NanoSpeed 7000 Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Oct 22, 2004.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    After long vacation and work overseas.. my badminton skills has been rusty lately. Been almost not playing for a month! Furthermore reading all the Bcfers gathering info and Fun Games during the Spore open weekend added to this misery of mine! My body aching all over after few hard doubles games yesterday Barely can lift my legs and arms now. Anyway I still did not miss doing my testing and review on the NS7000.. this will be the impression #2.

I played a 2 games using my AT800 DF for warm-up purposes before doing the review. Reason is due to not playing for a long time , i need to find my timing and shots back. Rested for 30mins after using AT800 DF.
    It is not worth reviewing the NS7000 straight away after a long break. The feel will be different ( if you know what i mean ).

Compare to initial impression done with original grip, this time i decided to put on the towel grip over wood. Not wasted on tearing off the original grip since the racket is sent to me. Previously was tested on BG65P. But this time was done using Gosen Pro66 ( My fav string so far ) 28lbs Cross and 26lbs Main.

Initial drives during pre-game warm up is good. Trying still to find my timing from this NS7000. Hits are much more solid than the first impression
    ( probably because i use towel grip ). But i feel much more power added to it. In terms of vibration , it is much lesser. There are few times i deliberately try to mis hit the shuttle with the frame , did still feel the vibration , but not as much compare to AT800DF.
    Power wise is good suprisingly much better compare with the first time i use this racket, but for more power , you may just have to swing the racket faster. Maybe its due to head light racket. In terms of controlling the shots , i think this is the best racket. Shots are easier to control and accuracy in placing your shuttles is much better. Defence is ok , but i find it harder to respond compare to At800DF.

Overall this racket is good , i will probably rate it 7-10. Its more for control and stroke/rally game.
    I most probably would wait for the next NanoSpeed Series. A slightly head heavy racket will be much better. With the Nano Materials , my prediction for the next NanoSpeed racket will be more powerful than this one.

Verdict : I think this is the beginning of the NanoRevolution. The future for Yonex badminton rackets start from the NS series. Even though there is few competitors that come out with their Nanotech series. I think Yonex will have an edge due to their research and development. With Yonex , you will only get the best.

You will never know ... there may be a ATNS Series. Hmmm if rearrange the letters ANTS ( ArmorNanoTech Series ).. hmm what a coincidence. :)

#21 ants, Nov 23, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  2. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    AHAHH we never know... That would be awesome though^^

3. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    puzzled

I am a bit puzzled by the NS7000..

The whole point of having carbon Nanotubes is to get more rigidity with the same weight for more "stiffness" and thus power..

Yonex isn't really leading the way here.. Many Tennis-rackets are already using nano-tubes, Wilson (have a whole nano-series), babolat etc.

My personal belief is that badminton manufacturer research to little in the sports of badminton, and just implements technolgy used in their, or their competitors, golf and tennis productlines :-(

I do not think rigidity necceraily benefits badminton racket-technology in any way close to what this does for "heavy-ball" sports like Tennis, where the weight/rigidity ratio is far more important, due to the (compared to badminton) really heavy ball.

Personally the only reason for me to choose a badminton-racket with nanotubes was if I could distinctly feel it was generating more power with less effort, otherwise I think it's just a waste. I don't think it will help control more than metal inserts in the frame etc..

I will probably buy an NS7000 (I tend to buy all new racket technology just out of bad habit :p ) to give it a go. But a very stiff headlight racket, doesn't give me a very good vibes either for singles nor doubles..

I am also puzzled why Yonex hasn't clearly labeld it as a singles or doubles raquet as they have done with the ATS, MPs etc (or have they made that on some specs??).. To me it seems like thay are just "testing the waters" with this raquet..

My 2 cents,
    Twobeer

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Nod. Wilson usually leads in implementing latest carbon fiber technology for sport racquet.

You said I am also puzzled why Yonex hasn't clearly labeld it as a singles or doubles raquet as they have done with the ATS, MPs etc (or have they made that on some specs??).. To me it seems like thay are just "testing the waters" with this raquet... You are warm. ;)

#24 cooler, Nov 23, 2004
  5. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    To maximize the sales I would:

1 Get everyone buy a NS7000.
    than 2 Issue NS9000HH(head heavy)
    than 3 Issue NS8000HLOF + NS8000HLDE + NS8000HHOF +NS8000HHDF
    than 4 Issue NS10,000LTD
    than 5 Issue NS5000CHEAP, NS3000CHEAPER
    than 6 Issue NS1000CHEAPEST

6. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Don't forget to release the models at the Japan open with Lin Dan using the NS9000 and Cai and Fu using the NS8000s (with new models of strings)!

7. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Yeh. I forgot. But in truth, indeed I really really need almost everyone really indeed gets an NS7000(better one SP/UK with one extra CP) in their bags first before announcing those news. Indeed NS9000, 8000s, and 10000 have been sleeping very comfortably in the godown for quite a while.

I might consider issuing new strings if my competitors start selling Nano strings(or I will buy from them to package them to you.).

Good points. Thanks.

#27 redkingjoe, Nov 23, 2004
  8. ants

ants Regular Member

I do agree with you on that statement that little research done on badminton racket for nanotech. , it may be true that they are testing water. Some may buy for the sake of bad habit ( i'm guilty here as well ). For me , personally given the cash to choose between NS7000 and AT800 , i would settle for AT800. Or i will just wait for the next release.

9. Swingman

Swingman Regular Member

Ants,

Thanks for your first hand review.

BTW, Is it more flexible than AT800DF/MP99?

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    What is missing is Nano string to go with NanoSpeed 7000. :D

11. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Also nano grips as well :p

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

not nano price though :(

13. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    No. Nano means very very very small and tiny. Nanoprice=small price.:D

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

To be precise: "nano" means 10^(-9).

(milli, micro, nano, pico....)

So "Nanospeed" effectively means "very, very, very slow". Great name for a racket :rolleyes:

15. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, Yonex probably didn't think about the naming..... :rolleyes:
    It's about time for Yonex to hire someone who is good at English...... :p

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Nope , its little stiffer than Mp99. Around the same stiff as At800Df.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If Nano means small, what is good about it is you can make things really small that you could not make before. Areas that can benefit include micro surgery, micro robots to go inside your body, etc. But can someone please explain how, by being extremely small, Nono can help a badminton racquet? If it is for improved strength-to-weight ratio of the materials used in making a racquet, then they should concentrate on making Nono grade ultra high modulus graphite, titanium, nickel and tungsten. Exactly which of the raw materials in the Nanospeed 700 are really Nano? If the whole racquet is 100% Nano high modulus graphite material, then what is the grade of epoxy resin did it use as a binder? Nano epoxy resin? Is there such a thing? Also, I doubt a 100% high modulus graphite racquet can outperform a non-Nano racquet made from ultra modulus graphite, titanium, nickel, and tungsten. :D

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i think people (for humor) try to take the literal meaning of nanotechnology into various contexts. In carbon fiber, nanotech really means the carbon fiber is comprised of more nanotubes and nano buckyballs for higher strength and modulus. Additional interpretation of nano here is likely involve unrelated subjects.

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Bah humbug :D It's just a gimmick, like all the other little technologies that racket manufacturers flatter us with. I say "flatter", because people like to pretend they understand the "advanced science" that was used in making the product - so they can say things like: "well, the revolutionary thing about the Armortec series is that it generates 4% more speed due to the gForce Ti"; or "rounded Muscle Power grommets maximise energy transfer for more powerful smashes."

It's - all - marketing - bullsh*t

Judge a racket on its performance, not the technologies it claims to use. The technologies are often just a way to create an artificial difference between rackets that are actually very similar (e.g. "yes, they both feel the same, but mine's got nanotechnology).

Creating such an artificial difference is one way to make gullible spendthrifts (also known as tech-heads) buy the latest racket. Another way is to pay high-profile professional players to use it.

20. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    :D I can't buy one, because it will remind me of the dwarf in Jonson's Volpone.

Well said, Gollum; I think we should make your post a sticky. ;)
    Yonex definitely are pursuing the idea that if it sounds good, market it - no matter how superficial or ridiculously hyperbolic it sounds.