Mid flex, fast, easy on the arm racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by kingsooji, Nov 16, 2022.

1. kingsooji

kingsooji Regular Member

Hi,

My current racket is Bravesword 12 strung with BG80. I don't know the tension as I bought it second hand. I love the fast frame and mid flex. Where I lack is in smashes and clears from baseline. I bought Ashaway Viper XT1600 and strung with NBG98 @ 24lbs. But it felt more stiff than Bravesword 12 and I'm not able to generate any power for clears and smashes.

Shuttle used: Nylon - Mavis 350 Blue (100%)
    Game: Doubles (100%)
    Level of play: mid to high Intermediate, I'm trying :)
    Preferred String: BG80 (wish to try BG66UM in the next). I liked the hard feel, control that it gives. NBG98 felt numb and had no power.

Looking for a racket with the same sweet spot, flex, fast frame, with bit more power and easy on the arms as a BRS 12. Wish to try non-yonex brands please.

Currently interested in:
    Auraspeed 90k
    King K9 4U

I won't be able to get Jnice, Felet where I live.

Thanks

2. itsmebobdesu

itsmebobdesu New Member

maybe u can try auraspeed 90f? or nanoflare 700, its a bit tad stiffer than 90f based on my feelings

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

kingsooji likes this.
  3. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Get it restrung with a string and tension you like, just to be sure what tension it is measured at :D. I've tried most of Yonex' strings and use BG66 Ultimax with most of my racquets. Trialling Aerosonic to see if it makes much difference. I think the specs were about the same as BG66U.

Also;

Work on your technique.

Relaxed forehand grip, squeeze fingers just before impact.

Make sure the shuttle doesn't "drop" before you hit it.

Start sideways on, use the Kinetic chain. Anyone can use shoulder only to hit a shuttle. By using all of your body into it (feet, legs, abs/trunk, shoulder, arm, elbow, wrist, fingers is how you do good clears / smashes.

kingsooji likes this.
  4. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

If u can still get, try turbocharging n7ii light or 75i.
    Both of them is same racket actually but n7ii light looks colorful , when 75i is vintage. But in 5u model only.
    Ars100x , 88sp, NF700, Bladex 800 for another option

kingsooji likes this.
  5. SinggihSW

SinggihSW Regular Member

Im sorry but i dont know much about other racket brands, but i could recommend you Yy Arcsaber 7 Pro as Arcsaber series always being compared to Bravesword Series in the old days.

Its an even balance and easy racket to play with, you could play every shot effortlessly. It has a power for smashing, but will not give you a hard smash like astrox, voltric or TK series.
    7p is a medium stiff racket and pretty fast in manouvering the court. You could watch the review on Youtube, and i recommend you to watch CK's review on it.

NF700 is also a good option, but i wouldnt recommend it to you, this thing frame is fragile. I broke mine just a couple months ago because of light clash with my brother Arc 11 OG. It cracked after the clash while my bro Arc11 leave with just a scratch on the paint.

kingsooji likes this.
  6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

It sound like BRS12 are like year old string that never snap from the moment you get it or even worst its even longer than that from the 1 st owner.
    Old string lose its elasticity & not to mention unknown tension.
    Hope its not, but if its true then 1st thing to do are restring it with ur setup & restring like 1-2x to adjust to the racket characteristic like addup or losenup 1-2lbs. By then you need to decide if its the racket or not.

kingsooji likes this.
  7. kingsooji

kingsooji Regular Member

That's something which I practice every time I go in court. I always make sure there is a gap in my palm-fingers, my grip is relaxed. And get the squeeze timing right.

It's when the timing is off a bit slightly and the shuttle has dropped when my clears become ineffective.

I noticed an elder gentleman doing clears very well at a string tension of 18lb.

I will take a look at all the recommendations too. Thank you everyone.

8. kingsooji

kingsooji Regular Member

I love the control, placement, defense part of the BRS - String set up now. Enjoying the drops, drives, net shots (can use it like a scalpel) , pushes with just wrist. Hence hesitant to change the string.

It's just that when I see my clears / smashes aren't effective from baseline I wish I had little bit more oomph.

9. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Still a dead string are just dead & tho it still playable, it just feel hollow. If my guest are right, suggest u to restring it 1st.

I would avoid to advice any other racket as your perception about power might be different to me & power racket play different than speed racket. Afterall BRS are known for lack of power but still loved by many. So restring it might turn it more lively & better repulsion to give you some little of juice which are enough for you than totaly power oriented racket model.

Unless u just want a new toy:p

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You might want to try raising the racquet a bit earlier in preparation for the smash or clear.

Quite a lot of people let the arm hang down or only have it midway up when they get into position. Frequently, the result is racquet swinging a bit late to the striking point and much less efficient power transfer, especially if a little off balance.

Try preparing the racquet on the previous step so that you have the racquet already pointing upwards to the ceiling on the final step to position for your clear/smash. It will feel awkward

11. kingsooji

kingsooji Regular Member

New toy ? of course yes ! regardless of age we boys always like new toys :).

Good suggestion, I would have to find some grommets too. The red ones.

12. kingsooji

kingsooji Regular Member

Good point.
    When I do have the time for the clear/smash I have to adjust my swing speed as BRS swings very fast. I get myself and racket into position rather quickly.
    When I am being pushed/off-balance the shots wouldn't come up as desired.

13. kingsooji

kingsooji Regular Member

string broke on my go to BRS 12 , had to play with the backup Ashaway Viper - NBG98, 24lbs. Immediately felt the lack of power (more effort was required, possibly the more stiffer nature of racket). Gave the BRS to restring, BG66 UM @ 24lbs. I was opting 22-23lbs, but the stringer recommended I go for 24lb at the least irrespective of me using nylon shuttles 100% of the time.

The previous string BG80 was my favorite, hard feeling, rough, good feel. Just wanted to give the repulsive BG66 a try.

14. Barkov Maxim

Barkov Maxim Regular Member

I could recommend Tectonic 7 or honor S9, two different but very nice rackets. T7 could be better candidate for your requarements.

15. kingsooji

kingsooji Regular Member

Have you tried the Honor S9?. What would be a comparable Yonex/Li-Ning/Victor racket?.

BRS12 was restrung with BG66 Ultimax @ 24lbs. Played 3-4 hours. Definitely springier than BG80. Bird just flies to rear court. Trying to adjust to the control as the feel is different for drops/slices/net tumbles.

16. kingsooji

kingsooji Regular Member

Never mind @Barkov Maxim , I read your comparison review in the other thread. Thank you.

17. Barkov Maxim

Barkov Maxim Regular Member

Yes, now I play by 100zz (from time to time, the best control), tectonic 7 and honor s9.
    If I have a difficult day or on the tournament T7 is the best. Good smash, very good defence, good control, reasonable drive and clear.

S9 has good smash, very repulsive -> very good drives and good clears, but it is unstable for me. Flat dropshots are OK, but slice drops do not work up to now (after three playing sessions).

S9 most emotional one with reasonable speed.
    T7 fast, stable racket.
    100zz 3U precise, but hard to work (slow defence) tool.

18. kingsooji

kingsooji Regular Member

Bravesword 12 3U, BG66 @24, Nylon (Mavis 300 Blue) , doubles, place South-East Canada.

Scenario 1, Place A:
    20 players, 4 courts (recreation complex).
    Clears, smashes goes well. Flex of the racket was put to good use for easy clears and sharp smashes. Had to adjust power/speed just so that clears wouldn't go far behind the baseline

Scenario 2, Place B:
    35-40 players, 6 courts (school gym)
    Had to use lot more strength for clears yet the bird only travels till doubles back service line, smashes ineffective - seem to hold in the air.

Questions:
    1. How much does density of air affect travel of bird ?.
    2. Does temperature affect racket flex, string mobility?.
    3. I wished I had a 3U slightly head heavy racket in Scenario 2. 88D 3U ? Any other suggestions ?
    Thank you.

19. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Weather & hall size affect the shuttle speed.
    On wet rainy day, there is more water particle in the air that hold up the shuttle which makes them slower than on dry hot air weather.
    A big & well circulated hall had higher air density than small village hall turn into badminton court & higher density slow down the shuttle.

For your 2 scenario, i couldnt help thinking more about technique. When you play with lower lv, it seems you could execute everything easily as very rarely you are under preasure but on higher lv, thing wont be as easy as it is. You will always under constant preasure which makes everything harder to execute.

20. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

The temperature a racquet is stored in will affect the string.

Think of it as your muscles. Too cold and they snap easy. That's why we warm up before playing.

Win Htet likes this.