Msia Open News from Press/Other Media

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open 2008' started by eaglehelang, Jan 3, 2008.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

From Kompas daily

Here's the news from our daily Kompas, the most respected newspaper in INA.

Awal Buruk bagi Indonesia -- "Bad Start for Indonesia"

jakarta, kompas - Tim bulu tangkis Indonesia mengawali penampilannya pada turnamen Malaysia Super Series di Putra Stadium, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Rabu (16/1), dengan hasil buruk. Tiga ganda campuran, dua ganda putra, satu tunggal putra, dan satu tunggal putri tersingkir pada babak pertama.

The INA badminton squad started their campaign in the Malaysia Super Series in the Putra Stadium, KL, Malaysia, on Wednesday (16/1) badly. Three mixed doubles, two men's doubles, one men's singles, and one women's singles were eliminated on the first round.

Dua wakil di antara para pemain yang tersingkir itu bahkan ditempatkan sebagai unggulan, yaitu ganda campuran Flandy Limpele/Vita Marissa yang menjadi unggulan keempat dan unggulan kelima tunggal putra, Sony Dwi Kuncoro.

Two of those who lost were seeded players: the 4th-seeded Flandy Limpele/Vita Marissa in the mixed doubles and the 5th-seeded Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the men's singles

Seperti terdapat dalam situs turnamen, Flandy/Vita, bahkan, kalah dalam pertandingan dua game dari Joachim Fischer Nielsen/Britta Andersen, 12-21, 15-21, dalam waktu 30 menit.

According to the tournament website, Flandy/Vita even lost the match in straight-sets to Joachim Fischer Nielsen/Britta Andersen 12-21, 15-21, in just 30 mins.

Padahal, dengan absennya ganda campuran nomor satu dunia, Zheng Bo/Gao Ling, Flandy/Vita berpeluang besar menjadi finalis dari pul atas. Sayang, mereka tak dapat memanfaatkan kesempatan tersebut dengan tersingkir pada babak pertama.

With the absence of the world no 1 in the mixed doubles, Zheng Bo/Gao Ling, Flandy/Vita had a fantastic opportunity to be the finalist from the top half of the draw. Unfortunately, they could not even take advantage of this opportunity with their first-round elimination.

Pada pertandingan sebelumnya, Muhammad Rijal/Greysia Polii juga kalah dua game. Mereka kalah dari ganda Inggris, David Lindley/Suzanne Rayappan, 20-22, 6-21.

In the earlier match, Mohd Rijal/Greysia Polii also lost in straight sets to the English pair, David Lindley/Suzanne Rayappan 20-22, 6-21.

Penampilan mereka di Malaysia Super Series menjadi yang pertama setelah terakhir kali keduanya bermain di Kejuaraan Dunia, Agustus 2007. Hingga akhir tahun lalu, mereka absen pada turnamen-turnamen internasional menyusul cederanya Grace saat tampil di Kejuaraan Dunia.

Their showing in the Malaysia Super Series were the first after they were last seen competing in the World Championships in August 2007. They were absent in the tournaments in the second half of 2007 due to Grace's injury during the World Championships.

Dengan kondisi inilah, seperti disebutkan Antara, pelatih ganda campuran Richard Mainaky yang berada di Jakarta mengatakan, kemungkinan Rijal/Greysia tengah mengembalikan rasa percaya diri setelah lama tidak bertanding.

As quoted by Antara, according to the mixed doubles coach, Richard Mainaky who is in Jakarta said that with this situation, Rijal/Greysia are in the process of gaining back their confidence after a long absence from top-level competion.

Kekalahan Flandy/Vita dan Rijal/Greysia diikuti kekalahan ganda campuran lainnya, Devin Lahardi/Lita Nurlita, dari ganda Jerman, Kristof Hopp/Birgit Overzier, 12-21, 15-21.

Flandy/Vita and Rijal/Greysia's losses were followed by another mixed doubles pair, Devin Lahardi/Lita Nurlita, who lost to the German pair, Kristoff Hopp/Birgit Overzier 12-21, 15-21.

Dengan tersingkirnya tiga ganda campuran tersebut, Indonesia tinggal berharap pada juara dunia Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir. Mereka akan melawan Ingo Kindervater/Kathrin Piotrowski setelah mengalahkan Fang Chieh Min/Cheng Wen Hsing, 18-21, 21-19, 21-16.

Pada tunggal putra, Sony kalah dari pemain Korea Selatan, Lee Hyun Ill, 21-12, 22-24, 16-21. Sony sebenarnya berpeluang menang dalam dua game ketika di game kedua mendapat empat kali match point. Namun, keunggulannya sejak skor 20-18 terkejar oleh Hyun Ill.

Kekalahan juga hampir dialami Taufik Hidayat dari pemain Korsel lainnya, Park Sung Hwan. Setelah kalah 15-21 pada game pertama, persaingan memperebutkan angka yang ketat terjadi menjelang akhir game kedua. Beruntung setelah skor imbang 20-20, Taufik menang, 22-20. Adapun pada game ketiga, Taufik menang 21-16.

Indonesia juga masih memiliki wakil tunggal putra pada babak kedua, yaitu Simon Santoso dan Andre Kurniawan Tedjono. Namun, Simon harus berhadapan dengan Taufik pada pertandingan hari ini hingga Indonesia dipastikan akan kehilangan salah satu pemain.

Pada ganda putra, dua wakil yang tersingkir adalah Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto dan Joko Riyadi/Hendra Aprida Gunawan. Sementara pada tunggal putri, Pia Zebadiah yang harus main sejak kualifikasi kalah dari Kanako Yonekura. (iya)

In the men's doubles, two representatives who lost were Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto and Joko Riyadi/Hendra Aprida Gunawan. Meanwhile, in the women's singles, Pia Zebadiah who had been playing since qualification round, lost to Kanako Yonekura.

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Badminton/Malaysia Open 2008: Danish blow for Koo and Tan

18 January, 2008

WORLD No 1 Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong were brought down to earth by former world champions Lars Paaske-Jonas Rasmussen of Denmark in the second round of the Malaysia Open at Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday. An out of sorts Boon Heong almost singlehandedly brought about the downfall and despite Kien Keat's efforts to avoid an embarrassing exit, Paaske-Rasmussen roared to a 21-19, 18-21, 21-16 win in 59 minutes.

However, Malaysia's interest in the men's doubles stayed alive after veterans Choong Tan Fok-Lee Wan Wah and former national pair Chew Choon Eng-Chan Chong Ming reached the last eight.

Tan Fook-Wan Wah, however, had to overcome tough resistance from compatriots Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock before prevailing 19-21, 21-18, 21-18 in 49 minutes.

Chong Ming-Choon Eng's fairytale run continued when they defeated Taiwan's Tsai Chia Hsin-Hu Chung Hsien 21-13, 13-21, 21-14 in 42 minutes to reach the last eight.

Tan Fook-Wan Wah face Paaske-Rasmussen today.

Chong Ming-Choon Eng will meet either third seeds Fu Haifeng-Cai Yun of China or Thailand's Sudket Prapakamol-Patapol Ngernsrisuk of Thailand next.

In a late second round encounter, Zakry Latif-Fairuzizuan Tazari lost to Olympic champions Candra Wijaya-Tony Gunawan of Indonesia 23-21, 21-18.

Kien Keat-Boon Heong began their match sluggishly and allowed Paaske-Rasmussen to dictate terms in the first game.

The Danes dominated the attack and pulled away to a 20-15 lead.

Kien Keat-Boon Heong made a late rally to come within a point of drawing level but Paaske-Rasmussen halted the surge with a 21-19 win.

Kien Keat started the fight back in the second game as he covered an erratic Boon Heong well but victory didn't come easy.

Kien Keat needed to rely on every bit of his experience to save the match and secured a close 21-18 win.

By the third game, Boon Heong was effectively out of the match and started playing like a novice.

There was some hope when the Malaysians took a 14-11 lead in the third game but it was easily wiped out by Paaske-Rasmussen who found Boon Heong an easy prey.

National doubles coach Rexy Mainaky expressed his disappointment with Kien Keat-Boon Heong's defeat.

"Like everyone else in the stadium, I'm disappointed with their defeat but there is always ups and downs in sports. They cannot keep on winning all the time," said Rexy.

"I did lose some silly matches as a player. Technically, they have no problems but they lack focus. I will have a post-mortem to iron out this weakness.

"Our main target is still the Olympics and I have faith that they will deliver in Beijing."

In the women's doubles, Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui were also knocked out by Taiwan's Chien Yu Chin-Cheng Wen Hsing 21-17, 21-18.

Malaysia's campaign in the mixed doubles came to an end when Razif Latif-Chong Sook Chin lost 21-18, 21-16 to Thailand's Sudket Parapakamol-Patapol Ngernsrisuk.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^I can hear..^^

...eaglehelang's buddy coming in..:rolleyes: :p

4. eaglehelang

From The Star

Badminton: Koo-Tan lose to Danes

VETERANS Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah and Chan Chong Ming-Chew Choon Eng advanced to the quarter-finals of the Malaysian Open badminton championships but the celebrations were muted following the shocking exit of defending champions Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil last night.

The signs were already there when the world number one pair struggled to beat third-ranked Indonesians Hendra Gunawan-Joko Riyadi in their opening match on Wednesday.

And their worst fears came true when they crashed 19-21, 21-18, 16-21 to former world champions Lars Paaske-Jonas Rasmussen of Denmark in the second round.

This is the second successive time that they have failed to make it past the early rounds of a Super Series tournament. Kien Keat-Boon Heong lost to Taiwan’s Tsai Chia-hsin-Hu Chung-shien in the second round of the China Open last November.

This time, Boon Heong proved to be the weak link and it was no surprise to see the Danish pair going on to claim victory in 59 minutes.

Kien Keat had to run all over the court to do most of the work and the Danish pair, world champions in 2003, capitalised on it by targeting Boon Heong in the rubber game.

Boon Heong committed numerous unforced errors in the rubber game to allow the veteran Danish pair to come back from 11-14 down and seal victory.
    Kien Keat-Boon Heong had beaten the Danish pair twice before and yesterday’s defeat in their home Open was painful indeed, especially when they had high hopes of making a good start to their campaign for the year.

Despite the unexpected early defeat, doubles coach Rexy Mainaky chose not to blast the Malaysian pair for their poor display, saying “they are still the main hope for the Beijing Olympics in August”.

“This defeat in the Malaysian Open should not be used as the only yardstick to judge them.

“Our priority is still the Olympics and I believe they are good for the title there,” said Rexy, who also pleaded for support for the pair.

“We have to understand that no athlete can stay on the winning trail all the time. The pair have been performing well for some time and it’s more important for them to learn from this and come back stronger.”
    Malaysia’s hopes now rest on the shoulders of Tan Fook-Wan Wah and Chong Ming-Choon Eng.

Tan Fook-Wan Wah, winners in 2004, overcame fellow Malaysians Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock 19-21, 21-18, 21-18 and will face Paaske-Rasmussen next.
    Chong Ming-Choon Eng, who had to play their way from the qualifying rounds, continued with their impressive run by reaching the last eight when they scored a 21-13, 13-21, 21-14 win over world No 26 Chia-hsin-Chung-shien.

Wah, Rexy plead for support some more. Seems TBH got nervy, could be WC ghosts haunting him, they do better as jaguh luar.

#64 eaglehelang, Jan 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  5. eaglehelang

Also from The Star

Intv with Lars/Ramussen

Sweet revenge as Danish pair overcome Kien Keat-Boon Heong

FORMER world champions Lars Paaske-Jonas Rasmussen of Denmark ended their losing streak against world number one Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong in superb style at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday.
    The duo battled for 59 minutes to break the hearts of Malaysian fans by carving out a 21-19, 18-21, 21-16 win over the defending champion in a gripping second round match.
    The world number 14th pair have now vowed to shut out veterans and 2004 Malaysian Open champions Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah in today’s quarter-finals.

The 31-year-old Paaske attributed their success to Boon Heong’s inability to stay calm at the crucial stages of the decider.

The Malaysians did well in the first game and we got our act together in the second. It was up and down but it all came down to the final part of the third game. And Tan played some bad shots,” said Paaske.

“We were lucky to find the Malaysian pair’s weak link – Tan – and that was all what it took for us to nail this victory. They did not know what to do.

“We know they are strong. They have played exceptionally well in some tournaments. So, it feels great to finally beat them on their own home ground after losing twice to them.”

Paaske, who won the world title with Rasmussen in 2005, added that the win would strengthen their bid to be seeded in the Beijing Olympic Games.

“It will really help us in our qualification for the Olympics. We need the points to improve our world ranking into the top eight,” he said.

“Besides the Olympics, we are also aiming to do well in the All-England and Thomas Cup Finals. This is our second best win in a year. We had also beaten Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng of China in the Danish Open last year.”

On their chances against Tan Fook-Wan Wah, Paaske said: “I am as old as they are. We have played many times and I guess we know each other’s game well.
    “If we can play with this speed and control the play as we did today, we have a shot at beating them.”

6. eaglehelang

Wei Lee unhappy with his erratic form
    By RAJES PAUL and LIM TEIK HUAT

NATIONAL number one men’s singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei was frustrated with his inconsistency despite reaching the quarter-finals of the Malaysian Open at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday.

The top seed and Malaysia’s best bet for honours should have found Poland’s Wacha Przemyslaw an easy prey but Chong Wei made life difficult for himself before prevailing 21-15, 15-21, 21-8 in the second round.

The three-time Malaysian Open champion knows he cannot afford to make silly mistakes when he takes on Indonesian Simon Santoso in the last eight today.

The 22-year-old Simon pulled off an upset win over his more illustrious compatriot Taufik Hidayat to dash badminton fans’ hopes of a mouth-watering quarter-final clash between Chong Wei and Taufik.

A cool Simon, with clever tricks and smart tactics up his sleeves, carved out a convincing 21-18, 21-16 win over Taufik in 40 minutes.

There was joy for national women’s singles ace Wong Mew Choo. The eighth seed saw off Swiss lass Jeanine Cicognini 21-14, 21-10 to set up a quarter-final clash against Japan’s Eriko Hirose today.

As for Chong Wei, there was frustration written all over his face.

“I still have not found my touch here. It was not my best performance at all today. I was quite slow,” lamented Chong Wei.

“I have to be blamed for allowing Wacha back into the game. I made mistakes and that gave him the confidence.”

Chong Wei has vowed to make it a magical moment for the home fans today.
    “If I play like this, I am certainly heading for a defeat against Simon tomorrow (today). After beating Taufik, Simon will be riding a wave of confidence. But I am determined to come out of this. I will play my style of badminton,” said Chong Wei.

Simon, all smiles after beating Taufik for only the second time in his career, chose to remain cautious about his chances Chong Wei.

“It is always an achievement to beat Taufik. I am happy to have done it (beating Taufik) for a second time (after winning at the 2005 Indonesian Open). I played a patient game but it was a pity Taufik was not in his best condition,” said Simon, the world number 11.

“I am currently behind Taufik and Sony (Dwi Kuncoro) in the world rankings but I am still dreaming of making the cut for the Beijing Olympics. I will go all out to do well this year.

“Chong Wei is more stable in his game. Our record stands at 2-2. It will not be easy but I will definitely be out to get him.”

Taufik did not want to use his back problem as an excuse, saying: “Credit should be given to Simon. Beating your fellow countryman is understandable. Simon must also try to beat the other top guns in the world.”
    Meanwhile, the challenge of KLRC Bhd’s Sairul Amar Ayob ended yesterday when he went down fighting 20-22, 21-5, 17-21 to South Korean Shon Seung-mo.

from The Star, on LCW's match against Wacha, Simon match against Taufik

7. eaglehelang

You mean you? Wanna help translate articles? Sure you run away fast if I say that.

8. eaglehelang

from NST

Badminton/Malaysia Open 2008: World class singles players in short supply in Indonesia

18 January, 2008

INDONESIA'S chances of producing men's singles world champions in the near future look bleak, according to Taufik Hidayat's coach Mulyo Handoyo. Mulyo said that none of the current back-up shuttlers in the Indonesian national team have the potential to emulate Taufik's exploits on the world stage.

According to Mulyo, Taufik is a rare talent and presently none can walk in his shadow.

"I have searched high and low for a player like Taufik but to no avail," said Mulyo at Putra Stadium.

"Senior players like Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Simon Santoso are good but they have reached their limit. Even the junior team led by Tommy Sugiarto are not making much progress."

Taufik, 27, was discovered by Mulyo at the SGS club in Bandung in 1996 when the player was only 15.

Since then Mulyo has guided Taufik every step of the way culminating with an Olympic gold in Athens.

On whether Taufik will be able to return to his best for the Beijing Olympics, Mulyo said the player has been working hard to improve his strength and fitness to the level which won him the gold medal in the 2004 Athens Olympics.

"Taufik's dream is to retain the Olympic title in Beijing. Although he is the defending champion, he will not be under any pressure this time as players like Lin Dan, Bao Chunlai and Lee Chong Wei will be the main focus in the Olympics.

"I believe if the best of Taufik emerges in Beijing, he will retain the gold medal."

9. eaglehelang

from NST

On line-judging

Badminton/Malaysia Open 2008: Players call for neutral umpires, TV replays

18 January, 2008

SEVERAL top shuttlers, who have been victims of bias line calls in the past, want the introduction of neutral line judges and the use of 'hawkeye' television replays at the Beijing Olympic in August.

Athens Olympics men's singles champion Taufik Hidayat, who has been an outspoken critic on the issue of biased line judges and umpires, alleged tournaments marred by questionable line calls were mainly in China, South Korea and Hong Kong.

"I have experienced it so many times especially when I play against the shuttlers from host country. These countries will do anything in their power to ensure their players get to the podium," said the Taufik, the 2005 world champion and two-time Asian Games gold medallist.

"I'm really sick and tired of competing in these countries and that is why I will not be playing in the Korea Open (Jan 22-27). They do not know that they are tarnishing the sport by doing it."

Taufik predicts that if nothing is done soon, the Beijing Olympics will also be marred by bad line calls.

Denmark's doubles specialists Jonas Rasmussen agreed with Taufik.

"The BWF (Badminton World Federation) should look at the options available. My personal opinion is that we should use television replays for close decisions," said Rasmussen.

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Noooo..

..your other buddy (see content of articles #62 & 64))...:p ;);)

11. mahzan

mahzan Regular Member

project construction manager
    During LCW vs Wacha, there was an IN ball but was called out by lineswoman. LCW standup n said it was IN to the umpire. Wacha was ferious with the line lady!!! And u know what happened next? Umpire overule the lines call.
    I was seated w a few European fella right behind LCW. He said...u would not get that type of change in line call if u are in China!!!
    We saw it clearly...it was IN!!! Way IN!!! The line lady was day dreaming r in awed with Wacha's tight butt!!!! hehe

Yes, I agreed with the technology to be used....get rid of all those discrepancies and awful calls!!

12. eaglehelang

Can tell us about KKK/TBH match with Lars/Jonas (if you watched it) but in the other thread : Day 3: Round 2 thread.

13. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Now, how do you know Wacha's butt is tight...did you squeeze it? :p:D

14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

damn funny...:D:D:p:cool::):):p:p:D:D
    ahhahahh

15. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    no it was too shiny.............heheheheh.................:D:D:D:D:D

16. eaglehelang

From the Star, 20 Jan 2008

Four doubles players stride out on their own

FOUR men’s doubles players – Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock and Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui – quit the national team on Friday to seek a change of fortune in their pursuits for individual glory.

The 25-year-old Teik Chai said they had tendered their resignation to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) officials on Friday.

In their absence, the remaining men’s pairs left in the elite squad are Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah and Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong.

While Teik Chai and Woon Fui may follow in the footsteps of Chan Chong Ming-Chew Choon Eng and find their own sponsors to compete in international tournaments, Bin Shen-Soon Hock have had talks with professional club KLRC Bhd.

The 25-year-old Teik Chai said they decided to leave because they felt that they had no future with the BAM and wanted to start afresh elsewhere.

“Yes, I am leaving. I have no future with the BAM. I am 25 years old and am ranked fifth in the national team (with Woon Fui). There is no opportunity for us with the BAM,” said Teik Chai.

“But I can’t blame anyone on this. I am not blaming BAM either. Instead, I thank them for taking care of us for a long time. But I have no results to show for. So, there is nothing for me to fight for here.”

He said he would give himself a year before deciding on his future as a badminton player.

“For now, Woon Fui and I will be out to find sponsors. We will see how we fare in international tournaments. Maybe, there will be a change of fortune when we are out there,” he said.

“I think, we have reached a junction where you either turn right or left. Well, we have decided to leave the BAM. It was great while it lasted.”

Well, well, no 4 & no 5 MD are leaving, sorta expected. One turn left, the other turn right.

Meanwhile, there are 3 back-up/junior pairs waiting in the wings - Razif/Khoo, Chan PS/CHang HP, Lim/Mak.

#76 eaglehelang, Jan 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  17. eaglehelang

From the Star

Chong Wei meets former master’s prodigy in the final
    By RAJES PAUL

JUST a year ago, national top men’s singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei was still a student learning the tricks of the trade from his master, Li Mao of China.

Then, they parted ways.

Today, Chong Wei will come face-to-face with his former mentor’s latest prodigy – South Korean Lee Hyun-il – in the men’s singles final of the Malaysian Open badminton championships at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil.

Yesterday, Chong Wei and Hyun-il took different routes to reach the final.
    Chong Wei had to haul himself back from being 1-6 and 19-20 down in the first game to beat China’s Chen Yu 25-23, 21-11 while Hyun-il gave a polished display to upstage Kenneth Jonassen of Denmark 21-15 21-18 in the semi-finals.

Chong Wei’s quest for a fourth Malaysian Open title looked to be slipping away in the first game against Chen Yu. But, as usual, being the true fighter that he is, the Malaysian staged an impressive fightback to win 25-23.

The second game was all about the Malaysian and victory was never in doubt.

“I am thoroughly satisfied with my performance today (yesterday),” said the 25-year-old Chong Wei.

“Chen Yu pushed me to the limit in the first game but I am happy to have prevailed. The hard-fought win in the first game gave me the confidence that I needed

“I have been improving in every match. Hopefully, I will be able to go all the way and win it tomorrow (today).”

If Chong Wei manages to pull it off, he will be only the second Malaysian to win the most number of titles in the history of the Malaysian Open. The late Wong Peng Soon holds the record with eight titles under his belt.

Chong Wei may go into today’s final as the favourite, but Hyun-il has an ace up his sleeve in the form of Li Mao.

Li Mao certainly has the inside knowledge on Chong Wei’s game after coaching the Malaysian for two years before moving to South Korea in February last year.

In fact, Li Mao was Chong Wei’s coach at last year’s Malaysian Open when the Malaysian failed to go beyond the last eight.

“Yes, it will be quite odd to play against Hyun-il tomorrow (today). I know Li Mao will be sitting on the opposite side but then we are both professionals,” he said.

“Li Mao certainly knows a lot about my game and that could prove to be an advantage for Hyun-il. But I will be ready for them.

“Hyun-il plays a patient game and can last very long on court. I did not play against him at all last year but I expect our clash to be physically challenging.

“Last year, our doubles players won here. This year it’s the singles player’s turn. We – the singles and doubles – support each other,” added Chong Wei.

Meanwhile, Malaysia’s Wong Mew Choo failed to exact revenge on defending champion and world champion Zhu Lin of China when she went down 19-21, 12-21 in the semi-finals.

“I am not satisfied with my performance today. We were tied at 19-19 in the first game but I could not stay steady and made silly mistakes. She certainly played better,” said Mew Choo, who lost to Zhu Lin in the last year’s final.
    With Mew Choo’s defeat, Malaysia’s 43-year wait for a woman champion continues.

18. eaglehelang

from NST

Badminton: Azalina: BAM should be compensated

20 January, 2008

AS supportive as the BA of Malaysia is to the growth of clubs, it must not be at the expense of "pinching" players from the national body. In fact, Sports Minister Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said has even urged BAM to consider seeking compensation as public funds have been used to develop the players.

BAM doubles pairs Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock and Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui are the latest to pitch their tent with local club KLRC Bhd, which comes on the heels of former doubles ace Cheah Soon Kit joining as chief coach.

Hafiz Hashim, who is attached to another club - Nusa Mahsuri - has also been made a verbal offer by KLRC.

"We have always encouraged clubs but with two major events this year (the Thomas Cup in May and Beijing Olympics in August), we don't want our programmes to be disturbed," said BAM president Datuk Nadzmi Salleh yesterday.

"Pinching players is not what clubs are supposed to be doing and BAM has to review its open system."

Azalina was even more blunt.

"I am a committed supporter of clubs but their role is at the grassroots. If clubs insist on taking players from the national body, then I suppose BAM has to make things right.

"I am shocked that monetary gain is more important than national pride. The government has invested in these players and BAM should seek compensation," said Azalina.

Conflicting info on where Gan/Lin going but intv the Star got with Gan should be most accurate.

19. badMania

badMania Regular Member

All right...so Rexy definitely has less headache with those non-performing pairs ;)

Once again....can't resist writing this one here....."KLRC BOLEH!!!" :p

20. morphy

morphy Regular Member

Aren't those 2 statements a bit contradictory? :confused: Might even say its hypocritical but thats a bit strong..

#80 morphy, Jan 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2008