most badminton players are sucko !!!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wins, Jul 9, 2001.

1. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Thanks for the answer. But let me add a few specific details. This class A player just joined a tournament. He is partnered with another class A player. They lost. He reasoned out that they lost because he's been practicing with class B players. I really couldn't react because it's true that they wouldn't get the practice they needed because of our limited skills. But I feel like it's still unfair to blame it on us. Is it?

I guess this is another case why stronger players won't play with weaker players. It's lonely at the top.

I play with beginners. And I share with them whatever I learned from badminton. But sometimes, when players better than I see me teaching beginners, they'd start this talk that I'm a know-it-all. That's why sometimes, I just try to shut up. It's like a lot of good players don't want others to improve. They're the only ones who should be the best.

I love badminton, and I share what I learn from here to those who want to learn. It's just so sad that there are people who'd make something bad out of the good things I'm doing. No good deed goes unpunished. :mad:

2. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    As most people here really want to take things to the extreme. No one in here even said they're are strong and don't want to play with weaker level. Some and including myself do not (of course if nobody feel the same way i do then sorry, i'll take it as myself only) want to play with players that level are just way under me, something like 21 - 0 everytime without even trying. I don't see that's a good fun time at all.

However, PLEASE read this part carefully before putting words in my mouth. Anyone that able to get at least 5 point when i play serious, that person would not consider as the level that I dont' want to play. Even though that person is lower level, but if that's what type of games i'm going to get, then i'll be happy to play with them.

To answer question that playing with LOWER level (around 10 - 15 points under your level) then it sure does drag your "level" down a bit if you keep playing with that level for a long period of time.

And one more thing that is really annoying. Some people up there keep saying stuffs like people in this forum are awful. "telling lower level to quit" ?
    wow who said that? Lower level people can always find or search for the RIGHT level to play with. why quit? Stop with the exaggeration stuffs.

One last thing, about higher level do not want to teach lower level. True some people are like that, especially people who think like that. For me, if a lower level happen to come up to me and ask how to do this and how to do that. If something that is simple, then i'll show, but if it is something out of my ability to "explain" then forget it. Because remember that sometime you can do it, but you can't actually able to explain it. If everybody able to do that, then there wouldn't be coaches to start with. Players would teach among themselves.

3. passiontea

passiontea Regular Member

Hi bro, i understand your feelings cause i once experienced it. However, this 'class A' player must be really retard or just plain blaming you for his loss.

Cause u see, no matter how much the 'class A' player play with 'class B' players, they will always retain the same standard of strokes and movement.
    Also, if he knows that he is joining a competition, why did he go and practice with the 'class B' people? Don't worry about this kind of guys/girls cause when they lose, they don't blame it on themself, they blame it on the factors surrounding them.

Also, it is unless your good friends or friends that been hanging out with u for a long time. It is most advisable to keep your comments to yourself because some people love to have comments about their games, while MOST of them don't like it. So best, just go and improve and play your game and in the mean while, keep your comments/opinion to yourself. =)

I been in the same situation before and i know how it feels, but people who are 100x better than me, advised me all this, so i just want to share with you that u are not alone and this is a few pointers i could come up with.

Dont worry about it, it is more of just playing your own game and ignoring this people.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    No improvement could be attained because all training partners are of lower skills

Hi venkatesh,

After reading your later posts, your question has become clearer. It's about training partners.

Of course, a higher standard player cannot blame lower standard training partner(s). Just imagine the No.1 player of a country (including Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei, etc...), and/or the No.1 player of a club complaining that no improvement could be attained because all his/her training partners are below his/her skills.

However, if your class A players wish to face more pressure during training, then get 4 class B players to play against them. Have a training with 4-against-2.

#144 chris-ccc, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  5. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    i wouldn't take it too offensively that the higher ranked player says that playing lower ranked players is dragging them down. badminton is a game u have to keep up the pace to keep at the same level and/or improve.

however, if the guy didn't prep for the tournament like he should of... then I don't think he should be blaming you lower ranked players on his poor training plan prior to the tourney.

______

I can have fun playing with any rank of players.... it is only when I'm seriously trying to train myself to get better and prep for tournaments that it would be better for me to play same/higher ranked players. You still can improve by playing with slightly lower skilled players but the improvement you can make is much more limited than training with same/higher level players.

6. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    I suggest not to teach beginners when you are in a club environment, especially when you are NOT qualified to be a coach. Just send them the link to a badminton training video site, and ask them to watch it themselves. If necessary, just talk about it in private, but make sure you actually do understand what you are talking about though.

I have seen so many people who aren't even close to the level to give advice to anyone, and they give out advice that aren't even right to others. It's almost like a taxi driver giving out stock investing tips to his customers.:rolleyes:

7. passiontea

well, i disagree, you dont HAVE to be qualified to be a coach to teach. If you are a advance player or national player, but u are not a qualified coach, u cant teach other? No right?

8. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Dude... if you are a national player, then skill wise you are qualified, but can you explain clearly without confusion is another thing.

Advance player? If you ask around any recreational club, half of the people will tell you that they are advance players or close to being one.. how do you tell the difference? If you check the profile of most Badmintoncentral members, at least 75% will tell you that they are intermediate level, but most of them will ask questions or argue a technical point that are simply ridiculous

If you are not qualified to coach, then unless someone comes to you with a question, otherwise don't act like a hero and try to teach someone... you only make yourself look like a fool, and possibly teach someone some wrong ideas.

9. passiontea

Oh, I am sorry!, i didn't know that only QUALIFIED coach can teach and not players that are of high standard and can explain clearly without confusion teach! Do enlightened me.

10. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    lol... i feel im in that category ur talking bout xP

then again, i ask tech questions to get a wider view of how people around the world (in this forum) play/go about their badminton. Styles vary, but the pros' form, technique, and stamina are all within a range or so.

i find many ppl i consider still beginners would consider themselves intermediate as well. it's subjective... don't stress over it... cuz u can decifer from what they say, etc... what level player they are anyways.

11. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Sucko or not, most players will love to play at least at their level (or higher). I do too so appreciate when playing with someone better.

As a result, I rarely turn down any game that works the other way. To make it easy, most players are better to much better than me, and I need more exercise.

12. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I have to agree to this. There are a lot out there who teach inadequeate tactics or incorrect style.

Once I heard this class A player teaching his partner that when he smashes (the partner), he should run to the front to catch the drop shot defense. I know that this is a case to case basis. But I felt bad for the partner because he had to run all the way from the rear court to the front court. Sometimes, he gets caught if the receiver of the smash makes a high defensive shot. Usually, in the match that I watch, the smasher stays at the back, and the partner goes near the net to intercept weak returns.

And yes. Your advise is right. I only share what I learn from here only to those who are interested to listen. And I usually refer this site, youtube, badmintonbible, etc. And I do it in private as much as possible, like when we're sitting on the bench or something. But sometimes, people overhear, and then they smirk.

And yes. Certified coaches are more qualified to teach. But I don't teach. I just share. It's up to them if they'd agree to it or not. I just make sure that when I say something, it's backed up with a good and logical explanation, w/c could usually be found in the sites that I mentioned.

13. shihman

shihman Regular Member

i think everyone has make some good points. correct or not that's subjective.

first i do agree that most badminton players are bit of a snob when it comes to play with new comers. but this is just human nature and it is the same in most of other sports, especially group sport, as well. reason being that when we get together, it is not just about badminton. it is also time for friends to have fun and to catch up. when a new comer comes, we tend to reject regardless of his/her ability. also this person's knowledge of etiquettes in badminton and a player's style/habits that make us think twice before accepting them.

second, i am sure in any group there are better players than other. so in this case we are not suckos. because like i said, we are friends and we play together regardless of our abilities. there are always ways to make a game challenging and interesting when better players play against lesser players. i used to have a friend, who were also my teacher, in my group. he is so much advanced that when we play doubles, we always pair him with the weakest player or we would play 2 against 1. but when he does play with players in his own level, it doesn't offends me a bit if he doesn't ask me to play. i know everyone say that they want to play with good players, but think about it, is it really fun when you are out matched in every phase of the game?! when you can't return any smashes, can't move fast enough forward to retrieve a drop shot or back for an attacking lob, don't know where to position yourself in a double's match or simply can't keep a rally going. now i disagree with the part about one can only coach if you are a qualified coach. my friend was on the junior national team when he was younger and i would definitely think he is qualified to teach and i would listen. he taught me what he learned from his coach and now i passed that knowledge on to my other friends. i am not reinventing the wheel or creating new style/ways to hit certain shots. so i do believe you can and should teach lesser players for them to get better.

now lastly, i also do agree with when a class A player play with a class B player, the A player's game does suffer a bit. but not when playing with B players because the A player should already be faster, stronger and more knowledgeable as to where to go and when to hit certain shots than the B player. the suffering comes in the form of reaction time when A players play with B players too long. but that will only show up when a A player plays another A player. but it is only matter of time before he/she gets the timing back because everything else is already instinctive.

14. qkyeong

qkyeong Regular Member

Maybe the group i am in is an odd ball, we like to play with new people. All of us have this idea that new comer brings in new set of play style, and it is interesting to see a different game.

15. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

You might have misread. New players as in folks who just start off in the game. Not new faces.

16. shihman

shihman Regular Member

you guys are not odd ball at all. i agree with you about playing with new ppl that bring different styles of playing but it is only interesting and beneficial if the new comer is relatively in the same level as you guys. otherwise, a beginner will bring nothing to the game. i too like to play with different ppl in my level or better, if they are willing to play with me. :D so yes by saying that, i guess that makes me a sucko too.