My thoughts after watching the Finals

Discussion in 'World Cup 2005' started by badMania, Dec 18, 2005.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Well...2 Indonesian pairs were in the finals today but both lost to opponents whom they had beaten earlier in the year. No doubt I was disapppointed, but, the more important thing is the impact of the 21-points system on the game.

I have earlier mentioned that most of the games are very fast, which is good for television. Take today's matches as an example: we started with the XD final at 1.00pm and the entire finals were completed in just under 4 hours at 5.00pm. On average, the game took 30-40 mins. None of them went to three sets and a marathon as we saw in the China Open final last mth.

For singles, I think there's not much of a difference. However, I feel that the impact seems to be greater for the doubles game. We now have one server instead of two serves, which really put pressure on both pairs to go on attack-mode from the start of the match. The pair who manage to take control the game early will win the set as it's very unlikely for the pair that is trailing more than 4 points to catch up. There's no option of another serve and points dropped are awarded to the opponent. We have seen this in the 2 matches involving the Indonesian pairs. Both Chinese pairs started well by attacking all the way and they manage to gain confidence from that.

This means big problem for veteran pairs who can't really go all out attacking like Candra/Sigit. We have seen them losing to Markis/Hendra in the Indonesian Open final due to the youngster's relentless attack. Similarly, Fu/Cai are always dangerous in attack and the 21-points system suit them very well. They always attack when they have the opportunity to do so and they usually got the point. On the other hand, Candra/Sigit can't rely on their usually good defense to save them this time because the speed is much faster and they don't have the option of a second serve once they lost the point when serving.

Another thing is I feel that the matches were less exciting. Even though scores were tight at 21-19 or 21-18, you don't really feel the tension in the match. Compare that to the China Open final between Candra/Sigit and Eriksen/Hansen. That match was tense from the beginning all the way to the end.

So, is the 21-points system really suitable for the game? I will still wait and see for a few more tournaments. At least for doubles, I prefer the good-old 15-points system.

2. jiayou

jiayou Regular Member

I already tried to play by using this 21 points in single & double.

I already tried to play by using this 21 points in single & double.

This point system make it alot of pressure.
    Especially the last 3 or 2 point .... just gone so fast :-(

I play more aggresiver, I think ... for double I got more advatanges than in single.

But dont know how about to other poeple, have you guys already tried this system ? :D

3. rwijaja

rwijaja Regular Member

The badminton game certainly has changed with the introduction of the new scoring system.
    I guess that there are pros and cons.
    But one thing that it will achieve is to make the game fairer. Let me explain.
    2 semi finals. one had an easy win, straight set, 15-7, 15-5
    The second was a lot tougher with many serves changing hands and it ends like
    17-15, 15-13, 17-16

Guess who has the advantage in the final?

4. peace

peace Regular Member

You are right, but in my opinion, that is though the eseential and the meaning of a badminton game or match...because what I saw in the final is too short and it did not really show the art of a game. It is just kind for attacking player. Maybe somehow it is more interesting with this new score system, but still...if we want to see the real of badminton, score 15 is still the best.

5. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    In my opinion, singles works better under 21 point system as games don't drag on very long and it keeps my interest.

But on the other hand, doubles needs the 15-point double serve because games are far too short and major come backs are practically impossible.

So overall I guess the new system works for singles but the old one works better for doubles :)

6. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

The 21 points system seems to simplify the scoring system. I found it easy to explain to others new to badminton and its easy for anyone to learn the scoring system. Watching the finals last night, I felt it also makes the game more tense. Because every shot counts, players will not give away shot easily and they attack more .

On the other hand, I found it hard to remember which side a player should stand. With the 15 points system, its easy to remember which side a player stands, if he/she is even on the right side of the court, he/she remains even throughout the game. With 21 points system, I would forget after a long rally. With the old 15 points system, it already happened so often that players would argue with opponents about standing on the wrong side.