My Review of the Black Knight Photon PCV (SL series)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Badten, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Badten

Badten New Member

First off, I'd just like to introduce myself. I love playing badminton, but rarely get to do so because I don't own a racquet plus I don't know anyone who lives near me that plays. I was, however, fortunate enough to take a course in my school, in which I was somehow placed in the top group of my class though I had never seriously played badminton (last time was in high school and that was rare). Throughout the course, I felt that my badminton skills improved tremendously (and I learned all the technical names) and more importantly, I developed a love for the sport.

My inspiration for this review comes after playing at a Black Knight sponsored event at my school, in which I used the Black Knight Photon PCV, which I picked up not knowing anything about it (or any of the others for that matter). I feel that I play at an adequate level to write this review and I hope that it will be accepted purely as a respected opinion. (And well, I guess I should mention I'm not affiliated with Black Knight in anyway whatsoever. I don't even own a badminton racquet...)

So...after all that, here is my review.

Racquet Brand: Black Knight
    Racquet Name: Photon PCV (Super Light series)
    Class: 75G (not sure what this is, it said that one the racquet)
    Review:

Power - I usually swing my racquet pretty quickly as to generate a lot of power (during the course I had taken). However, using about the same quickness, my shots were so powerful that several times, my shots landed well outside the the far back line (not sure what it's called). However, after using it for some time, I was able to adjust easily enough. I must say that I am quite surprised that I can hit a shot so powerful (newbish thing to say?). Words cannot describe how happy I was while playing.

Control - Just as I was amazed at the power of the racquet, the control was also equally impressive. I was actually able to consistently make my opponent run from side to side because of how well the racquet controlled. I honestly felt that if I continued practicing, I could become a tough competitor.

Weight - For all that power, it's amazing that the racquet could be so light. I'm not sure of all the specs, but I assure you that it was really light.

Additional Comments - This is by far the best racquet I have ever used (even though I haven't used that many, to tell you the truth). But this would definitely be my racquet of choice if I were ever to buy a badminton racquet. (Unfortunately, it costs over $200CD.) I am a little sad that I probably won't be using that racquet for a long, long time unless I participate at another sponsored event, but I'm glad that I did get to use it at all. It's simply an extraordinary badminton racquet.

Thanks for reading my review and leave any feedback or questions and I'll try to reply as best as I can.

2. Artierius

Artierius Regular Member

75g

The 75G on the shaft means that it weighs 75 grams - this is 5 grams lighter than yonex's lightest measurement 4U I believe (correct me if I'm wrong, I've never actually bought a Yonex racquet) thus, that is why it is called a superlight

3. Badten

Badten New Member

Thanks. As you can see, I don't know much about equipment. I've posted a picture of the racquet for those interested.

What does everyone else think of my review?

Attached Files:

#3 Badten, Jan 12, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  4. winterwindwolf

winterwindwolf Regular Member

graphic design
    Wish find out BK SL series released to countries

Do anyone know if Black Knight SL series are released in USA yet? or can you tell me which countries are release this series now. I will really want to get one from my local area that is if it released in USA. Please let me know.

5. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    The SL series was released in Canada last year so I think US should have it by now.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i have strung this racket new. It's one of BK high end racket. It's a very stiff and light racket. The sweet spot is smaller than average because the top frame tapers too much. This guy paid 250$ (unstrung) for it. I wonder what string and tension was used on your test racket?

7. Badten

Badten New Member

I unfortunately don't know about the type or tension of string. Sorry.. but I guess most would use whatever they're used to.

8. Volts

Volts Regular Member

That series is really popular amongs players around here, i hope i could test them. Nice review btw

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yeah, the BK SL series could be found in US now days. One of my friend recently picked up a SL Feather from a dealer in CT. Not sure about your location, therefore availability around your area. ;)

10. winterwindwolf

graphic design
    How much are the fair price for each of SL?

#10 winterwindwolf, May 13, 2006
    Last edited: May 13, 2006
  11. winterwindwolf

graphic design
    How about now?

:D Well, i am living in New York, Long Island. i don't know any badminton Racquet dealers or any badminton shop around my area or in NY city. Is here anyone can tell me where can i find those shop and dealers to get one of BLACK KNIGHT SL?:confused:

12. Canadian

Canadian New Member

Hey everyone

I'm a intermediate player, finishing high school. I'm good enough to consider what makes a good racket.
    I'm currently using four rackets, all from Black Knight. My main one(actually 2 of them) is my PC-V60(power channel vibra-plate 60). I love this racket!

My friends use armotech 800 and one of them uses an photon pcv(the most expensive of SP serie). Having played with armotech 800 many times, i have to say that it's a great racket, but no match to the Photon.
    It's better in almost everyway! Power,control...and weight of course. Smashing becomes so easier and much more powerful with better control than usual.
    The major flaw with this racket is that it is pretty fragile, not that it's not durable, but one blow with an other racket, you might be the loser of the dual.

I stronly recommend anyone to try it. JUST TRYYY!!! If only i had enough money, i would buy it without hesitating.
    Too bad Black Knight is not as much popular than Yonex

13. Volts

Volts Regular Member

I'm going to test the photon PCV and the ghost PC this week.I'll try to do a little review

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't know any Black Knight dealer in NY area either. However, if you look for badminton equipment, contact www.nycbadminton.com. They are dealer for Yonex, Gosen and SOTX.

I think I heard Andy Chong and Radu are BK sponsored players and they are dealers for Black Knight. But they are in MA/CT. ;)

15. Volts

Volts Regular Member

The photon PCV sells for 170USD$ around here

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If i remember correctly, the price in US is cheaper. ;)

17. Volts

Volts Regular Member

^ not fair, everything is so damn expensive in stores here....

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I was a bit surprised, as I understand due to the possible duty etc, the imported brands (i.e. Yonex) might cost your guys quite a bit. Such might be an intention to protect local economy. Isn't BK a CAN brand? Why is it also that expensive? :eek:

19. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    It's supply and demand.

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    But I really doubt BK has much more market demand in US than CAN... :rolleyes: