my experience as a liason officer

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by B3nny H4nn4, Aug 23, 2005.

1. B3nny H4nn4

B3nny H4nn4 Regular Member

it was a huge honor for me to have helped work in 2005 world champians, the fact that i was there to witness tony and howards victory made me feel like i was part of history. i had alot of fun meeting and hanging out with the the players whom are all very nice...no player that i met appeared rude or anything....many even gave me their contact info...

so besides me...how bout the rest of the liason officers...how was ur experience?

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Eh? You mean, the liason officers don't liase with one another?

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

So what team were you LO for?

4. B3nny H4nn4

B3nny H4nn4 Regular Member

i was put with team maylasia...everyone was very nice and i felt really welcomed...

5. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    I think overall, the Malaysian team is one of the nicest teams. I talked to WCH on multiple occasions, and he's so friendly IRL. He's by far one of my most respected players; not just for being awesome at baddy but for being able to be so friendly to everyone all the time.

6. rachelchan

rachelchan Regular Member

Malaysia players are all generally nice. Especially LCW..during the malaysia open. he was just a neighbourhood boy..

7. JumpingSmash

JumpingSmash Regular Member

how can you be a liason officer ??
    do you apply for it or what ??

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I was one of the LO as well.
    Yes, we had to apply for it. For this particular LO position, it was actually started last year at the U.S. Open(as a "guinea pig" event). I believe on the USAB & SCBA websites, they actually put up an ad for it for almost a year. The position only allows about 30+ people. In the beginning there weren't many who knew or wanted to volunteer. But as the year passed, many people applied for it, either by word of mouth or saw it on the website. Even til about 1 or 2 months prior to the WC, i knew some people are still interested in applying. However, the person in charge refused to accept anymore applicants. Nearing the WC event itself, there were a few who cancelled and other depts. asked to "borrow" some of the LO people. In the end, when the WC started, it ended with only 28 people. And by the time it finished, probably it came down to less than 25 people.

9. rachelchan

Please share more about liason officer..what do you have to do ???
    do you have to go there on your own expenses ?
    Interested to find out more...maybe I can join next year ...:p

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

there's another thread which mentioned about this, but i'll explain again..

the LO's main tasks and responsibilities are basically to assist the incoming teams, to a certain extent helped with the organizers. Most of the LO will have some tasks at hand and assigned to different teams, based on the language ability of the LOs. Other tasks also were assigned daily, esp. at the hotel where the players are staying. They include:team welcome, assist in getting credentials, help the teams get familiarize with the practice facility and main venue, help do translations(which i was assigned to), and help with other duties. Yes, we are responsible for our own expenses, drive from our place of residence to the event, no rooms provided. Some parking we have to pay. Food is provided daily for lunch and dinner. Clothes/uniforms are also provided as well.
    And remember, all the LOs are working VOLUNTARILY, not paid..
    I have pics posted in the forum, check out the 2005 WC Pics thread..

Next year it'll be held in Madrid, Spain. Don't know if you will be willing to go there or not. Most likely, if i were you, i'll wait til 2007 where the WC will be held in your country Malaysia...

Hope this helps..

11. khwong

khwong Regular Member

Self Employed
    yipeeee......!!! can't wait for it to be held here in m'sia! damn, it's another 2 years from now. i will be counting the days!;)

12. Badmincraze

Badmincraze Regular Member

Ooh yeah~~~ ... I hope i can be there in Msia then to help out, as well as to show these fantastic players around Msia !! :D

13. Togey

Togey Regular Member

benny - could you please gimme a list of players who speak cantonese?

14. rachelchan

Thanks a lot ! So exciting about the WC 2007 in my own country...though have to wait for another 2 years time...:eek:

15. JumpingSmash

JumpingSmash Regular Member

And what are the requirement to be a liason officer ??
    Do all badminton event have liason officers or just WC that have them ??

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Main requirements:
    At first they were looking at younger adults, high school to college students, who is willing to volunteer "full time". But they still accept any full-time workers, adults. So the LO group ended up quite mixed..
    Also preferred if you can speak multi-language. There's this one gal who can speak 5 languages, and quite fluently.. :eek: :cool: while i can only speak 2.. :p :eek:

Actually they started this last year in a smaller 1* US Open(more like a "guinea pig" test tournament). The coordinator for this LO used to help out at the Olympics so she knew the prep. coming in. My guess is that every big IBF event(s), esp. WC and Olympics, will have somekind of LO.

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    That is a nice job to do..

#17 ants, Aug 26, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  18. scchang

scchang Regular Member

Mechanical Engineer
    For most time, it was great. But some Arrowhead Pond staff did not know why some wolunteers were assigned to certained department; that made me feel annoyed. I saw some volunteers feel upset about what they were asked to do (I was also asked to some thing really trivial, god, and I found it did not really need me to do that since they already had enough people dealing with that). I complained this to the LO coordinator and got this thing straight. Telling the truth, if this thing was not resolved, I would let other LO's know what was going on and refuse to do what was not on my task list.

Anyway, I got the chance to witness a great event and some miracles (not an proper term, I believed). Unseeded players beat high ranking ones while the lower seeded pair knocked out four higher seeded pairs. Surprises, surprises. It left me great and pleasant memory for the last week of summer break (even though I still work for a private company full time and therefore was unable to have enough sleep).

19. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

hi ctjcad,
    wc will be in mas tis year n i really want 2 beome a LO but i dono hw 2 apply.
    is it through BAM.
    i already emel BAM bout it but they never reply.
    haiz
    i am a college student n i can speak english n malay n a bit of mandarin n cantonese(daily conversation level)
    haha by the way, do MAS team need an LO in wc since it is in MAS.
    wanna be their LO if can.hehe.funny though.
    normally when they start looking 4 LO?
    is it because it is still early?
    btw r u coming 2 wc ctjcad?
    thx

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

To quickly answer your queries..

..hmm, cheeyf, to answer your queries:
    1. As far as i remember and can think back, when they held the WC 2 yrs ago here, the U.S. squad/players didn't have an LO(s)(of course for the obvious reasons that they understand the local language, familiar with the venues and surroundings).
    2. LOs are usually "locally-based", meaning most of them are from the area where the event is being held. However, they are being asked NOT for the local team/players, but specifically to assist those teams/players not familiar with the language, venues or surroundings. More like a "tour guide" but doing so to enhance the communication aspect between teams/players. During their volunteering period, they may be asked to do other tasks, depending on what the LO Manager is asking.
    3. So, if you want to help out as an LO for the upcoming WC, i believe they should announce it shortly, if not already. As i remember when they first announced the invitation for the WC in U.S., they had it announced since more than a yr prior. During the recruiting and final preparations period, we had a couple or so big group meetings just to go over the procedures and logistics prior to the event.
    4. As far as them(BAM) not replying back to you or you haven't heard anything from them yet, hmm, that i can't really help you much. Have you visited KLBC and asked some people there??.. If not maybe our ants can be of some help??..:confused:;)
    5. My guess is the host MAS will probably not need an LO, but with your talent(esp. ability to speak multiple languages), i'm sure they can use your help to assist or help other incoming teams/players. See point #2.
    Hope those'll be of some help...And as for me coming, hehe, it's still tentative. Plan is there but won't be confirmed til summer time..;):cool:

#20 ctjcad, Feb 7, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2007