Miscellaneous Tournaments 2018

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by Justin L, Mar 21, 2018.

1. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

LOL
    just watched the Mia vs Saito match on youtube ....
    i have to agree with CunningLinguist here ... i really need to call Mia - piss-poor bitch ... so lame ...
    as for the umpire ... overruling that call on the smash and the lack of warning whatsoever whole game ... really lame ....

good luck for the future Saito .... worthy addition to Japan team ... just don't be another HeBingjiao ....lol

Cunning Linguist likes this.
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

I watched the whole match... didn't see anything shocking...

Perhaps once hit bird into net by accident on returning the shuttle, that's about it, if that's what you're referring to.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Can you give some specific examples ? I was wondering what incident justifies such a strong description.

4. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Just your usual virtual-signalling snowflake who's not seen much real competition/nastiness -- nothing not covered by the bwf rules or anything mature adults like the umpire can't handle.

Nothing as controversial or grievous as Li Yongbo shouting at Lin Dan from the coaches' chair to "take down" Lee Chongwei (so loud that LCW heard) or JPN WD coach allegedly shouting "out" (sitting right behind the line judge) at Rio Olympics Final, etc. -- that's why bwf is looking at limiting court-side coaching

But I do have to point out that the umpiring standard was about equal to standards of the players -- i.e. very good Pro-Am or Semi-Pro level -- which probably makes both umpire/judges and players alike more "edgy", because Hawkeye is not available in Super 100s....

I mean, look at the way the umpire made a wrong call (made a call just BEFORE contact) and corrected herself for "pre-judging" -- confusing the hell out of Mark Caljouw... Luckily he came back to win the match.

#64 Forestal, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  5. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

But I'm already investing in Saena... Well, as long as Okuhara stays top.

6. It'sMeMeMe

Marin returns shuttle improperly to opponent after making mistake - i hate seeing those already
    this Mia i count more than 10 times didn't even try to come or walk approaching the shuttle.... there was even 1 time she returns the shuttle hit the net didn't even apologize didn't even come forward at all

if those are not the signs of piss-poor loser i don't know what is... maybe i live in a different era i guesd

Cunning Linguist likes this.
  7. It'sMeMeMe

sure i may not seen much live badminton matches in stadium personally in my life
    however i watched many many recording of badminton matches including the more than 1 TByte badminton recordings in my hard disks
    yet i can't recall any as bad as this Mia
    sure Marin may come close or exceed in some cases.... but i can recall only these 2 players??
    oh wow i guess badminton as becoming more modern will also lose simple courtesy?

that umpire overrule smash was uncalled for .... even Mia herself didn't protest almost at all... look at that smash location from umpirr position it's really dumb

sure bwf may not have rules that cover these stupidities... that still won't prevent me from cursing

can't imagine grown ups giving examples of piss-poor badminton courtesy in final match to those young children present in the stadium..... oh i hope not a single children present i guess.... being optimistic..... still piss-poor

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Your use of descriptive terms and the referring to being an example to kids makes it kind of difficult to take you seriously..LOL

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I wonder what were the Mandarin words used by Li Yongbo to Lin Dan, '拿下' 他 ? Which can be generally translated as "beat (i.e. defeat, win victory over) " him.

'Take down' would imply " take apart, dismantle, or "lower the arrogance or self-esteem of", a bit overboard. Is that what LYB said or meant? I'm not sure. Apparently, some things can be done but not said, or can be said but not done; otherwise, it might offend the sensitivities of certain people.

Obviously, the two players on opposite sides of the court are not doing the tango but trying their level best to beat or "take down" each other, but, still, the coaches are not supposed to say it out loud as that would be in-your-face, for badminton is widely viewed as a gentleman's sport.

Even so, I doubt that's one of the reasons BWF have in mind for wanting to consider doing away with courtside coaching. Probably, it's BWF's wish to see the sport contested by the two players/pairs themselves without any outside help during the match albeit at intervals between games (or in-between points), as in tennis, the closest game to badminton (unlike some other sports, eg basketball, volleyball, boxing, squash).

I admit , making negative or pejorative remarks whether by the player(s) or coach(es) to their opponent should constitute an offence as it's an attempt at intimidation of the opponent. But, to say that a coach shouting to his player to beat the other guy is regarded as a "controversial and grievous" action, that's going too far, I think.

#69 Justin L, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  10. It'sMeMeMe

whatever.....we all have our opinion....

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

12. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I wanna watch her play. If anybody is able to give the link , i appreciate it.

13. Baddyforall

I wanna watch her play. If anybody is able to give the link , i appreciate it.

14. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Lol, fantastic "draw" for that tournament from a Chinese perspective. :D

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What to do, the timing and stature of this small WTS100 event is just not attractive and/or convenient enough for the majority of the world's players to make a trip there.

Note that the Lingsui Masters was previously an International Challenge level tournament, only promoted this year to WTS100, equivalent to GP level in the old structure.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In the MS draw, I counted Firman Kholik as one of the title contenders and had not expected him to be ousted in R1 by Lin Yu Hsien who is no shabby player no doubt.

Sun Feixiang stopping the veteran Ajay Jayaram in convincing manner going by the score is a good start for the CHN youngster. Lu Chia Hung's defeat to unknown Cao Yufeng is unexpected as well.

After the opening round, the two foreign MS players who can deny the CHN contingent are , I believe, Lin Yu Hsian and Heo Kwang Hee. Not sure how far the Israeli, Misha Zilberman, can go.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks to antssantss who informed me that there is Livestream on videostream.dn.ua and Replays on YouTube badminton for the ongoing Lingsui Masters'18 from R1 onwards.

18. Baddyforall

Ajay jayaram is in the process of retiring. Not participating in tournaments he used to be before. I was surprised after seeing his name in China Masters. His level is not at all in the same level as he used to be. He is 30 already. What can we expect? .

Better retire gracefully.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Here they are on youtube
    for Court 1

and
    for Court 2

20. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Sun Feixiang, the dominant junior champion of 2016 is small but not devoid power. Nice to see him back on the circuit.