Mohammad Ahsan/Rian Agung Saputro

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by titionthewall, Aug 26, 2017.

1. titionthewall

titionthewall Regular Member

Pediatric resident, badminton fan
    Congratulations to Ahsan/Rian for going to the World Championship finals!!

They are to me, the perfect example for the underdog story who overcome insults and prejudice to finally prove the worth (....almost, will be even more perfect tomorrow!). Almost every fan in Indonesia doubted them when they were listed as players who would go to Glasgow and think that they should stay for SEA Games (including me).
    It also makes for a sweeter victory as Ahsan is the literal reigning champion, only now he returns with a different partner.
    Everyone always praises Hendra as the 'god' or 'legend' one, but actually Ahsan is also as capable as him!!

Looking forward for tomorrow's match!!

2. Justin N.

Justin N. Regular Member

Very surprisingly excellent performance from Saputro. We've gotten so used to seeing Ahsan being backcourt player, but then wow! Surely that threw off the Chinese team to push them all the way to finals.

3. Master

Master Regular Member

Ahsan/Rian withdrawn from Vietnam GP this week and they're aren't participating in next Korea SS, Japan SS or Dutch GP.

They have plenty of time to prepare for their upcoming performance at Denmark SSP.

4. titionthewall

Am not really sure about this decision. Skipping a grand prix is alright, but going straight to SSP and foregoing several SS? :/
    Ahsan/Rian hasn't been doing very well so far in SS/SSP level (except of course the WC), so I think they should try getting some SS titles first instead of diving directly into SSP.
    But coach Herry should know best, he is the reason why Indonesia has always produced world level MD pairs continuously in the last decade afterall.

5. titionthewall

Ahsan might play a lot of back court during his partnership with Hendra, but I think he is originally (or prefers to be) a front court player. Hendra is just simply too good in front so he was prioritised.

I think one of very few problems of Ahsan/Hendra partnership is that Ahsan always wanted to go front and then Hendra would go to the back, in which he doesn't excel.

And speaking about Ahsan/Rian, I think Ahsan is now at his most comfortable position, but Rian isn't very good (yet!) in giving strong smashes to back Ahsan up.

6. Master

Master Regular Member

First of all, the registration for Korea SS and Japan SS have been closed before World Champions started to played. So originally they would entering Vietnam GP after joining World Championship no matter the result is.

Their surprising performance in World Championship is the key answer why they are registered in Denmark SSP and cancelling their participation in Vietnam GP.

The time frame for each tournament (when it open/close the registration) sometimes make us reading the plan with some twist.

titionthewall likes this.