Muscle excercise to increase arm strength

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chickachow, Oct 27, 2019.

1. chickachow

chickachow Regular Member

Hi
    I'm looking for some ways to improve my arm strength to increase my power, I am 80 kilos and 1.7m do you guys recommend anything that may help?
    Thanks

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

3. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Thought some arm strength execises will increase your strength and eventually power, it will not be of great use in badminton.

You must think about energy transfered from your racket to the shuttle, this will determine the speed with which the shuttle will travel. Well, either the shuttle, nor the racket are heavy (racket ~100g) and the contact time when the energy is transfered is quite short.

So, you need to have a lot of energy stored in your racket when you hit the shuttle and you need to transfer a lot of this energy to the shuttle and this is done by
    1. a good contact point
    2. high speed of the racket-head (mostly from arm rotation)

Technique will help you best to optimize the contact point and speed training (no heavy weight used) will help you to generate more energy before hitting the racket. Both are archived by just playing/training a lot of badminton.

chickachow and Pagz like this.
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

Practice with a trainer racket. Or with a racket cover.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

ralphz and Cheung like this.
  5. Pagz

Pagz Regular Member

I agree with Ballschubser that strength exercises won't help you much in terms of smash power. However, I found that they do help with stamina, so it might still be a good idea to do them once or twice a week.

chickachow likes this.
  6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Training racket would help but economic wise, you could use unused plastic bottle filled with sand & perform shadow smash/forehand/backhand. You want to get some muscle but you need to train your muscle to gain the acceleration to.
    Also, while doing some shadow stroke, you can train your body to memorize the stroke pattern.

7. StiveRogers

StiveRogers New Member

I have a friend who has been involved in badminton for many years, she has reached great heights in this sport, she won many matches.