Mid 70`s Gold Top racket ?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by F MORRISON, Sep 8, 2020.

1. F MORRISON

F MORRISON New Member

Hello all from this old guy from Bonny Scotland.

I must be going through a very late midlife crisis or just bored.

Was thinking back to my first Yonyama YY racket and cannot find anything on it .
    Perhaps someone can help .
    It was the model below the Blacken , I believe it was the 1st Blacken but may be wrong .
    I think it was around 1978/79 I got it for my 14th Birthday .
    It had a Gold aluminium top , stainless shaft , white cone with YY { I cannot remember what B number it was I though B700}. It had a beige/brown grip and a white endcap with Green YY .

I loved it until someone at the Carlton tournament deliberately stood on it and broke it ,, Gutted . Got another but just wasnt that one bought for me by my Dad .
    Thanks in Advance Frank.

Dave1011 likes this.
  2. ubootsg

ubootsg Regular Member

semi-retired
    Hi Frank.
    The model no. for the Blacken is B8100. The next model below is the Alumina Hy-power B8000 but this has a metallic light green head. Your description seems to match the next model down, the Alumina Ace B7000, which has a gold coloured head and a beige/brown leather grip.
    This is the world's first t-joint metal racket introduced by Yonex in 1968.

F MORRISON likes this.
  3. F MORRISON

F MORRISON New Member

Awe many many thanks Ubootsg . I had for whatever reason thought the Gold Top I had was next to the Blacken so thanks you for the update . Still got me to the semis of the Carlton .

4. ubootsg

ubootsg Regular Member

semi-retired
    Coincidentally, I managed to pick one up (your B7000) today at an Op Shop for $3. It was in pretty good nick as well, no rust on the shaft and the leather grip in good condition.

F MORRISON likes this.
  5. F MORRISON

F MORRISON New Member

Lucky you.
    To me the Blacken or "Blacky" was lighter but not as balanced as the B7000 . Just my opinion .

6. ubootsg

ubootsg Regular Member

semi-retired
    Yes Frank. When the Blacken arrived on the scene, it was 'state of the art', being the lightest and most powerful racket on the market I dare say. I would like to think that the B8000 Alumina Hy-power was a useful compromise: having the balance of the B7000 but a stiffer shaft that would give it some of the smashing power of the Blacken.

7. F MORRISON

F MORRISON New Member

Thanks for the info .
    As I say I wasnt aware of the B8000 in between the Blacken and my B7000 .
    I am still on the hunt for one to stick on the wall if there`s enough space along with all the other sports stuff gracing said wall .
    I assume your still playing ? If so do you ever play with the older rackets ?
    Frank.

8. ubootsg

ubootsg Regular Member

semi-retired
    Hi Frank. Yes I'm still playing, and I also still play with my vintage rackets. Just as there're people who take their vintage/classic cars out for a drive and not put them into a museum, I take mine out for a 'spin' and get to enjoy them! These include a number of 'woodies' as well as a no. of the old T-joint Yonex and Carlton ones. I no longer play competitively but just social and recreational games at a local club.