My strength training with HK team

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by reaper, Sep 22, 2004.

1. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    dumbell bench press is less stressful on shoulders than barbell bench press. Use therabands to strengthen the shoulder muscles.

Upright row is definately a contraindicated exercise due to high potential for rotator cuff injury, avoiding narrow grip rows or using dumbells may alleviate the stress. Some people will do upright rows for years with no injury, but for many it is a "dangerous" exercise.

2. reaper

reaper Regular Member

Retired badminton player, LOL =P PRE-MED STUDENT (
    I complained to the strength coach when I was in HK about me not liking the bench press and that I wanted to use the dumbell press. He says no one, or almost no one in the sports institute does that because the bench press works the arms as well.

Sometimes, the more stressful workouts yield better results.

3. estib

estib Regular Member

IMO it's a dangerous exercise for many because lot of people are doing it wrong, usually lifting too much weight thus compromising form which leads to injury.

4. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Reaper , the dumbell bench press vs the barbell bench press: clearly more weight can be lifted with the bar since there is far less stability and control required, however the dumbell press allows the shoulders to move more "naturally" and is a good alternative for those who have shoulder problem. I would say the dumbell press works all the same muscles and in addition recruits more stabilising muscles, but clearly a slightly lower weight would be used. I read in a book lately the difference between free weights and machines:

Take a dumbell weight and press it until you can do no more, immediately do the same exercise with the same weight with a bar, you find you can continue to do more, then when you can do no more with the bar go to a machine and press the same weight you will do yet more reps.

This is very true and clearly explains how each version is slightly easier.

As I said the upright row with a narrow grip on a bar is considered a "dangerous" exercise by experts, however it is performed, however some people will do it for years and never have problems, just as some people will smoke for 50 years and never get cancer. :confused:

A similar situation is with lat pull down to the back of the neck, this is now considered dangerous and only the front pulldown is advocated.

5. reaper

reaper Regular Member

Retired badminton player, LOL =P PRE-MED STUDENT (
    Interesting stuff here. But yeah, for sure the back lat pull down is a really bad one. I think it's a preference thing ... it doesn't cause me injuries so I do it, but if it is shown to cause injuries, then maybe be extra careful

6. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Neck injury

This happened to me a few weeks ago and I'm still in a lot of pain. I was feeling confident on my lat pull downs at 160 lbs so I upped it to try a 200 lbs set and I felt fine afterwards, but the next morning, I had a sharp throbbing pain in my left neck muscle and it's only healing very very slowly.

My lats were strong enough for the weight, but I hadn't though about how much strain it would put on my neck.

Why do they make machines with dangerous exercises still on them? The machine I used is about 3 months old (in a new health club).

7. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I do pullups instead of lat pulldown, pulling to top of the chest in front of the head, I add weight via a dipping belt. This exercise is better than lat pulldown machine anyway for building strength. You can vary the grip from just wider than shoulder width (palms away) to narrow grip with palms away or toward.

8. asriwn

asriwn Regular Member

Desa Paya Mengkuang, Gelang Patah,Johor, Malaysia
    I know its a long time ago thread, but can you put the picture about the training you do there..So we can know the correct way to do strength training and avoid injuries...TQ

9. dex

dex Regular Member

Student
    Reaper: Where in the world are you now? It's been 4 yrs ago! :cool:

10. gustaff

gustaff Regular Member

Work
    I heard that the Chinese U19 team has to be able to do at least 1500 double skips per 15 minutes. And I guess most teams practice this as well, maybe they dont have requirements as high though. :p