Moving from even balance to head heavy

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Cameron01, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Cameron01

Cameron01 Regular Member

So I currently use the Yonex Duora 10 (the original lee chong wei blue and red edition) and I am thinking of buying an Astrox 88D, now i just want to know what it's like to move from an even balance racket to a head heavy racket and how it will affect my game?

2. Michel Aupin

Michel Aupin Regular Member

3u or 4u? What are you missing on your duora10?
    It's hard to answer your question... It depends a lot on your technique, your strength, your swing, etc... The 88D is quite HH.. It is going to be more tiring on your arm, your defense will get a bit slower. Your smash might get better, maybe not. Some player will hit stronger and/or easier with headlight racket. For sure, you will need some time to adap fully to the racket, a couple of weeks / month. Or it might just be too heavy for you. At least, stiffness won't be an issue as they should be almost the same.

It's funny cause I did the exact same thing as you are about to do. I sold my Duora 10 for 88D. Duora 10 was good at everything. I found the 88D to be better for attack (smash, drop shots, drives and even my net game was better), but the defense suffer a bit with the 3u but was still acceptable. It's also demanding on your arm on a tournament.

Best thing is to try it first if it is possible.

Good luck!

3. Cameron01

Cameron01 Regular Member

I do really love the duora 10, I love the power of it but I often find I cannot feel the head and I was wondering if I moved to a racket with more weight in the head will I be able to have more feel and thus more control?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

4. Michel Aupin

Michel Aupin Regular Member

more feel yes, more control, i don't know. Personnally, my touch at the net was better with a HH racket. Drop shots are also better as I feel the racket in the air.

But try it first, it is quite HH. Maybe the 88S might be as good choice as well as it is less HH. It seems to be the replacement of the Arcsaber11 which is quite similar to thre duora10. But I only played with it a couple of times.

5. Cameron01

Cameron01 Regular Member

Yeah that's what I really need in my play, I'm not a precise type of player I focus more on the power aspect and trying to get the shuttle to go as fast as possible rather than as close to the lines without going out. It's shots like drops and netshots where I really struggle and I think it's due to a lack of feel and not being able to tell how I hit the shuttle and when

6. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    if you can't demo the ones you're interested in, try duo10 with lead tape as a quick/cheap experiment in head heaviness.

7. Cameron01

Cameron01 Regular Member

How effective is lead tape, does it damage the racket, will it affect the swing of racket and will it drastically change how quick I can handle the racket in e.g. defence?

8. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    It will mimic/approximate more head heaviness in character, varying on where you place it (clock hours) on the racquet head. It's tape you can peel it off .

9. garchu

garchu New Member

In Denmark 2018, Matthias Boe's racket has a tape on top on his Astrox 88S.
    Does anyone know what kind of tape did he use?
    I tried to avoid a lead tape since it looks quite harmful (link or BC thread).
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

10. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    if i had to guess i would say yonex power balance

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Nah, it's just a half strip of regular white athletes tape. That length would weigh around 1g.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

offbad likes this.
  12. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

The link you provided already mentioned the precautionary measures when applying and disposing the lead tape. No need to worry ;)