My Review of the Black Knight Photon PCV (SL series)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Badten, Jan 10, 2006.

1. miketlo

miketlo Regular Member

has anyone played with the photon pvc xl?

2. oliviergmar

oliviergmar Regular Member

Yes I did... maybe 4-5 months ago. I was using a PC-V80 before but then I switched to a C2C shadow because I could not find any PV-V85. I used to play with a long raquet so I loved the Photon XL. The photon racquet gives me a good control but I can't get any power because it's too light. If you like light racquets you should consider buying one.... But try it before if you can.

3. miketlo

miketlo Regular Member

ive been looking into buying a photon but i cant decide between the xl or the normal one

4. treilanin

treilanin Regular Member

What is the difference between a Photon and Photon XL. i have gone to the Black Knight site and there is not real mention of two different versions of the XL.

5. miketlo

miketlo Regular Member

i found the xl on tenniszon.com

6. treilanin

treilanin Regular Member

Ah I see the difference now. XL is the designation for the Extra Long length Rackets. So the Photon PCV XL would be a 68 cm long racket whereas the Photon PCV would only be a 67 cm long racket.

7. BK Canada

BK Canada Regular Member

The Photon and Photon XL are mainly the same racquet besides the XL being 1 cm longer and also the handle is a bit longer, this adds a bit more weight to the racquet and the Photon XL is more arround 78-79 grams than the regular Photon which is more 75-76 grams. The weight indicated on the racquets mention 75 grams class. So all the Superlight racquets are in the 75 to 79 grams weight.

Lately we are seeing more sales in the Photon XL, one thing it's because it was the latest of our high racquets (before the coming of the Vortex series) and also people really like the Photon, because it is extremely maneuvrable and gives lots of control, with incredible reaction speed but wanted some more power in their smashes, the Photon XL fills the gap really well, a bit more weight and a bit more lenght to give added punch.

8. ckaSVEN

ckaSVEN Regular Member

Do you still play with your Photon and would you recommend getting it? My badminton club is getting a discount on some of their things and I am interested in this one. But I have no clue about stringing and gripping. Could you help me?

9. Canadian

Canadian New Member

Hmm...as you can see, my last post goes back a few years ago. I currently OWN the photon as well as other yonex rackets. All I can say is that Photon actually isn't as good as I thought it was back then. It can't stand high tensions(for the strings) and it lacks power. Its a great racket for wrist shots and defense. I don't like it.

10. miketlo

miketlo Regular Member

its not bad but i always grab my at900t first haha its not as powerful

11. ckaSVEN

ckaSVEN Regular Member

Dang, I really like the color scheme on it too

Xavier likes this.
  12. Maltese Maniac

Maltese Maniac New Member

Actually the photon pcv and the xl are both the same weight. the xl is a centimeter longer in the handle

13. An STD

An STD New Member

Student
    I own the Xl and it is a great racquet indeed. Is 21 lbs. string tension a good weight? I took it to the stringer and he said it might not handle it, I thought that buy paying the price I did it should be able to handle it..

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Any well made graphite racket should handle 21lbs easily. I suggest you change to a reputable stringer, as I seriously doubt this stringer's knowledge on badminton rackets. :eek:

15. suppahrookie

suppahrookie New Member

Student
    I believe you should be able to string up to 24lbs on the Photon. A friend of mine who's owned 2 photons (I think) has strung his at 24 lbs with BG 80 and BG 85. The only downfall was after a while of having his strung at 24lbs, the strings were cutting into the frame by a little. So I think you should keep that in mind if you're thinking about stringing at 24lbs.

16. blabbo

blabbo New Member

Student
    I've used this racquet for just over half a year.
    I think it's very good and it's quite durable to me..in a way. The racquet does not break or chip when i clash with others. However, when gripping (I grip to the top of the cone) the paint has come off because of that!
    Other than this little disappointing problem i had with my photon, i would recommend it because it is very good.

17. blabbo

blabbo New Member

Student
    I strung my photon to 27 with BG 65 and nothing went wrong:confused: