MP99 vs. AT800-DF

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by cheung31, Apr 30, 2005.

1. cheung31

cheung31 Regular Member

hey guys, i'm going to be buying a new racket in the near future, and my best deal would be from sumsai03 at ebay. now i've narrowed it down between the MP99 and the AT800-DF because from what i've heard, these 2 are more 'all-around' (which is what i'd prefer) compared to the AT800-OF or AT700. Also i've played with the MP99 and i personally loved it. I usually play singles, and smash quite often. However having manuverability in defence, and such is a another preference.

anyway, my question is comparing mp99 vs at800-df (all 3u/g4) which racket has the advantage on:

- overall power
    - smash power
    - defence (blocking smash) & recovery
    - drive
    - control
    - manuverability

any other remarks about the 2 would also be nice THX!

#1 cheung31, Apr 30, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  2. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT

It is difficult to choose between these two racquets because they share similar characteristics. I've both myself - imo, AT800DF is more head heavy than MP99, as a result, I found MP99 slightly more manuverable and has fast defense. In contrast, AT800DF is slightly more powerful than MP99.

One problem of MP99 3U, however, is its poor durability. Fyi, I've broken 3 so far. I think the Armotech series may be better on this.

Anyway, I think you'll be happy with either one.

3. cheung31

cheung31 Regular Member

Ricky, are you saying that mp99 2U might be more durable? and also how did they break, and what string tension were you using.

4. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    MP99 2U should be more durable than MP99 3U, but 2U racket gives different feel from 3U, and I prefer 3U myself.

I used string tension of 24/25 lbs. 2 of them were broken after racket clash with other people racket (but their racket didn't break) and the 3rd one was broken after the racket had hit the ground accidentally (not so hard).

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I think these are probably the two best rackets you can buy. Of course, that's a subjective opinion - best for me is not necessarily best for you :D

Anyway, it's hard to go wrong with such well-rounded rackets. I recently made exactly the same choice - mp99 or At800 DE?

The only good way to choose is to try them both, and see how they feel to you.

I chose the At800 DE, but mine is 4U. I prefer it (slightly) to the mp99, because it is more maneuverable. The power seems about the same.

6. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

Yea, even though no much pros use the at800df, a friend who works in a badminton shop told me at800df is better then at700, as its easier to clear to baselines and quick replies. But mp99 is a solid stiff racket that gives shuttles that extra punch.