most badminton players are sucko !!!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wins, Jul 9, 2001.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    just like anything, there are a few bad apples in any situation.
    There some guys told me that they don't play in certain clubs (ex. U of C) because U of C guys don't play with them. Later on, i see these same guys in other clubs hogging best court and playing among themselves exclusively from start to end of every session.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    hahahahah...so true!

3. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Competitive advanced player's ego

Sorry to revive this old thread. Did a search and this came out.

Was playing with a group of advanced level player for the 1st time, couldn't read their game at 1st.

There are 3 of the advanced level player happen to need another player, and all but the intermediates/beginners began to 'siam' or avoid eye contact. So I joined them.

Game was fast, each low serve was driven/push with pace to the centre or corner.
    Rarely have time to smash full blast but reverted to 'weaker' backhand drives/push.

Majority of shots are drives/smashes and very fast paced.

I made quite a number of errors as I hesitated a bit if my partner will cover my back. My clever opponent keep sending the shuttle to the middle backcourt/drop middle frontcourt to confuse me.

Lost the game 10-15. I probably cost 70% of the mistakes and won maybe only 30% of the points.

My partner was visibly angry and kick/stomp the shuttlecock. He openly told me to my face of his displeasure.

His skill level is pretty high as he can reliably do all the tricks/basic of a Pro player. He also has an elegant jumpsmash/drop.

But his ego is very high as he has alpha male mentality, stands about 1.82 meters tall and quite muscular. Ultra competitve and will sacrifice his body (dive) to catch every shot. He can even reliably perform the behind the back/between the leg return of smash under pressure.

Sigh, anyway, I guess this is nothing compared to the tongue lashing by Misbun Sidek to his charges.

C'est la vie or (boh pian, local term)

4. vittorio790

vittorio790 Regular Member

Partnering a player who has higher skill level than you(and is competitive) is tough, cos i think there is an expectation on you to step up and play certain shots you might not be used to playing. Gets even tougher if your opponents are quality players.
    But overall, i think you should improve after playing with them for a while(since you get used to the faster pace). like you say, boh pian, if u want to improve fast then stick with it.

5. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    IMO most shots are used at all levels. The difference between beginners/intermediates/advanced/pro players is consistency and shot selection, everbody can play the shot. How often can you hit that shot, do you use it at the right time. Playing against the better players this comes naturally overtime (mostly shot selection)

6. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I can only play badminton once a week and for the PRECIOUS TWO hours, I prefer to have a good time...

Good time do not mean I win 21-0 but Good Time mean that I can play against some worthy opponent and give my all and yet I might not win...

for that precious 2hours I prefer not to "Catch Butterfly" with begineer. If I can play 2-3times a week I dun mind catching butterfly!

7. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    Playing with a different skill players are boring period.
    Not that i'm cocky or anything, but that is the fact.
    2 different skill levels are not meant to be playing each other.
    Let's say sibugichai, he/she (sorry can't tell) only able to play once a week, and he has to play around with low lvl player that he/she doesn't have to work as much, then his skill will be drop down also.
    Don't think it's true? that happen to me, I played at community college (just to ease down my hunger for badminton) but because playing with lower level i've become lazy, my smashes power drop down, as well as other aspect of my shots.

2nd. It is just too boring just to stand in one spot or walking around on your side of the court and hit upward motion, like pretty much clear all the time. Playing the game you love or like suppose to be fun not boring.

8. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Unless you are terminally plagued by poor players around, you just suck it up. Be a sportsman, dont discourage people from playing with you. If you are stuck in a place with only low level people, go to another club. You're wasting your money if you are not enjoying yourself and making others feel bad.

We are all lucky to have played with peopel who are much better than us when we were newbies, and they didn't whine when we were much worse than them, and they weren't exerting themselves. Don't be a jerk and wreck it for others. It's not all about youYOUYOU, think about other people.

9. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I totally agree with this. For the first part of my badminton life, I came to gym and warm up the bench for others. Most of the time I only get to hit on the side or lucky enough to get the court for the first 5 min before the good people come or 5 min after the good people left.

However that only strive me to become a better player. Now that I'm a decent player, I usually say yes if they come and ask me to play. The only time that I say no is when I'm waiting for game or something. When I play with the lower level, I reduce the pace and everything. I still play the technical shots and everything, just minus the pace. My goal is to get them/help them increase their playing ability. That way, the standard level will increase all around.

10. SibugiChai

YAB
    Most players try to be kind and play with begineer but if u can only spend 2hours per week for badminton like me. Your mentality might change!

11. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    i dont see why its a problem playing with low level players...i think its great to help them out and give them a higher quality game.
    Remember how it feels when you get to play with a bunch of players a league above you??? You may get smashed and struggle but its a huge privelege to even be standing on court with these pro guys!!!

Thats how most lower levelers feel if they get the chance to play a level up so dont be so up yourself and give them that satisfaction which will help them improve!
    If you hate it so bad find somewhere else to play and stop whinging lol

12. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Uhh.....I get that too. Not to mention there are rotations so I only end up playing like 1 hour or something. I don't really mind if I have to spend a round or two playing with people at a lower level.

13. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    Thats exactly how I feel, sometimes I don't like playing with them but I don't make it known. Even over this summer I've been playing with higher level players then me and it's really boosted my game. How are people meant to improve if there playing against the same players week in, week out?

14. SibugiChai

YAB
    the truth is if given a choice... most players would prefer to play with player equal o better than them.

But if we play with lower level player, its not polite to make unpleasant attitude.

But I wont join them the next time :)

15. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    As personal OPINION, i play something to enjoy my time, should be worth it. And definition of worth it = i get to improve.
    Without improvement I see that is like a boring thing to do. I don't tend to spend whole bunch of time and not getting myself improve. That's not fun that's not worth it. Rather spend time doing something else.
    Therefore, I do not LIKE to play with low level. Of course no that doesn't mean I need to play with people that able to beat me only. And NO a game that 10 - 15 points away in rally system is not a low level. That just mistake and alittle under you. There still competition.
    When i consider as low level means totally different league. Which mean I will always beat that person 21 - 1, 2, or 3 all the time without trying now that's all the time. And i can see that is not fun.

16. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    For the purpose of not making the long post.
    I do not like to TEACH people who doesn't want to be teach.
    I think it is a stupid thing to teach people when they're suck. Only teach when they actually open up their mouth and ask me to teach them. Because by not asking you mean they don't want to. Why even bother.

17. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    true true... but u can "teach" without having to even 'announce' it... play easier on them but make it challenging for the opponent to score points. (assuming u are better) Object is to challenge their weaknesses and make the game last, whether or not u win or lose. :D

18. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    and yeah, I hate it when ppl worse than me just come up and try to "teach" me something. ... I politely listen and confirm or tell my point of view on what they're trying to teach me... but ya... i try to keep this point of view when/if I am actually teaching others. I'd either ask if they want me to show them how i do it or suggest a small tip... but never go onto lecture ppl... that can get annoying! :mad:

19. SibugiChai

YAB
    talking about this!

Some years back... One guy who level is slightly above begineer try to teach his 1st time partner (A Woman) how to play.

Little did he know that... His Woman Partner is actually a coach from CHINA!

The Woman use to coach Zhang Ning, Lulan & etc when they were kids...

We watching from outside LOL from the sideline...

This is ONE of the PRIME example of BEGINEER who thinks they are GOOD! :D

20. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

Even after playing with the coach, he didn't realize?

Anyone I know sibugi? :p