My heart MELTS when i watch this. PLEASE WATCH

Discussion in 'World Championships 2011' started by george@chongwei, Aug 15, 2011.

1. indrg

indrg Regular Member

I am not so sure Lin Dan wants to retire after Olympic Games 2012. He has so much pride to retire knowing Peter Gade can do it to keep playing and last this long.

2. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Unless LYB asks him to retire :)

3. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Or his house boss, Mrs. Lin Dan.

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Ya.. 100plus not strong enough.. Should add some cap harimau malaysia substance inside..:p
    LOL.. to make this thread more interesting of course.. As usual, baby pic is the cutest.. whaddya think?:D

5. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    PG stick around this long because he feels he still has a chance to win the biggie. LD has won them all, and one more OLY12 gold would forever seal his legacy in this sport. If LD wins OLY12 gold, what is there left to shoot for? To stay on after OLY12 risks overstaying his welcome, and risk tarnishing his name, better to know when to call it quits on his own term and retire while on top and rides out his career as a champion;).

On another note, those shots in the Red Bull commercial, one word of caution to his rivals....run, duck!:D

#25 OneToughBirdie, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  6. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Give LCW one more point, does not matter how the point comes from, whether from bribe, cheat, etc and we can leave out the 'respect', 'skill' thinge this time:D:p

7. freelast

freelast Regular Member

Chen Jin was the last year World Champion. Lin Dan got 4 championship titles in the last 5 tournaments (longer than 5 years though).

8. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

Massive respect for LCW, he played his heart out and he should be so proud of himself. More than the physical effort, it must be so hard to face up to self doubt as well as Lin Dan. To keep putting himself on the line and taking the abuse from so-called experts in the press. It's a shame he didn't quite find his absolute best, but it was one of the biggest efforts and gamest performances I have ever seen.... credit to Lin Dan as well, who is the best at breaking a player's rhythm and who played a truly excellent final. And who is the best of all time because he has the best big match temprament of all. But LCW couldn't have done any more on the day, and even so with a little luck he'd have had the Gold as well. He has a huge heart as well as God-given talent. I think the hardest thing is that LCW really feels the responsibility of his talent and worries about letting others down. Lin Dan's juist a bit more secure in his gifts and goes out to enjoy the battle.

(At this wc, it is clear that nobody else was realiostically a challenge to LCW except LD, so i'd guess he must feel he choked in the only match that was a real contest, but he didn't choke. LD took it, LCW didn't throw it away, LCW stuck to his game plan and backed his game, which is exactly right, and tried to dictate. just made a few too many errors.)

9. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
    The match was close enough.
    Looking forward to next year's rematch.

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    This is not at all obvious IMHOP, as LCW probably expends more energy due to his playingstyle etc. LD is more "power effiecient" imop.. That does not mean he has better stamina..

11. benjamin59

benjamin59 Regular Member

technician
    i totally agreed. LCW did more running around the court than LD.

G. Clark always said you created your own luck.

LCW skills is 100% hard work and training not god given talents.

LD got the 0.1% innate gift!

#31 benjamin59, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  12. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

LCW has never dropped a game until the final. He won all his matches in two straight games. In contrast, LD's road to the final is much more difficult. Especially in the semi final against PG. His semi final match was set in the evening session. He has lesser time to rest compared to LCW.

13. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    As someone else mentioned in another thread, two people can be equally tired, but the jubilant one will have adrenaline coursing through his system, and the despondent one will feel the pain. During the match, both LCW and LD did not show their fatigue because obviously they are in the middle of their match and they're high with adrenaline. I bet they could have lasted another game if need be.

14. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

i just want to say

LCW maybe if possible go for next world championship...

never say give up.....

my thumbs up to him

15. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Yeah, like in tennis.......best of 5 sets !!

16. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    It's heart wrenching for sure to lose in such a hard fought battle. But I think LCW should suck it up and move on. Don't get me wrong, I respect LCW a lot, but I think he should just treat this as a learning curve and he should learn from it. Train harder, both physically and mentally.

I just hope that this doesn't affect him and that he'll bounce back stronger. If not, who's there to challange LD? I seriously think that currently, only LCW is capable of defeating LD.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree. in competition, there is only one winners and N-1 losers. the ones who pick up and learn from their loss and treat the defeat as a lesson learned will eventually be a winner.

18. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

You are the kind of fan that makes LCW look really really bad and a sore loser.

Blaming China's domination on China is pitiful. Malaysia should learn from and not to blame China. Fact is, this kind of blaming mentality is the reason why Malaysia is so underachieve on the big events. I don't see Korea, Indonesia and Denmark cry like the Malaysia fans does, and that's why even they share a similar size or smaller population poll and still manage to achieve big. For you information, this year MS final actually make it to the top viewings list of Youtube like it never did for badminton, you think the Caucasian would call this a bored encounter because both LCW and LD are Asian???

Finally, calling LD won by sheer luck is a disrespect. I don't care if LCW is your hero but he is beaten by LD fair and square, period! So many times the LCW fans have come up with excuses to discount LD's achievements and he has prove you wrong time after time. Maybe this is the time for you to accept the defeat and admit that LD is the BETTER player.

19. sen

sen Regular Member

First of all, just because China clean sweep in the past 2 World Championship does not mean a domination. If all China semifinal, I would say it is domination.

I have to respect China youth development during 1990s and maybe up to close to Beijing Olympic. I think the 2008 Olympic is the catalist for the result they have in 2010 and 2011.

But after the golden generation, I think there will be less likely of a clean sweep but with the deep talent pool China has, China will continue to win titles and maybe the most number of titles compare to other countries.

As for LCW, I don't think he should feel "the world is cruel". Neither his fans. He is exhausted after the match means he has given all his best. That's more important than the win. If you lose because you have not given your best, then you should be feeling down. Or if you lose because of some other factors.

I am sure LCW will be back and if LD is not training harder, LCW will soon be much better than LD because his motivation at the moment is big. That's how he has achieved his current level of play.

20. jkkwongnz

jkkwongnz Regular Member

doctor
    As a malaysian, I am sad that LCW doesn't win the world championship title this time. It was so close, yet so far. There are really no much differences between Lin dan and Lee Chong Wei in term of skills, speed and strength. So, why did Lin dan win more often when he played with Lee Chong Wei? In my opinion, There are at least two areas that make Lin Dan a different class from the rest of Men single players.

1. His accurate placement of the shuttlecock in the court.
    2. His ability to limit the unforced errors at crucial time.

If you watch again the videos you will soon find out that with these qualities, Lin Dan won the last three points of Games 3 when he played with Lee Chong Wei and the last 7 points when he played with Peter Gade. The accurate placement of shuttlecock made LCW and Peter Gade didn't have chance to play a winner. By limiting his unforced errors at crucial time, his opponents will find difficult to get points from him.

Of course, Lin dan needed guidance from his coaches, especially Master Tang and a lot of practice to get this right. The Lin Dan who played with Lee Chong Wei at World championship final is was the same Lin Dan who beat LCW in Beiling olympics apart from he had less accurate placement of the shuttlecock and more unforced errors this time. After winning olympics gold medal he became very popular in China and had a lot of commitments outside badminton. The quality of his training and practice was certainly affected siginificantly. I think this is why his placement is less accurate with more unforced error nowadays, especially last twelve months. This gave people wrong impression that he is getting old or not as good as before.

I pretty sure Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei will be in the final in London Olympics next year unless they suffers any injury in between. The Question is whether Lee Chong Wei can beat lin dan to get the first ever gold medal for Malaysia. My answer is no if Lee Chong Wei doesn't improve further from now. It is because I know that the Lin Dan who will stand opposite Lee Chong Wei in London Olympics final, will be much better than now. I pretty sure he will get proper training from now on. Master Tang will be back soon to guide his training and all other commitments will be second to Badminton. His placement of shuttlecock in the court will be much more accurate than now and there will be even less unforced error too. Chong Wei will find very difficult to get points from him let alone to win the game.

So, I think from now on, Lee Chong Wei and his coach should set up a programme to further improve Lee chong wei shuttlecock placement and spend more time to study how to play at the crucial moment to limit the unforced error which costed him the title this time. Unfortunately, this means a lot more pratice time but this is the only way Lee chong wei can improve his chance to win the gold medal for our country. Anybody who think Lin Dan is getting old or not as good as before, will be surpised in 2012 Olympics games. I am pretty sure, he won't surrender the gold medal to LCW without a good quality fight.