAY on top of BG65 in my opinion. I don't know why BG85 is all the way down there.

And yes, BG66 is one of the most repulsive strings in yonex. I would prefer BG66 or BG85 for smashing. BG68ti is too...thick-ish