my experience as a liason officer

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by B3nny H4nn4, Aug 23, 2005.

1. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

oh i see
    thanks a lot ctjcad
    it will be great to be LO for foreign teams as well
    i will ask ants about it
    hope you can make it for wc
    by the way which team were you assign to?
    sure you have a lot of fun meeting the players:)

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Which team i was assigned to??..

..to answer your new query, i was assigned to the Indonesian team(yes, I'm an Indonesian myself, but grew up in the U.S. most of my life. I originally signed up to help the INA team). I was asked to help with some translation task also. Although i have another INA friend, but he was assigned to assist the ENGLAND team. Yup, he helped them get acquainted and familiarized with the event. However, if you didn't know the story, the ENG squad arrived very late to the event, because, unfortunately, at that time many BA(British Airways)'s employees had a walk-out and many passengers were stranded at the airport. So for that time being, my friend took up & was asked to help in other tasks. Actually many of us LOs were assigned in other tasks also, not only helping out at the playing venues but also at the hotel where the players/coaches/officials were staying. Eventually the ENG team arrived but exited quite early. My friend was lucky though, as Robert Blair gave him his Yonex bag, hehe;) :D :cool:
    Oh, there was also another Indonesian friend who came all the way from German to help out, yup from German;) :cool: But she was really fluent in many languages. She could speak English, a bit of Indonesian, German, Swiss & a bit of French;) :cool: . If i remember, she was assigned as the main LO for the German team as well as another European team, i forgot which one.
    So, overall the LOs came from many different places, but most of us were locals. And once you sign up, they'll ask you what languages are you fluent in?? So if one can speak/is fluent in different languages, then more power to him/her.:cool:
    Time commitment is also important.;)

In total there were 3 of us Indonesians who helped. The rest and most of the other LOs were a mixture of Taiwanese, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, a couple Armenians & a couple of local Americans. The ages range from high-schoolers to moms&pops in their 40s-50s.:cool: And if i remember correctly, there were between 40-50 of us.:cool:
    Personally i didn't have a chance to meet nor take pics with many of those players, i wish i did, but the overall experience won't be forgotten for quite some time.:cool:
    Anyways, that's a bit more from my experience. Hopefully you'll be able to sign up to be one of the LO for the upcoming WC.;)

#22 ctjcad, Feb 8, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  3. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

thanks a lot for sharing your experience ,ctjcad
    that was nice and interesting
    hehe
    wow i also want player's yonex bag and shirt
    greedy me!hehe
    maybe i can become INA's LO
    haha but i dont know INA language and it's different from malay.
    or maybe for china?hehe. or hong kong?
    hmm i think maybe for england will be better since i can speak english fluently.
    sorry was dreaming
    i already ask ants about it
    waiting for his reply now
    ya really hope and pray that i can be LO for WC07!
    thanks again
    hope to see u:)