Misbun's WC prediction

Discussion in 'World Championships 2003' started by Cheung, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    From Star Online

Watch out for the dark horses, warns coach Misbun

PETALING JAYA: The top guns will definitely be out in full force for the World Championships which will be held in Birmingham from May 12-18 but there are pretenders to the crown as well.

Malaysian head singles coach Misbun Sidek said the World Championships would not be short of players who might not be able to win the competition, but could play the spoiler's role.

Among those players who should not be under-estimated in the world meet are Thailand's Boonsak Polsana, Hongkong's Agus Hariyanto, Japanese Shoji Sato, Indonesian Budi Santoso and Dane Anders Boesen.

“They have not won any big titles but they are seasoned campaigners on the Grand Prix circuit. If they are playing well on that day, anyone, including the top players, will find it hard to topple them on that day. These players live for the day when they create a big upset,” said Misbun.

Misbun certainly does not need to remind the Malaysian players of this.

In the last world meet in Seville two years, Roslin Hashim was ranked as the world number one and top seed but only made it as far as the second round. Roslin crashed out in straight games to Tam Kai Chuen, an unfancied player from Hong Kong.

Olympic champion Ji Xinpeng was also bundled out on the same day, by another Hong Kong player, Hariyanto.

In the 1999 competition held in Copenhagen, Ukrainian Vladislav Druvchenko showed the seeded Ong Ewe Hock the door in the first round itself.

Misbun said he expects next month's competition to offer more of the same.

The top seeded players like China's Chen Hong and Xia Xuanze, Indonesia's Taufik Hidayat and Danish shuttlers Kenneth Jonassen and Anders Boesen will have to tread with caution.

“They are not invincible and can be beaten. It is also a challenge to our players. If they take their chances well, there is no reason to fear them.”

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Two years ago, before the Seville WC, an article appeared in Star Online. Misbun put some names out for dark horses. One of those names then beat Roslin!!!

3. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Overarted dark hose

Every tournament will have dark horses anyway especially in men's single due to erratic ranking of players. To me, a solid player should not lose to someone who's not in the same level as him or else he should fully take the blame like Roslin and Ong Ewe Hock due to over-confident or underestimation of their respective opponents. It's easy to say "this thing happen" but still it's not acceptable in my opinion. I don't mind who win the battle among Chen Hong, Xia Xuanze, Boa Chulai, Lin Dan, Choon Hann, Hafiz, Peter Gade, Lee Hyun Il, Taufik Hidayat as they are in the same league to me, however if any one of these players lose to Santoso, Lee Tsuen Seng, Jonnasen, Ronald Sisilo, Boonsak, peter Rasmussen, Ander Boesen or the so call dark horse would make me furious.
    Now that I have spoken my mind, feel free to shoot at me :)

4. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    hey han... i wonder if peter rasmussen should be in your dark horse list...
    he's actually pretty skilled. it seems to me that his consistency (and hence
    his ranking) is most affected by the fact that he's so prone to injury.
    unlucky guy...

5. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Dark horse - Peter Rasmussen

Yes, Peter Rasmussen can be considered as a dark horse in my book. The former World Champion, in my opinion, does not have the speed and stamina to fight with my favourites. Rasmussen is not the same player when he won the WC,he was high octane and super speed back then( yes, younger too). Anyway, I can't beat him even he's playing with his left hand.(yes, I know he's a lefty :)