Moving from 4U Even Balance

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by DarkHiatus, Aug 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

So you got a lot of suggestions on Yonex and Victor and I'll just tell you about some Babolat Options since I'm one of the few people around here who is kinda familiar with them and sometimes, there are great deals (at least in Germany, don't know about the UK). This also eliminates the question about 3U and 4U, because Babolat doesn't care for it.

First racket that came to mind was the

Babolat X-Feel Power
    (2016 and 2018 are the same for all X-Feel rackets, it's just a different colorway)
    It's an even balanced racket, but on the stiffer side. The X-Feel range still has a slightly thicker shaft, which I like in some ways, because the flex seems to be more predictable. They all have an oval (not just non-isometric, but really very oval) head shape, which is quite compact and has a quite aerodynamic profile, so the swing on all of them is faster than expected. I really enjoyed the racket when I tried it (only for a short time), but I already knew the feel of that oval head....

the Babolat X-Feel Essential...
    is even balanced and way to flexible for my liking, but I know quite a few people who absolutely love this racket. Reading that you don't like very stiff rackets, while I love them, this was the second one that came into mind. This leads me to the...

Reviews of the X-Feel rackets

Babolat Satelite 6.5 (Team) Essential
    (again, 2015 and 2017 are identical underneath the paint)
    With and without the "Team" in the name is supposedly a different racket, but I doubt that. I didn't have the chance to do a side by side comparison, but when I tried it without "Team" after recomending the "Team" Version to @s_mair, it felt exactly like I remembered the Team version to be. It's right on the boarder between 3U and 4U and is very easy to play with. It has some flex to it, so even beginners enjoyed it, but not so much to put me off and I think this is an amazing balance (the VTZFII could be stiffer for me). The Satelite 6.5 range always has an isometric head shape, a pretty slim profile with a very slim, but even more so stable T-Joint (almost magic). It's a very very boxy frame at the bottom being quite aerodynamic at the top. I use the Satelite 6.5 Blast, so here are some pictures comparing it to the Yonex Voltric Z-Force II:
    PICT_20180612_112255.JPG PICT_20180612_105328.JPG PICT_20180612_105612.JPG PICT_20180612_112538.JPG
    The Babolat's head is a little wider at the bottom, but not really taller. This seems to be the regular Babolat head shape.

Babolat Satelite 6.5 Power
    I have not actually played with it and considering that the Essention doesn't have too much flex, I don't think it really should be considered, but if you get to try it, give it a chance. It should be similar, but slightly stiffer.

Reviews of the Babolat Satelite 6.5 rackets

Now, I'll come back to your questions about weight, flex and weight distribution... I don't think you should focus on weight too much, like s_mair said, it's the headweight that you need to be concerned about. I currently use the Babolat Satelite 6.5 Blast. It's on the Z-Force II side of stiffness and head weight, but all people who normally use even balanced, mid-flex to mid-stiff rackets have really enjoyed playing with it. One even asked if he could buy my three rackets, because I got a great price on them. Before that, I played with a head heavy 5U racket and switching back to (this not so easy) 3U did not have any negative effect on my defence. Maybe I'm just strange.
    I can easily adapt to rackets with a little less headweight, but I did never fully adapt (after like two weeks) to the more flexible X-Feel Essential, so for me, it's the flex that is more complicated to adapt to.

Why do I recommend Babolat rackets? Well, I got mine for 70€ each, sometimes they even are on sale for 60€ in Germany (easier to get when you know shop owners, but sometimes even available online) and that is a steal. The quality is great and Babolat knows what it's doing when making rackets. They use different stringing patterns and you will feel the difference, especially when hitting at the top, but I still get good feedback of whats happening on my strings. Stringing wise, you are forced to tie off at (in my opinion) not ideal holes, but using slightly larger knots does the trick. For the X-Feel rackets, you probably cannot use one piece pattern, but I don't care about that. The sownside is that they use special grommets on that range (Satelite grommets are regular, but pretty good quality, I'd say), so you won't get those. You can probably exchange those for regular grommets, but it will destroy the nice an clean looks of it. BUT I know someone who has been running his X-Feel Essentials for almost 4 Years now (he is sponsored and got them before release) with BG 66 UM @ 13.5 kp and he never had to change his grommets. Those special grommets are just awesome in some ways, making it even worse that it seems to be impossible to get them. Still, they were the main reason for me to choose the Satelite 6.5 Blast over the X-Feel Blast which I enjoyed at least as much. babolat doesn't promote their rackets to have some great advanced tech, but they seem to still use the right materials. Overall, I'd say all this tech talk is highly overrated anyway.
    I'd still say the rackets are totally worth their money for their regular price (around 100 and 120 € here in Germany), but the discounts you might get are out of this world.

I'm not saying that you should only look at Babolat, just be aware that there are other options than Yonex, Li Ning and Victor. Good luck with your search!

Zaggy21, Mr Arc2 and s_mair like this.
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

Agree with @s_mair
    You really need to measure your bare head weight to get your preferred specs. Then it's a matter of finding one with a medium to medium stiff shaft.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

3. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

I use a pair of Protech racquets right now, which is why I referred to them as 4U even throughout the thread. Will measure head weight when the next one pops...which can't be long since I put one at 30lbs for fun.

The reason I generally go for Victor/Yonex is not because I'm a massive fanboy, it's simply because they're easier to resell.

I think I've bought and sold 3U/4U versions of VT70, VT80, ZF2, TK9900 and generally don't lose more than £5 per racquet after getting to try them out for months/years at a time. Their resale value is incredible, especially when considering buying used.

As for Babolat...as a stringer, I really don't like them. They look great but the faff for stringing is annoying. It's also the only brand of racquet that has broken outside of a racquet clash, and I don't think an X-feel should be collapsing at 24lbs with a mishit on the frame. That's possibly isolated so it's mainly the stringing that annoys me!

I think I've decided I'll be trying out:
    3U BS12
    3U ARC11
    3U DUO10
    3U DUO8XP
    3U AX88S
    4U TK6000

In honesty, I'd like the DUO8XP to work out, as it is the only compact frame, and looks like a wonderful futureproof racquet with high tension limit.

My gut feel tells me that I'm going to end up with DUO10s, assuming I can get rid of my racquet spinning habits. Otherwise it'll be BS12!/Arc11 (boo, how boring...)

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If the trade off is playing better and getting more points, I will take that over the latest glitziest and sexy racquet .

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Not even trying one of the Li-Nings?

Really easy to resell too btw.

6. DarkHiatus

Just too hard to get and resell in the UK. Generally need two of a frame too :/

7. DarkHiatus

Any thoughts on Duora Z-Strike or even Nanoray Z-speed as alternatives? I do really prefer compact frames, and these appear to be more numerous than Duora 8XP

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Just to make sure that @DuckFeet's suggestion doesn't drown unnoticed - what about the JS10? IMO still the best compact frame racket that has ever touched a shuttle. Should also be easy to get as test racket.

Z-Strike is an awesome racket if it suits you and/or you're having a good day. But it can turn out to be your worst enemy on a bad day.

9. Jay Ng

Jay Ng Regular Member

Currently have a Duora Z-strike which is my go to racquet even though I have 2 more Astrox 77 racquets in my bag. Since taking up badminton again last year, I’ve gone from the Arcsaber 11 to the 77 and now the Z-Strike. I was in HK recently so it was a no brainer to pick up another 77 to keep as a spare but saw the Z-Strike and bought it on a whim.

Z-strike is 3U G5 and Astrox 77 are both 3U G4. Currently strung with BG80 and BG80 power @ 26lb.

I don’t have problems clearing from the back with both the Z-strike and 77 but most noticeable difference between the racquets is that I find the Z-strike is easier to react with on defensive shots and the 77 is easier to get winning smashes with.

S_mair is right about the good and bad days with the Z-strike but I’m sure that can be said for most racquets but the Z-strike is probably less forgiving which is probably why I haven’t sold the Astro77s.

Incidentally, I played a men’s singles “Round robin” competition a few months ago. 12 players playing more or less back to back games
    Never had any arm pain whilst playing with the Z-strike even to the end. Obviously I was sore all over afterwards but I think that’s a given considering I’m 47!

I think you’d really enjoy the Z-strike but definitely worth buying if you know someone going to HK as it’s a lot cheaper!